Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One for the "did you ever" file

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:07 PM
2003Custom1200
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: One for the "did you ever" file

that is true... stop light to stop light its hard to beat a sportster.. co-worker has a v-star 1100 custom.. yeah the bike is bigger but a smaller motor.. he always gives me crap for riding a little bike... so stop lights i alwasy blow him away.. he may have me on the top end of things... but there is a speed limit so who cares how fast u can go.. its how quick u can get there.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:41 PM
orvisbre
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

big bikes are for married couples.......=)......nightsters are for the young guns of the harley world......... I bought my bike for me (my needs , styling choice) not for what anyone else thinks of it. Will it blow away the other harleys? Yea most likely, do i care ?? no. Do i need comfort for the long haul w/ the old lady? No.......Can i put on a nice sexy young lady on the back? yes............if it wasnt for the newer younger targeted harley designs (nightster, rocker, cross bones) would i be riding a rocket? (no b/c i dont want to kill my self at 22) but i wouldnt of bought a bike yet. I would of waited until i was done with college when i can afford a 30-50,000$ chopper. And im so glad that i didnt b/c i love my harley.

im glad i got introduced to the harley crowd young b/c i feel like i belong to more then just a HOG. Ride for who you are, not what others are. I see it so many times people buy things to make others happy. One of those "get what i got" or else your not cool. Just b/c i don't spend 20,000$ on a harley doesnt mean that i cant, it just means that i choose the bike that i wanted.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:56 PM
Racer_Rick
Cruiser

I got the bike for several reasons. It was a trade for a car I hated, I liked my '76 Sportster I had back in the late seventies, I'm tired after almost 30 years of riding Jap junk, & all I like to do is putt around town & from time to time tow it to Colorado. Do I care what others think? Nope. Am I glad to be back on a Harley? YES! Main thing I enjoy about this bike is there aren't any like it to be found here. Those Evo guys looking down their noses at me best look up because if you blink, I'm gone

Old 01-30-2008, 08:29 PM
ride2tires
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hear it all the time...

the girlfriend bought a SG Dyna and all the folks I ride with thought I would be "moving up". Not so much.

still lead, still ride sweep on the sporty.

a few make comments..... most get a little glimmer in their eye...

I really don't give a sheeet about the comments- reason being is simple= why in the heck should someone else care what I ride?

Old 01-30-2008, 09:04 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Happens occasionally. I just ask them how many miles they have on their Big-twin. That will shut them up in a hurry.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:07 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 01-30-2008, 09:18 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: schumacher

LoL..... Yep, at least once a week.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:23 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Yanno, when I first joined this forum, I responded to one of these threads with"just kick'em in the teeth and walk away"
A few of you made fun of that comment....but I still stick by it [8D]

Old 01-31-2008, 01:06 AM
jackofhearts
Tourer

Yes, there are some who question why I bought the Sportster, most of thosejust do not know how sweet it is and just repeat that mantra. So many nice guys do not care a bit, but do like to have some fun with it just like if you wore that pink shirt your girlfirend bought you for christmas. You will get ****. I was raised on rice. If I wanted to go faster, I would have went rice. Speed, power, looksand comfortshould match the rider, and if you need more speed, your beating a dead horse. rice will always win. I shopped for my bike for over a year. I looked at them all. I could have had any one I wanted. The custom, big tank, little frame, harley and chrome, is just what I, "I" wanted. Get what you "you" want. That is why they make all kinds. "better" is basically an opinion, and opinions can rarely be wrong. My friend says riding his Ultra is like sitting in a lawn chair. He says he never busts 60 mph. He wouldn't like my sportster for more that a joy ride, and wouldn't want to spin around on his all the time. True, stock bikes, sportsters or otherwise sometimes are overlooked by those fixed up at the get togethers, that is normal. I have lots of chrome, and keep it shiny and clean and always get looks and complements. Keep it clean and you will usually get attention. You just can't let ignorance bother you. Ride on.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:40 AM
2000sporty
6th Gear

Alot of people ride bigger bikes because theyare more comfortable..or they ride 2 up.

I do agree, the comments do get old after a while.

But the 1200sportster is the best looking, most nimble, andquickest Harley out there.
I have been riding for 30 years, and there is nothing like a Sportster.
Loud and Fast.....

I had a Buddy that had a Dyna for about a year....Sunk alot of bucks into it, and always
made fun of my Sportster er....Girls Bike.......Right before he would ask me if he could take it for a spin every chance he got....

He rides a Nightster now.....Best bike he ever owned according to him...

Quick Reply: One for the "did you ever" file