Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One for the "did you ever" file

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:48 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts
Default RE: One for the "did you ever" file

When we went up for demo days this summer we were there most of the day and did a lot of people watching, there were a lot of bikes there so people were wandering around the parking lot like it was a bike show. I seemed that everyone spent the most time looking at their own style of bikes, baggers looked at baggers, sportster owners paused and talked mostly at the other sportsters and so on. It did seem most of the big twin guys walked right by the stock sportsters I think they see tham as mini versions of their own big bike, quite a fewdid pause and look at a few modified sportsters, mine did get some attention I think because it was different with the drag bars and stripped down look. Everyone was very nice and I didn't hear a negitive comment on anything.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Racer_Rick
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gotta agree with the waving statement, I usually wave first & always wave at anyone. We've had a couple of statements about what it's like to have a early H-D but some snotty ones too. Guess it's that way whatever you do. This is our ironhead

Old 01-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member

Great looking Ironhead Rick.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Racer_Rick
Cruiser

Thanks

Old 01-29-2008, 07:08 PM
2003Custom1200
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i do love those bikes as well.. just a piece of tru american history.. my uncles has an old panhead just sitting in teh grandparents basement.. and just makes me cry b/c it hasnt been rode let alone started in atleast 10 if not 15 years... just makes me sad...

a friend of mine just picked up a 76 xlh1000 he got from his grandpa who got it from who knows were... for $650.00... needs some work but still lucky kid.. he is goin to school for auto body.. so all the tin work will get done and get a new coat of paint.. gonna be sunset orange metallic with silver and black secondary colors.. should turn out a good lookin bike.. but we will see..

Old 01-30-2008, 06:02 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know... some people just get too hung up on what others think...

Personally, I ride up like I own the joint... Take my place on the front row.... Sometimes, I make a new front row...[8D]

The only thing I can tell ya' is, "Ride With Pride", it'll come across...

Charlie D.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:23 AM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 2003Custom1200

i do love those bikes as well.. just a piece of tru american history.. my uncles has an old panhead just sitting in teh grandparents basement.. and just makes me cry b/c it hasnt been rode let alone started in atleast 10 if not 15 years... just makes me sad...

a friend of mine just picked up a 76 xlh1000 he got from his grandpa who got it from who knows were... for $650.00... needs some work but still lucky kid.. he is goin to school for auto body.. so all the tin work will get done and get a new coat of paint.. gonna be sunset orange metallic with silver and black secondary colors.. should turn out a good lookin bike.. but we will see..
If you have the space and some wrenching skills (I know I dont), have you ever thought about asking the Uncle if you could have the panhead as a renovation project? I imagine after that many years it would require a complete strip down and rebuild at the very least and no doubt some parts would require extensive work or replacement. But it could be a labour of love.

I agree that it seems a crying shame to be left there to rot.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:54 AM
steve m
6th Gear

The Harley-Davidson Motorcycle per se seems more often than not the victim of unrestricted badmouth.close aquaintance with an H-D XLH Sportster for the purpose of gathering data for this road test indicates much of this irrational vindictive is based on ignorance,bad judgment and more likely pure jealousy. (Quote from Cycle World Road test April 1968). I guess some thing never change

Old 01-30-2008, 11:47 AM
2003Custom1200
Tourer

If you have the space and some wrenching skills (I know I dont), have you ever thought about asking the Uncle if you could have the panhead as a renovation project? I imagine after that many years it would require a complete strip down and rebuild at the very least and no doubt some parts would require extensive work or replacement. But it could be a labour of love.

I agree that it seems a crying shame to be left there to rot.
well i would ask.. but he is a little far out there at times.. and the only thing that would need to be done is.. seat re-done.. and the tank repainted has one small scratch on it.. this is "one" of his babys put gas in it.. and if u could kick it over it would probly start... o well someday.. could be mine

Old 01-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Elvis Nixon
Tourer

Next time someone gives you a hassle about riding a Sportster, whip out a couple crisp $100 bills and point to the next stoplight.....

Quick Reply: One for the "did you ever" file