Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New sportie - Helmet lock and centerstand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 01:08 AM
bill_reinwald
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New sportie - Helmet lock and centerstand?

Hello, just joined the ranks of sportster owners as of yesterday. I had pretty good luck, knew the color/model I wanted, and went to the dealer just to look around, and it turned out they were having a $500 off MSRP on all in stock sporties, and they had the exact one I wanted, and $500 off I wasn't even expecting. Woot. So, I rode it home today, and although its cold(ish, I'm in CA), I am pretty damned happy about it.

But, I have 2 newbie questions that I didn't think to ask at the dealer - where's the helmet lock and centerstand?

I've had a metric cruiser for about 15 years, and I just assumed these would be standard, really didn't think about them until I stopped to get some food, and realized I couldn't find the helmet lock, and couldn't find it in the little owners booklet either. Same with a centerstand, the booklet says things like "put the bike on the jiffy stand", and "put the bike upright". I know the jiffy stand = kickstand, but the fact they don't mention how to put the bike upright makes me think there isn't a stand that's hidden or that I'm not seeing. Then again, it was sunny as hell and all the chrome kinda blinded me, so I could've pretty easily just missed either or both. I think I'll need an extra dark pair of shades just to wear when approaching the bike

Anyway, let me know how dumb I am for not being able to find these if they exist, or for not asking at the dealer in the first place if they don't!

bill

[IMG]local://upfiles/7345/E6AB9DFE7B7540E2A3A4E626CACDB179.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-16-2006, 01:14 AM
RAJ
Tourer
Default RE: New sportie - Helmet lock and centerstand?

Nice looking Sporty, but they are no helmet lock or centerstand. I also was looking for a centerstand when I got mine.

Old 01-16-2006, 01:17 AM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There is neither on your bike, sorry dude. you can add a helmet lock, they have them listed as a Multi-Fit item in the catalog. It is made to bolt to frame tube or handle bar, I mounted mine to side plate of sissy bar opposite exhaust. Less than $20. Oh and WELCOME!!!! More pics!!!!!!!!

Old 01-16-2006, 01:22 AM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

like they all said - but would like to add, security is in the model (Harley)and locks are for honest people. anyone who f's with a harley has gonads of golith and soon to be beatin toothless

Old 01-16-2006, 01:28 AM
Johnny
Outstanding HDF Member

Like the others said, they don't exist.

Old 01-16-2006, 10:12 AM
silverbullet2006
Cruiser

my wife says i need a new helmet so if some one wants mine while im tipping back a few please go right ahead. hope the b------ dont get head lice.

Old 01-16-2006, 10:38 AM
Slumpys1200c
Advanced

Like everybody else said, they don't put them on HDs. Oh yeah, welcome and that's a good looking sporty you have.

!!! RIDE SAFE !!!

Keith in Pa.
05 1200 custom "Lava"

Old 01-16-2006, 06:49 PM
bill_reinwald
Novice

Thanks for the responses, guess I wasn't blind. The bike is stock for now, except the front wheel, but I've got an appointment for a few extras coming up next week, stage I/new seat/windshield/Revolver front wheel and some other little things, and then I'll post some more pics.

bill

Old 01-16-2006, 07:03 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

HD aint no security factor today. Thats why I got the lock for my helmet and installed it. Aint leaving $200 bucks hanging there for some *** to just walk away with.

Old 01-16-2006, 08:26 PM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in the land of "Americade" - started out as a early tourist season "Goldwing" type affiar but has grown into a monster 80.000 plus week long mix of bikers and brands, swap meets and fun - I don't think I have ever heard of someone walking off with a helmet and they all leave them on or near the bikes. I'll have to look into this. I still laugh when I see people payig 50 plus to be lead on "tours" of the adirondacks - I cruise them for free anytime.

Quick Reply: New sportie - Helmet lock and centerstand?