Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 09:24 AM
Slumpys1200c
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fatboy Dilemma

Hey everybody,
I have a big dilemma hovering over my head. I presently have a 05 1200 custom with stage 1 done and the touring seat and back rest installed. There are other things, minor ones, that I have done to the bike. Earlier this week, Monday to be exact, It was very mild here in Pa. and away I went. As ususal, my first stop was the stealership. I walked in the front door and there it was! a 2004 Fatboy with only 2500 miles. Black, Python pipes, touring backrest, windshield, and a lot of chrome! It is one sharp looking touring bike (in my book it is a touring bike).
I did want to upgrade in a couple of years when the money was there. But this bike is REALLY sharp, in my eyes. This would also be a more comfortable bike on the long hauls with both of us on it. ARGH! Does anybody have any suggestions? I posted a similar question over in the softail section and of course all the responses were go for it. But I am really unsure. Help!!!!!!!! All advice wanted! Sorry about rambling on for I am confused.

!!! RIDE SAFE !!!

Keith in Pa.
05 1200 custom "Lava"

Old 01-13-2006, 09:31 AM
LUV2RIDE
Advanced
Default RE: Fatboy Dilemma

Keep your sporty, buy the fatboy...thats what I did. theres nothing wrong about haveing two hogs

Old 01-13-2006, 12:25 PM
ronn39
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Slumpys1200c

..... I did want to upgrade in a couple of years when the money was there. But this bike is REALLY sharp, in my eyes.
It perplexes me somewhat when I see that statement, like the Sportster is a low grade. If you traded in your Corvette for a Cadillac SUV, is that an "upgrade?" If the Fatboy fits your needs better and puts a twinkle in your eye, go for it.

Old 01-13-2006, 01:06 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I think "ronn39" has hit the nail on the head. It's all about what you want and the way you like to ride. I have buddies who, if they had a Road King, would sell it and get a Honda CR-250. They would consider this an "upgrade".

The stigma of being the least expensive Harley-Davidson is the curse on the Sportster. I could have bought a Road King or a Softail Heritage with my wallet but chose the XL1200R to suit the way I like to ride. The only "upgrades" I consider are in the performance of my bike to bring out its true potential. I do not consider a FatBoy, Softail Heritage, Road King, V-Rod, or Honda CR-250 an "upgrade". They are simply bikes that others want for their reasons.

I bought the bike I wanted. If you WANT the FatBoy then go for it. Ride what you want, and want what you ride.

Thumper26

Old 01-13-2006, 02:27 PM
Slumpys1200c
Advanced

That's my fault everybody. I was in no way putting down the sporty! I was looking at the "upgrade" thing as to long distance riding. I don't know if the sporty would be as comfortable as the bigger bikes. If I could afford to keep the sporty and buy this fatboy, believe me, I would. I plan on taking a few "long" trips from this year on to when I can't ride anymore. So again, my fault. So maybe what I should be asking is can the sporty handle 2-up for a "long" trip and still be comfortable? Thanks again.

!!! RIDE SAFE !!!

Keith in "soupish" Pa.
05 1200 custom "Lava"

Old 01-13-2006, 03:10 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Slumpys1200c,

No offense taken.

I personally can't say whether the Sporty would be a good choice for 2-up touring, but I doubt it. It works fine when I'm alone on long trips, but the Sportster would not be my choice for 2-up touring.

Thumper26

Old 01-13-2006, 06:17 PM
LOTHAR
Cruiser

I just went through the same mental gymnastics. I bought a 2005 1200C last year and am perfectly happy with it. All of my riding buddies kept telling me that I would upgrade and never be satisfied. Well I rode it 500 miles each way to and from Sturgis and even looked at the 2006 low riders as they are nice bikes. I then had a few beers and gazed at my beautiful pearl white sportster and decided that you can't improve on perfection. The ride of a cruiser with the look of a chopper. This ain't the same sportster I drove 30 years ago. the redesign in 04 was a success IMO. I can't justify paying another 5 or 6 grand when I only do a couple of long rides a year. My sporty is too much fun and too manueverable short and mid range to give her up. I have to go now before i get all emotional.[sm=boohoo.gif]

Old 01-13-2006, 08:13 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There is no question that the longer wheel base bikes would be better on longer rides. The smoothness of the twin cam motors is a side benefit. My suggestion is this, figure how many miles you ride locally, how often do you ride locally, are you willing to give up the Sporty on those rides for the Fatboy? Then ask the stealer as you say how much he is going to give for the Sporty? My guess and this is NOT what I think it is worth, it is my guess, as to what he is going to offer, $6500-$7500 tops, and I bet he has the Fatty priced very near what it sold for new. Now is not the time to try for a private sale of a motorcycle either. Motorcycles for sale now are usually sold by people who cannot afford them and everyone knows that, so they think they can jew you down on price, what a hassle. Secondly not many people are wanting to buy now with limited riding time, another hassle.
It boils down to this, you bought the Sporty with the idea that you would "upgrade", you really didn't want a Sporty, but you bought it, now you are spoiled by it. Classic example of and I don't mean this in any derogatory way what so ever, I love my Sporty, but my ego wants the bigger more expensive bike. I am not putting you down here, it's just been my observations since owning a Harley. I entertain thoughts from time to time about this New 35th Anniversary Super Glide, one day I may own one, but it won't be because the Sporty isn't enough bike, it will be because my riding style and habits change. Just my .02

Old 01-13-2006, 08:53 PM
cbrunson
Tourer

I agree with the situation. I bought a 05 1200C and put 2600 miles on it when I decided to “upgrade” for the benefit of touring. (1200+ miles in four days) I was going to buy a wide glide. I ended up with a RK Classic. There are a lot of things I miss about the sporty, but the RK serves its purpose very well. If I could have two bikes, they wouldn’t be softtails or dynas. I would have my RK and a 1200 custom. I still think the 1200C is the best looking bike HD makes. IMO

Old 01-16-2006, 03:05 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

its a fever, everytime i ride into a harley dealer, i see bikes id love to have, as far as keeping the sporty, i wouldnt, it will sit most of the time. i just decided to sell mine cause i only rode it about 1000 miles last year. i had intentions on riding it around town and using the bagger on trips..........just didnt work out that way.

Quick Reply: Fatboy Dilemma