Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Law

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 08:28 AM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Helmet Law

Recently( this week) big brother here in, backward Nebraska, upheld the mandatory helment law.

There reason was it saves lives but more so when a life threating injury occures and the injured person has no means of suport, or Insurance, ( yeah we have mandatory insurance law too) its the state that ends up footing the bill. Usually medicaid.

Yeah we have the mandatory seat belt law too, I always wear both, would be nice to ride once in awhile with out the helmet if I choose to do so.

What I have a real problem with is how they figure it cost the state money when the rider is killed?

Tom

Old 01-19-2008, 09:28 AM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Helmet Law

ORIGINAL: thomasf59

What I have a real problem with is how they figure it cost the state money when the rider is killed?

Tom

LOL. Loss of future tax dollars probably.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:36 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's always a question of money. If the rider dies, they can no longer get any tax money from them. Just a bunch of greedy people "protecting us from ourselves".

Old 01-19-2008, 09:40 AM
CMC
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently( this week) big brother here in, backward Nebraska, upheld the mandatory helment law.

There reason was it saves lives but more so when a life threating injury occures and the injured person has no means of suport, or Insurance, ( yeah we have mandatory insurance law too) its the state that ends up footing the bill. Usually medicaid.

Yeah we have the mandatory seat belt law too, I always wear both, would be nice to ride once in awhile with out the helmet if I choose to do so.

Tom

Say the rider is the breadwinner in the family, and leaves behind a wife and kids... and say the wife has been out of the workforce forever and maybe doesn't have a great education. There you have it, the rider's death just cost the state welfare for his family. Plus emergency workers, paper-pushers, etc.

****, I don't know... but it is constitutional. Long time ago it was challenged in CA, might have gone all the way to the SC, and upheld.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:45 AM
SeanS
Tourer

Just got a bad *** looking helmet that fits good there shouldnt be a problem. Im currently wearing an Icon Mainframe in Skull. Black Visor so I dont have to worry about sunglasses and a fogless clear one at night.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Korbenw7p3c
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Given the choice between a mandatory helmet law and upholding a law of loud pipes of our choice, I'll take the loud pipes any day. Yea, I'm in Illinois where we don't have a mandatory helmet law.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:02 AM
SeanS
Tourer

I hated the idea of wearing a helmet, but after I got my full face helmet I love it. Im in Texas and Ive passed the course that says im allowed to ride without one, but why? It protects, it knocks wind out of your face and keeps you warm in the winter along with blowing enough air inside of it with vents in the summer to keep you cool.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:14 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Korbenw7p3c

Given the choice between a mandatory helmet law and upholding a law of loud pipes of our choice, I'll take the loud pipes any day. Yea, I'm in Illinois where we don't have a mandatory helmet law.
+1 but I'm from WI

Old 01-19-2008, 11:48 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Tom
Problem is you don't always get killed, they arerefering tothe cost of fixing a broken leg and sending you home compared to having a brain dead vegatable in the hospital for the next 30 or 40 years, plus the income tax and welfare thing.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:07 PM
SeanS
Tourer

ORIGINAL: HOTLAP

Tom
Problem is you don't always get killed, they arerefering tothe cost of fixing a broken leg and sending you home compared to having a brain dead vegatable in the hospital for the next 30 or 40 years, plus the income tax and welfare thing.
This man knows.

Quick Reply: Helmet Law