Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Law

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 01:07 PM
redheadedharleylady
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Helmet Law

Yeah I read about that yesterday in our local paper here in McCook NE..I think it should be our choice, not the government's....

[IMG]local://upfiles/32139/39E38996B5194C719906757C74ED7ED7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: thomasf59

What I have a real problem with is how they figure it cost the state money when the rider is killed?

Tom

Uninsured motorist, which means the state pays their medical bills.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:24 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kolni

What I have a real problem with is how they figure it cost the state money when the rider is killed?

Tom

Uninsured motorist, which means the state pays their medical bills.
Wouldn't that include Cagers as well....

America has gone to hell in a handbasket....

Charlie D.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:28 AM
Booey424
Grand HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: CMC

Recently( this week) big brother here in, backward Nebraska, upheld the mandatory helment law.

There reason was it saves lives but more so when a life threating injury occures and the injured person has no means of suport, or Insurance, ( yeah we have mandatory insurance law too) its the state that ends up footing the bill. Usually medicaid.

Yeah we have the mandatory seat belt law too, I always wear both, would be nice to ride once in awhile with out the helmet if I choose to do so.

Tom

Say the rider is the breadwinner in the family, and leaves behind a wife and kids... and say the wife has been out of the workforce forever and maybe doesn't have a great education. There you have it, the rider's death just cost the state welfare for his family. Plus emergency workers, paper-pushers, etc.

****, I don't know... but it is constitutional. Long time ago it was challenged in CA, might have gone all the way to the SC, and upheld.

So by your thinkng the breadwinner for each household should go to work and come right home and stay there,cause if they die the Gov't has to pay for their family?I hope the breadwinner is an accountant or some other kinda safe office job,so they don't die.I guess breadwinners shouldn't drive a truck,work in a steel mill,do construction,because if they die the Gov't will have to pay for their family.

Get the Gov't away from my bike.Let them worry about killing people in the middle east

Old 01-20-2008, 07:51 AM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you wreck you will eitherlive with out being hurt,be physically dependent or be dead.Luck or the lack of it has more to do with it than any helmet.The helmet will keep your head from getting more damage but if you are going fast enough the trama to your body will kill you anyhow.I saw a fine example of that early this summer when a crotch rocket hit a GMC Denalli and spun it around.Parts were every where.None of them from the GMC.A few werefrom the bike.You can guess what the rest were.He had a helmet on though.Pa doesn't have a helmet law it was repealed.Most of the time my wife and I wear ours when we take the bikes out.They do work if you are in the right situation.I have 4 kids and want to see them after the ride even though they **** me off most of the time.LEO's also seem to cut you some slack if you use one.I have seen riders without helmets get pulled over just to be checked out.You have to over 18 and have the motorcycle endorsement to ride without a helmet.My guess is when you see a two up bike and the girl on the back has no helmet she doesn't have the endorsement either.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:57 AM
chornbe
Road Master

Recently( this week) big brother here in, backward Nebraska, upheld the mandatory helment law.

There reason was it saves lives but more so when a life threating injury occures and the injured person has no means of suport, or Insurance, ( yeah we have mandatory insurance law too) its the state that ends up footing the bill. Usually medicaid.

Yeah we have the mandatory seat belt law too, I always wear both, would be nice to ride once in awhile with out the helmet if I choose to do so.

They have to look at the *fact* that the money spent keeping vegetative-state people alive is crazy expensive and peoples' private funds and insurance runs out long before their rational ability to say good by and unplug - or worse, before the veg's body fails - and it costs the commonwealth *LOTS* of money.

Just wear the damned thing and pick better battles. I don't want to support anyone else's stupid choice to be a 30-year vegetable because they just *had* to exercise certain "rights". It's my "right" not to have to pay for anyone else's tube feeding.

Oh, and you have no "rights" on the road. It is a regulated privilege. Your "rights" come in to play when you vote in someone who will enact change. Until then you AGREE to live under the rules of these regulated privileges every time you pay for new tags, renew your license, pay for inspection, etc.

Period.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:00 AM
chornbe
Road Master

ORIGINAL: SeanS

I hated the idea of wearing a helmet, but after I got my full face helmet I love it. Im in Texas and Ive passed the course that says im allowed to ride without one, but why? It protects, it knocks wind out of your face and keeps you warm in the winter along with blowing enough air inside of it with vents in the summer to keep you cool.
Stop using logic and reason and intelligent discussion. They're not part of a motorcycle forum. Silly guy!

Old 01-20-2008, 09:11 PM
dhc8guru
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It shouldn't a law..its freedom of choice. But you have to ask yourself if your brain is worth it? I choose to wear one so that if something does happen too me, I will be able to ride a bike again and not a motorized scooter while driving it with a blow straw.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:18 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

Unless you have been in a position to need the protection offered by a helmet, any of your opinions are based on speculationabout the benefits versus the'loss of freedom'in wearing, or not wearing a helmet.

I won't go into what a head injury is like, but anybody that hasn't already seen them should go over my many posts on the subject. With an open mind mind, not an "I'm too macho to ever need the protection offered by a helmet" attitude.

For now I will just say that wearing a helmet is the lesser of two evils. Those evils being forcedto wear a helmet or having a head injury. Of course they don't offer perfect protection. I was wearing a FF when I crashed while desert racing. But you have no idea of the effect that a bump on your melon can have on your life. And that of your family.

No matter how 'Bad' you are, this is one fight you can't win.With the passage of time and after receiving therapyto relearn things that used to be easy for you to do, you can somewhat mitigate your losses, but your life has you know it now will probably be gone forever.

Ron

Old 01-21-2008, 12:38 AM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: chornbe

Oh, and you have no "rights" on the road. It is a regulated privilege. Your "rights" come in to play when you vote in someone who will enact change. Until then you AGREE to live under the rules of these regulated privileges every time you pay for new tags, renew your license, pay for inspection, etc.

Period.
yup

Quick Reply: Helmet Law