Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

frem belt to chain

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 03:50 AM
tiger_rider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: frem belt to chain

Chains arent that difficult to maintain. Check the tension once a week, a chain will require a small amount of adjustment as it beds in and then it shouldn't need much until it starts to wear out. Typically a chain will last around 12,000 miles and you should be replacing the sprockets at around 24,000 miles.

Oiling the chain is probably the biggest time thing, it should be oiled about every 100 miles or so, but will only take a couple of minutes. There are aerosol cans of chain lube that work really well, do not use something like WD40

One of the issues that you are going to have to deal with is the oil and road crap that will now accumulate on the back of your bike. As the chain goes around the rear sprocket it will throw a mixture of oil and debris back and up onto the rear wheel and also up under the fender.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:47 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Though it took me awhile to accept it.... belts are the best thing since sliced bread...

I'd never go back....

Charlie D.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:58 AM
FandA M
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chain drive all the way.I don't know who said they are hard to maintain but it's just a matter of turning a couple of wrenches to adjust and replacing a chain is much easier than replacing a belt especially on the side of the road.With a chain breaker it can be done in minutes.A chain won't break as easily as a belt .I also think they look much better and I believe thet transfer power better

[IMG]local://upfiles/36280/BC7598A6C631454988985AF5EBDA9B8F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-16-2008, 09:02 AM
bastardmaker
Road Warrior

Cheap is exactly what Im going for. Im not into shiny chromed out bikes. I like DIY garage built ratt bikes.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:09 AM
FandA M
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: taggiascoz

Because it will look better with a chain than with a belt
you saying the chain looks better than the belt on that frame or in general? Cuz to me chain looks pretty greasy and kinda cheap, like dirt bikes, what you say?
You've got an Indian Larry avatar and you're saying a chain looks kind of cheap and greasy.I have never seen anythingBUT a chain drive on the bikes he's built

Old 01-16-2008, 07:52 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought a chain conversion from Zippers they haveoffset sprockets that allow you to use a 150 tire on the stock rim and get the clearance you need and modern chains are self lubing, somehow they impregnate the rollers with lube and you just put it on and run it.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:18 PM
bastardmaker
Road Warrior

this will be the first of many questions I'll be bringing to you over time. Ill be stripping the while bike down this week and into next, and my weld on should be here by then. Ill up date date you with pics as I go. Ive want to get her back up and running by SXSW

Old 01-17-2008, 05:35 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: jag1886

modern chains are self lubing, somehow they impregnate the rollers with lube and you just put it on and run it.
We made our own self lubing chains back in the day....

Throw a baking pan on the stove.... put the bearing grease in it.... heat until liquidfied.... drop chain in.... let cool.... wipe off excess...[8D]

Charlie D

Old 01-17-2008, 01:21 PM
taggiascoz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've got an Indian Larry avatar and you're saying a chain looks kind of cheap and greasy.I have never seen anythingBUT a chain drive on the bikes he's built
i like his bikes but im not an expert, what are the pros and cons of the belt and chain? is the sporty the only HD with belt? Excuse my ignorance

Old 01-17-2008, 03:46 PM
FandA M
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: taggiascoz

i like his bikes but im not an expert, what are the pros and cons of the belt and chain? is the sporty the only HD with belt? Excuse my ignorance
No big deal ....I guess that comment just threw me off a little with that avatar.......He did build some great bikes.

All Harley's have belt drive now.The Sportser went from chain to belt in '91

Pros and cons:I guess that depends on who you ask.I've always preferred the chain drive for the reasons I've stated above.I also like the way they look .......that, and thats really all I know.I've never owned a bike witha belt drive and as of now I don't plan on it.....just my preference.It's just a matter of what you like,what you have ,or what you can afford.The important part is to ride[sm=smiley20.gif]

Quick Reply: frem belt to chain