Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting a sportster 1200N

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:10 PM
SteveInCA
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting a sportster 1200N

Hey guys,
I want to have my nightster painted. I'm looking to do a gold metal flake with black borders on the tank and fenders. I called around to some shops in my area(los angeles). They're asking around $2,000. This seems a bit high to me. For those of you who have had your sportsters painted, how much did it cost you? I know many of you have done it yourself and god knows i would if i could but a clean metal flake paint job isn't something i can do.

Also, do any of you have recommendations in regards to a good painter in the So Cal area? Thanks

Old 01-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Painting a sportster 1200N

When it comes to paint... ya get what ya pay for.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:48 PM
MJStephens
Tourer

Maybe it's just the difference in location but I don't see $2000 as being all that unreasonable if they are a reputable shop.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:58 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree. If they're good they're worth it.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:01 PM
SteveInCA
Cruiser

I hear what you guys are saying, but damn, 2 grand to paint a sportie tank and rear fender?!?!

Old 01-15-2008, 11:49 PM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SteveInCA

I hear what you guys are saying, but damn, 2 grand to paint a sportie tank and rear fender?!?!
Wow... Yeah... That's a very small amount of landscape for 2 fkn g's... Have they SEEN the bike?.... Do they know how small the area really is? If they haven't actually seen it yet, they may not understand.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:29 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member

From what I have seen (and I have been in the car business for a few years) when someone comes in and asks for custom paint they will throw out a number (usually quite large) to weed out the nickel and dimer's. some people will just say OK. Keep in mind though that unless they see your bike and the tin's you want painted they will just shoot you a number.
They don't know if there's dents or dings. There is also considerable prep work that must be done in the correct manner in order to have it done right.

Keep in mind they will have to strip the existing paint, make sure the surface is smooth, fill any dings and what have you, and generally smooth the surface before they can even think about spraying a basecoat. If you are looking at a custom color (house of Kolor for example) the materials are not cheap at all. You are looking to do a multicolor paint scheme. That's at least 2 pints of basecoat, as well as masking andwetsanding and so forth before the clear can go on. Then comes the clearcoat. The more clear you use the deeper the shine will be. I have 7 coats of clear on mine. You can practically swim in my paint (at least it feels that way) there is the cost of clear and also tying up the booth for a tank and fender for 3 stages of painting and clearing and also baking the finish. Then another hour or two of wetsanding and buffing the clear to give it a smooth as glass finish.
Now think about all of the manhours and materials involved? Does 2g's still seem high? If so you could always take it to Maaco or earl Schibe for ascuff and spray butyou know it will look like schite.

This is a pic of a tank that cost $1000 to paint. There was no fenders in the mix. Just a tank.

Basically what I'm saying, the guy isn't trying to F you in the A. He's just trying to make a living. In the end, ya get what ya pay for...

Old 01-16-2008, 12:35 AM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

True dat. 2K for a fat flake job is money well invested.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:39 AM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like your factory paint.... but that's just me... It's your bike... And it reallycomes down to what it is worth to you.... Nothing else matters

Old 01-16-2008, 12:50 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: HighDesertKid

"Now think about all of the manhours and materials involved? Does 2 hours still seem high?"

I assume that you meant: "Does 2 grand seem to high?"..... With that said... And taking into account that you did concur with the idea that the artist needs to see the bike first... And knowing that this particular man's canvas is certainly clean... My answer is.... YES... I do think that two thousand dollars is too much for this job.
Yes I did mean 2 grand... I will agree to disagree due to the fact that I don't know what a good paint job costs in your neck of the woods. I only know what it costs around here.A basic ghost flame job with an automotive color (not custom)by DuPont or Sikkens will run around $1200 around here for the everyday Joe Schmoe. I got mine done for a considerable discount due to being a freind of the painter.
I also base my opinion on seeing what needs to be done just to do a quickie repair on a fender bender car. It's not easy and/or cheap to get quality work done.
Hell a whole car repaint will run 4 grand and upfor a single 2 stage (BC/CC) color when done right.
Go to earl schibe or maaco for a schitty scuff and spray or pay the bucks for a real paint job. Ya get what ya pay for in the end.

Quick Reply: Painting a sportster 1200N