Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using non-stock brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 03:15 PM
MJStephens
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using non-stock brake pads?

I'm thinking of changing my pads out while I have my bike down for the winter. My pads are fine I'm sure I just want to put a little higher performance pad on there for less brake dust. My Dad has Lyndall pads and he LOVES them. They are only about $37 for each end so that really isn't too bad. What is everyone else running? Or what have you had and hated or loved?

Old 01-14-2008, 03:31 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Anyone using non-stock brake pads?

I've never bothered going with anything other than the stock brake pads.

They are good enough to 'lock up' either wheel, and it might be different if you do a lot of racing, but with my type of riding I've never had a problem with them fading....

The way I look at it, if they don't fade, have a long life, and are good enough to lock up the wheels how much more braking performance do you need?

(But I should add that when I went with the heavier 41mm front end I did go with a chromed 4-piston setup)..

Old 01-14-2008, 03:45 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

I went with the Lyndall Gold pads when the original HD's wore out. I didn't really have any problems with the performance of the stock pads but the Lyndalls do run much cleaner, no brake dust, and no squeaking or squealling during stops. Ordered online, they were also cheaper than the stock HD pads and should provide longer wear.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:54 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm currently running pads that are non-stock, but I couldn't begin to tell you what brand they are. They are a metalic pad. I also didn't have a problem with the stock pads, but I had a problem with the HD price when I needed new pads. It's now time for new pads again, and I have ordered Lyndall Z pads.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: cHarley

I went with the Lyndall Gold pads when the original HD's wore out. I didn't really have any problems with the performance of the stock pads but the Lyndalls do run much cleaner, no brake dust, and no squeaking or squealling during stops. Ordered online, they were also cheaper than the stock HD pads and should provide longer wear.
That's really good to know cHarley! I like the ideas of no brake dust and no squeals. I guess I know what pads I'll buy when the factory pads wear out.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:13 PM
GringoLoco
Cruiser

If you've got performance in mind, I'd ask Whittlebeast. I know he's into autocross, and he's always playing with suspension setups on his bikes. I think I remember him at one time mentioning something about brakes, but I could be wrong. If I remember correctly, upgrading the pads makes a pretty significant difference.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:27 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

lyndall...

Old 01-15-2008, 05:39 PM
risonite
Novice

I've been running EBC Double H pads since the stockers wore out. There is a 'night and day' difference in performance. It's one of the best bang for the buck modifications I've made to my bike.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:26 PM
aceospades
Road Warrior

i bought some after market pads for the front..they were 45 bucks and they were horrible i forget the name brand but they were supposed to good according to the indy i bought them from..made the worst grinding noise and seemed like they didnt work all that good..they were sintered or something like that..i will never buy after market again,since then the price on hd pads has dropped quite abit..when i bought the aftermarkets the dealer wanted like 60 bucks per set..now i think they are down to 40 bucks.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US