Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 and Newer Sporty Bar Vibration Cured

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 03:25 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 04 and Newer Sporty Bar Vibration Cured

Is this maybe the same vibration I hear/feel when I take my hand off the left grip at about 40+ mph?

Old 01-14-2008, 03:41 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have we got a new moderator?
ORIGINAL: chornbe

Appreciate that there's an issue with you and him, but take it to PM or email.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:20 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Thanks Gene, for the information...

Old 01-14-2008, 06:57 PM
GeneP
Novice

ORIGINAL: StargazerXT12

Is this maybe the same vibration I hear/feel when I take my hand off the left grip at about 40+ mph?
It really depends what gear your in at 40 MPH or whatRPM the motor is spinning. The vibration my wife actually complained about was in 5th gear at speeds above 65 MPH. More like a tuning fork high frequency or "Buzz" as I have heard it described. The buzz actually caused more pain to her arthrits hands and they often went to sleep when riding longer distance. Although with the bushings throughout the RPM range the vibration would be reduced or at least the harshness will be greatly reduced. I noticed on her sporty after I did the mod it was MUCH better throughout the whole rpm range. The difference was like night & day. She had an 03 Lowrider before this sporty & it felt much more like her lowrider. So Smooth. Many asked why trade a lowrider for the sporty? She did like the lowrider, but she had trouble pushing the weight around, & she says her sporty is much more responsive & more fun in the twisties. She rides with much more or higher confidence level with her sporty.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:04 PM
GeneP
Novice

ORIGINAL: Photo

PDF opened fine for me. I also notice my right hand going numb at times. This could well be the cure Im loking for. I wonder if it would be possible to include small rubber washers in the mirror mountings and if that would reduce vibration in them.
Even on my RK my right hand would go to sleep sometimes on really long rides. I figure much of that could be caused by the constant gripping the throttle to hold it in position. I found kuryakyn ISO grips to help the most in addition to the throttle boss added to the grip. Just rest your palm on the boss to hold constant throttle position. Although getting rid of that buzz vibration by adding bushing will surly help alot.

Don't know if there is anyway to remount the mirrors on rubber to reduce their shake. But I bet the bushings are gonna help. "What is behind you is not important anyhow" (Just kidding).

Old 01-14-2008, 08:34 PM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: x2lee

Have we got a new moderator?
ORIGINAL: chornbe

Appreciate that there's an issue with you and him, but take it to PM or email.
Nope, just a guy who doesn't want to see a good thread tossed to **** with off-topic crap.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:00 AM
GeneP
Novice

Any folks who are thinking about doing the triple tree swap, since my last additions to the PDF I have done some research to find an actual washer or shim available that would be usedon the stem under the new triple tree.I just fabricated mine by filing the I.D. of a big washer to 1" (The O.D. on mine was 1-3/4" but 1-1/2" will work fine. What I found was a "Stainless Steel Shim" from MSC #05408653, I.D. 1.005", O.D. 1.50", & Thickness 0.125".

The shim above is a little pricey at I think about $10, I also found they have SS metric washers for about $1 ea.. For a M24 screw they are 25mm I.D. (a little close & might need just a little filing to fit over the 1" stem), and with a 44mm O.D. & 4mm thick. Washer part # 68025444

All depends on how much actual work you wanna do & how much your willing to spend.

MSC

Gene

Old 07-07-2008, 09:55 PM
norgepa
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gene thanks for the information.&nbsp\\; My 07 XLC 1200 has "developed" a bad vibration. Stage 1 complete with SE Air and V&amp\\;H staggerd Slip-ons.&nbsp\\; I had my 10K service with a replacement of rear and front dunlops.&nbsp\\; Bike road the same as before - GREAT ....UNTIL 642miles later it "developed" this bad vibration throughout all gears and really bad at 60+. Problem is I am heading on a LONG ride total 1,100mi one way.&nbsp\\; Just took it in to dealer to see if wheels need balancing. Small adjustment in balance on front. No change in Vibration on home ride. They checked motor mounts etc.....all ok.
&nbsp\\;
Question?&nbsp\\; Why Now ?&nbsp\\; I hadn't really had a problem.&nbsp\\; Any other advice not previously posted is welcome.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\; -Mark-
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-07-2008, 10:34 PM
ronn39
Road Master

Great post, GeneP... the kind I like to read.&nbsp\\; I don't seem to have the kind of problem on my '04 1200 that you experienced\\; in fact it's admirably smooth and no mirror fuzz.&nbsp\\; But lordy does my '02 RK bars vibrate!&nbsp\\; Even with the isogrips, it's a bit much.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:22 AM
GeneP
Novice

Thanks Ron,
Its more like tampening the harshness than eliminate vibration. The mod really don't to nothing to eliminate the actual vibration, but just dampens what is transmitted to the bars. Best way to tell the difference if you have the opportunity is ride a dyna with the bushings then get on a non-bushing sporty. By 20 MPH you'll notice the difference even if you originally had no issues with what you have.
&nbsp\\;
Gene

Quick Reply: 04 and Newer Sporty Bar Vibration Cured