Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A couple questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 11:30 PM
Dresden
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple questions.

I know this is a HD forum and I'm not trying to start a flame war. The 883 low has my eye..... here is the dilema.
I want to sell my car and just ride a bike all year around. Maybe buy a beater truck. I've narrowed my choices down to the sporty and a honda spirt aero 750.

Now, say what you will, but I know the Honda will be reliable, low matinence etc. But the bike is boring.
Can I, or has anyone else, reliably put on 15k miles a year on the sportster? Would there be any over heating issues, being that the bike will be ridden in orlando FL and its air cooled and the traffic here is a nightmare? The Honda is liquid cooled. Am I crazy to want to put that many miles on a bike a year?

I just want the damn sportster, but I dont want to have the sour taste in my mouth if it were a bust or a lemon or something. Most HD guys I know have the bikes forever, even if they are always wrenching, and to be honest, to me, asian bikes just kinda seem disposable.
What would you guys do?

Regards,
Dresden

Old 01-10-2006, 11:45 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: A couple questions.

I bought my 883C in June of 05, it had 5,100 miles on it. Yesterday when I got of it I looked and it has 12,987, in just a day or so past 7 months.. Not one wrench has been put to it for a problem, just Maintenance. My dealer made this statement, "If it has to idle in traffic for 20 or so minutes cut it off". I have been in traffic this past June, temp. was around 90* for 10-15 minutes and no problem. The dealer issued that warning, so I would hate to push my luck. Most Harley guys are always wrenching huh? They have them forever too huh? WTF does that tell you? The wrenching must be either some more chrome, some kinda upgrade or the problems are not big enough for them to get rid of the bike. Myonly concern is the traffic and heat issue, I cannot however venture a firm statement to that since I do not ride in that environment, but I think I qualify on the mileage deal.
ORIGINAL: Dresden

Can I, or has anyone else, reliably put on 15k miles a year on the sportster? Would there be any over heating issues, being that the bike will be ridden in orlando FL and its air cooled and the traffic here is a nightmare? The Honda is liquid cooled. Am I crazy to want to put that many miles on a bike a year?

I just want the damn sportster, but I dont want to have the sour taste in my mouth if it were a bust or a lemon or something. Most HD guys I know have the bikes forever, even if they are always wrenching, and to be honest, to me, asian bikes just kinda seem disposable.
What would you guys do?

Regards,
Dresden

Old 01-10-2006, 11:54 PM
Dresden
Road Captain

Thanks for the reply. I didn't mean the wrenching thing as a slam, I just grew up around a lot of ol' harley guys that still have the bikes they bought in the 70s. Of course there will be things that need replaced.

Old 01-11-2006, 12:01 AM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey you got 2 post who you callin' old? j/k I didn't take it as a slam, just thought it was obvious that if they was wrenchin but had 'em forever, that in itself should answer your questions? Don't ya think?
ORIGINAL: Dresden

Thanks for the reply. I didn't mean the wrenching thing as a slam, I just grew up around a lot of ol' harley guys that still have the bikes they bought in the 70s. Of course there will be things that need replaced.

Old 01-11-2006, 12:53 AM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yesterday when I got of it
it has 12,987, in just a day or so past 7 months
always gota rub it in - dont cha?

Old 01-11-2006, 02:47 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

if ya keep the sporty serviced, and take care of it it will last as long as anything else. get the 883, you wont be disapointed.

Old 01-11-2006, 09:51 AM
Slumpys1200c
Advanced

HD has really cleaned up their act in the past decade. I don't know of anybody who has had a problem child. I'm sure that everybody will attest to this fact. Every so often you will get a bike that WILL have a few problems. But you could also get that problem child from a Honda. My advice is ask everybody here, as you have, to post any problems with their scoot. Good luck with your choice!

!!! RIDE SAFE !!!

Keith in "bearable riding weather" Pa.
05 1200 custom "Lava"

P.S. I have not had any problems with my scoot!

Old 01-11-2006, 10:00 AM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every so often you will get a bike that WILL have a few problems. But you could also get that problem child from a Honda.
In my opinion and experiance, Harley Co. stands tall and proud of thier machines, they did good by me and I recomend them to anyone. - I loke my bike

Old 01-11-2006, 10:47 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Dresden,

I've owned English and Japanese bikes over my 43 years of riding and my flat out impression of my XL1200R is that it is built like a brick outhouse in comparison to any other bike I've owned. I don't yet have the miles you're talking about, and I don't have the heat/traffic conditions you talk about, but based on my experience so far I'd choose the Sportster over anything out there. No plastic like the Honda, firm as can be, and customizable as far as your imagination will take you. Also, HD bikes don't seem to be built with planned obsolence like the Japanese bikes. Getting OEM parts for just a few years old Asian bike can be near impossible. They're too much like car models - changing something significant every year or two just to keep the buyer's interest up. HD makes reliable motorcycles these days - not fashion statements. Just look at the number of Japanese bikes that are trying so hard to look like a Harley-Davidson - that in itself ought to tell the buyer something. Yeah, Harley's are an air-cooled V-Twin, but they just keep making it better. My plans include a lot of miles over the next two years and I have total faith in my XL.

When you say that you feel, "asian bikes just kinda seem disposable" it is an honest statement IMHO. I just "disposed" of a 1980 Honda CB750C to someone who was interested in restoring it. It was dependable but never gave me the solid feel and confidence that my Sporty does - not to mention the far better mileage I now get as well.

Whatever you choose, good luck. All I can say is I recommend the Sportster in whatever form hits your hot button. You won't regret it!

Thumper26

Old 01-11-2006, 11:55 AM
MuddyXL
Cruiser

Here's what the Sportster has over the Honda IMO.

Belt drive for low maintenance. A chain and sprockets would need replaced about every year and need cleaned and lubed weekly at a minimum with the miles you're talking.

Air Cooling for low mintenance. (You can add an oil cooler and run synthetic for more insurance)

Hydraulic valve lifters. Again, low maintenance.

Very strong aftermarket and the lowest prices for parts of any bike I know. Allows you to maintain it's good looks or change it's personality cheaply. Ebay is full of stock parts for a fraction of their cost at a dealer. No matter what acessory you want you'll have a much wider selection for the Sportster. All this means you shouldn't ever get bored with your Sportster.

The 883 Sportster has about the lowest insurance rate of any road bike I've checked.

Superior resale.

Harley dealers don't sell four brands of bikes along with Jet-Skis, generators, ATVs and roto-tillers. Meaning they know your bike and stock the stuff for it.

Honda's can't say they have a Jiffy Stand! Just kidding. ;-) Advantage Honda.

Chicks dig Harleys.

And most important, you WANT the Harley. If you get the Honda you'll still want the Harley.

Quick Reply: A couple questions.