Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Avon Venom X?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thoughts on Avon Venom X?

I havent had to change tyres on my Sporty thus far. However, on bikes I had back in the 1970's an 80's I always used Avon tyres and swore by them. I know that was some years back and things change, but they would certainly be high on my shopping list so long as I wasnt reading unfavourable reports.

Let us know how you find the difference after the change.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:28 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey gang,

I ran over to the shop yesterday and helped the indy get my new tire on the rim (took us an hour to get the stock wheel wgt. off, ended up takinga cut-off wheel to since it was very tight and corroded onto the spoke nipple) We used stick on wgts to bal. the new one whichran very true. Anyway, got home and reinstalled the wheel. and first thing I noticed was how much more the 90/90 21 filled up the front fender vs. the stock 90/90 21 dunlop.
Since the weather was unseasonbly warm here (50 at 5 pm vs. a normal 30 something for this time of yr.) I hit the roads which had dried after the rain and right from the start this tire was sticky, slow turnswere very smooth (rounder cross profile than stock) and it rolls into corners very well with firm grip even when leaned over (corners like on rails). One of the more noticeable differences especially since I have firm handling progressivefork springs is that this tire soaks up the bumps very well. Its also has a nice looking profile/tread and looks beefy on the front. Honestly we thought about putting a 100/90 on but I don't think it would fit between the fender bolts sliding it in and would've beenalmost wider than the fender. I'll try to post some pics later of it compared to the stock tire.

Other than cost, can't wait to get the rear one on when I finish wearing out the stock tire.

By the way, stock HD rims are crap and I'll replace them later on. My bike is an 06 and the inside of the rim had lots of rustand a couple spots flaking of though the outside is flawless. I suppose that water gets in around the spoke nipples and regular condensation also builds up.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:03 AM
MJK
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the Avons come stock on the Victory. I'll have to check the lcl Vic dealer to see what his prices are.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:42 AM
speedman
Intermediate

I switched from Metzelers to Avons a couple of years ago after a sidewall blowout that Metzeler refused to warranty. In the end it turned out for the best because the Avons are stickier and ride better for me.

Riding style and conditions obviously have a huge impact on perceived tire performance and based on the roads in my area and the type of riding I do I have found the stock Dunlops have the worst traction, but longest life span, the Metzelers are somewhat stickier, but have a little shorter life span and the Avon Venom X's are by far the stickiest (they perform exceptionally well in the rain relative to the other brands in my experience), but they have the shortest life span.

Myself I am willing to sacrifice the life span of a tire for better traction, but I ride most of my miles on a 114" Road King, which needs all the help it can get putting the power to the ground without blowing the tire off.

SM

Old 01-12-2008, 12:24 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior

Pics ofnew tire compared to oldas promised....

Old stock 90/90 21 dunlop from last year...

New 90/90 21 Avon Venom X...

Avon top view...

Stock tire side angle view... (sorry bad pic)

Avon side view...

Update...

Put on over 100 miles on the new tire since yesterday and it just feels better all the time. It grips great and soaks up road bumps really well. With the new tire profileand my progressive front springs inspiring confidence I now find myself slamming it into the corners something I never did with the stock front tire even when it had tread on it. After riding a couple hrs. today I now have wear marks on the front tire 1/8" from the chicken strip (thats borderline touchdown territory with 11.5" shocks out back. Grippy tires are addictive so I'll have to limit myself on aggreesive riding or I'll be buying new tires each season.
I might not get over 15k out of this tire but its fun while it lasts.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:05 PM
outdoorgirl57
Road Master

Anyone else feel that the Avons are higher than the stock tires?

Old 01-13-2008, 09:19 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: outdoorgirl57

Anyone else feel that the Avons are higher than the stock tires?
I forgot to add in my observations that in the shop when we were swapping tires standing them side by side the Avon was about 1/2" taller than the stock dunlop, when inflated compared to the bald dunlop it was probably a little more than a 1/2". The rounder profile seems to give the hgt. difference as the sidewalls were about the same.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:51 PM
SHOAT
Road Master

I just looked up the Venom on the Avon website. The fitment guide recommended the MH90 21 for my 2005 XL1200C.The 90/90 21 is 0.40in wider and 0.50in larger in diameter than the MH90 21 according to the specification sheet.Keep us posted on how they work for you. I would really like to put one on my bike.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll stick with Dunlops..