Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

saddlebags

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 01:40 PM
30jim
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default saddlebags

Just wanted to get a few opinions on the different saddlebags out there. Any to avoid, or definitely have to look at. I have an 05 1200c

Old 01-09-2006, 01:58 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: saddlebags

You may get some ideas here... https://www.hdforums.com/m_206940/tm.htm

Old 01-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

30jim,

I agonized a long time over a set of bags and wound up getting a set from Willie and Max. I mounted them with Easy Brackets which makes for an easy on/off situation. I'm very happy with them but it all comes down to what you like. There are a lot of bags out there so good luck! Research is half the fun!

Thumper26

Old 01-09-2006, 11:02 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Bags on a Sporty, say it aint so, Sacriligous(sp) MamaMeah, bags on a Sporty Please lOrd Jesus show them th error of their evil ways, fogive them their sins for they know not what they do.
Pleeeessse Lawd Jasus, enter thu lives o deez siinas and lays upon deah harts to raform be fo ya. Jasus nam we pray. Amen

Old 01-10-2006, 01:03 AM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got Willie & Max 'American Classic' bags on mine. They don't leak even in a downpour and still look good after several years.

Old 01-10-2006, 01:27 AM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bags on a Sporty, say it aint so, Sacriligous(sp) MamaMeah, bags on a Sporty Please lOrd Jesus show them th error of their evil ways, fogive them their sins for they know not what they do.
Pleeeessse Lawd Jasus, enter thu lives o deez siinas and lays upon deah harts to raform be fo ya. Jasus nam we pray. Amen
keep stirin - you may need an oar soon (or an industrial dough mixer) - seriously, I was considering soft side bags for the times I "Have to make an apearance" in LI (inlaws) - wearing multiple layers in summer is no way to travel with a change of clothes.

Not to hijac anyones thread, but last year, I found like a ton of bags on e-bay but am clueless if any of those "package deals" are any good. - was always one to life by you get what yoou pay for

Old 01-10-2006, 02:29 AM
1200c
Road Warrior

30jim,

I have personally always liked the style of harley-davidson saddlebags. I think they are very good looking compared to most other saddlebags (exceptions exist of course). They are very pricey though, which sucks. Although to be fair, they are usually made of 10oz leather and have a hard backing to help retain their shape. Saddlebags of that quality usually start at $300 and move up to ranges of $500 and $600. Willie and Max are bags I have heard good things about as well.

As for bags on a sportster; I don't think sportsters look good with saddlebags. Some saddlebags are acceptable on sportsters, but never anything outstanding. Having said that I am looking for a pair myself. I see them as a neccessary evil as i want to commute on the bike. I need a place to store all my junk and I don't want a t-bag. I need a place for tools and to keep layers of clothing and to place books and other stuff.

Old 01-10-2006, 02:40 AM
AZFlyingDiver
Tourer

ORIGINAL: 1200c

30jim,

I have personally always liked the style of harley-davidson saddlebags. I think they are very good looking compared to most other saddlebags (exceptions exist of course). They are very pricey though, which sucks. Although to be fair, they are usually made of 10oz leather and have a hard backing to help retain their shape. Saddlebags of that quality usually start at $300 and move up to ranges of $500 and $600. Willie and Max are bags I have heard good things about as well.
I also like the H-D bags, and have the Premium Harness Leather bags. Pricey indeed: MSRP is $599, but I got a great deal from another rider who decided to go stripped and solo otherwise I'd have had to wait a loooong time for those. I saved even more by installing them myself - the stealer quoted 3 hours labor (I had all the parts/hardware) and at $75/hr, $225 just to install them was a bit much. It was a PITA, but I got it done in a little over 2 hours (had to take off shocks and plates, and rewire the turn signals - not too complicated, just tedious). I LOVE the result.

And I also agree about Willie & Max - good value and good products.

Good luck!

Old 01-10-2006, 02:51 AM
1200c
Road Warrior

had to take off shocks and plates, and rewire the turn signals - not too complicated, just tedious
I hate to break it to you, but I don't think relocating the turn signals was neccessary for those bags and that bike. I'm not 100% sure on that one though. I am pretty sure I have seen them put on without the turn signals being relocated.

Are those the saddlebags you have?

http://xlforum.net/photopost/showpho...puser=300&sl=t

Old 01-10-2006, 02:57 AM
AZFlyingDiver
Tourer

ORIGINAL: 1200c

had to take off shocks and plates, and rewire the turn signals - not too complicated, just tedious
I hate to break it to you, but I don't think relocating the turn signals was neccessary for those bags and that bike. I'm not 100% sure on that one though. I am pretty sure I have seen them put on without the turn signals being relocated.

Are those the saddlebags you have?

http://xlforum.net/photopost/showpho...puser=300&sl=t
Yep, exact same bags - actually the relocate is to move the signals back one bolt over (hardware included with bags). Rewire entailed lengthening the wires to the connection in the tail light (I know, seems odd since the signals are closer, but the wires snake through the new mount forward, and then back towards the rear)... I like the effect because the signals are close to where they were before instead of having to be relocated all the way back on the fender by the license plate.

Quick Reply: saddlebags