Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What drag bar length and risers can use stock Nightster cables?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 07:50 AM
GringoLoco
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What drag bar length and risers can use stock Nightster cables?

Okay, I finally decided to do drag bars on my Nightster, but I can't visualize what size risers would work. I'm keeping the mid controls, I'm only 5'7", and I like to lean into the wind a bit, so I want my grips to be lower and more forward than stock. I asked for pics last year and only got one picture reply, but then never found out what size risers they were. Here's the link to the thread... https://www.hdforums.com/m_1969580/tm.htm. Anybody know what size risers those are? How about bar length, and whether or not I'd get to reuse all the original cables and stuff? I only want to have to buy risers and bars.

Thanks.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:34 AM
GringoLoco
Cruiser
Default RE: What drag bar length and risers can use stock Nightster cables?

Ok, so further searching on another forum indicates that 4.5" straight risers will let drag bars clear the tank and still be able to keep the factory cables and wiring. Anybody disagree?

Now the question is bar length. I'm a little stumped here, I just went out to the garage with a tape measure and 27 seems way too short, 32 seems kinda long, and 30 seems about right. What is the normal range that people are usually happy with?

Old 01-07-2008, 10:39 AM
kylant
Road Captain

i used 6" risers and drag bars from a nighttrain. i then used a speedo mounting bracket from an '03 custom as well as the top clamp. get a dummy light indicator and speedometer wiring harness from an '08 custom and you will be set.

this set-up allows the speedo to be positioned above the tank instead of out past the bars. it clears just fine and looks way better.

sorry i dont have pics yet

Old 01-07-2008, 02:10 PM
SeanS
Tourer

I kept stock risers and cables on mine and put on a 32" Buffalo 1 1/4" bar. The brake line is kind of twisted to an S shape but everything else is internally wired. I had no clearance issues as far as hitting the tank, however I did relocate my turn signals to the fork

Old 01-07-2008, 02:55 PM
joakim
Advanced

I kept the turn signals in their original places and used the stock wiring except for the brake line which was way too long! The clutch cable could have been a bit shorter too but it's liveable. I wired the bars internally and they are on the stock risers (or lack thereof). They're 31" wide with 5.75" pullback but I slapped on a pair of bar end mirrors too so they look a bit wider.

[IMG]local://upfiles/41462/F91F15538367439880BF4E69AF4161EF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-08-2008, 01:28 AM
GringoLoco
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: joakim

I kept the turn signals in their original places and used the stock wiring except for the brake line which was way too long! The clutch cable could have been a bit shorter too but it's liveable. I wired the bars internally and they are on the stock risers (or lack thereof). They're 31" wide with 5.75" pullback but I slapped on a pair of bar end mirrors too so they look a bit wider.

[IMG]local://upfiles/41462/F91F15538367439880BF4E69AF4161EF.jpg[/IMG]
Do you have any clearance issues with your turn signals or anyhing? I thought I'd need at least a 4.5" riser. I also wanted to avoid having to put any new brake lines or cables on, but if I don't have to buy risers I guess I wouldn't mind buying a new brake line.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:10 AM
SeanS
Tourer

I wanna know if he had any clearance issues as well because that was the reason I relocated my Turn signals. However, after relocating them, I do think they look much better. If you dont want to change your cables you shouldnt have to. It is kind of tricky getting them on they and make sure you dont pinch any wires. If you DO decide to change cables, there is a company out now making black steel braided lines instead of silver

Old 01-08-2008, 10:12 AM
joakim
Advanced

ORIGINAL: GringoLoco
Do you have any clearance issues with your turn signals or anyhing? I thought I'd need at least a 4.5" riser. I also wanted to avoid having to put any new brake lines or cables on, but if I don't have to buy risers I guess I wouldn't mind buying a new brake line.
No sir, there aren't any clearance issues with my setup. In fact, it's not even close. If you have the time and/or money to wire the bars internally I highly recommend that too. Looks a whole lot better!

Old 01-08-2008, 10:24 AM
GringoLoco
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: joakim

No sir, there aren't any clearance issues with my setup. In fact, it's not even close. If you have the time and/or money to wire the bars internally I highly recommend that too. Looks a whole lot better!
What is involved in doing that? Do you have to get longer wires, special bars, or just drill holes in regular bars? I just got into a bidding war for some drag bars on ebay. I have no idea what length they are, just that from tip to tip in a straight line they are ~26". I'm assuming drag bars are measured as if you were to lay the tape measure along the bar, and follow the curves (length of bar before bending). I did a rough pythagorean theorem by eyeballing it and guessed they were around 30" long. If I need special bars, no biggie, I didn't bid that much anyway.

So if I'm reading this right, with some typical drag bars with a little pull back I can use the stock 1200N risers? That would be sweet, I wanted a low bar height anyways. Half of the reason I'm going to drag bars is to lean forward more into the wind, and have a more aggressive riding position. I'm also keeping the mid controls.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:36 AM
joakim
Advanced

What is involved in doing that? Do you have to get longer wires, special bars, or just drill holes in regular bars? I just got into a bidding war for some drag bars on ebay. I have no idea what length they are, just that from tip to tip in a straight line they are ~26". I'm assuming drag bars are measured as if you were to lay the tape measure along the bar, and follow the curves (length of bar before bending). I did a rough pythagorean theorem by eyeballing it and guessed they were around 30" long. If I need special bars, no biggie, I didn't bid that much anyway.

So if I'm reading this right, with some typical drag bars with a little pull back I can use the stock 1200N risers? That would be sweet, I wanted a low bar height anyways. Half of the reason I'm going to drag bars is to lean forward more into the wind, and have a more aggressive riding position. I'm also keeping the mid controls.
My internal wiring worked out fine with the stock wires. That said, I didn't do it myself because a) I hate wires and electrical components b) I'm lazy c) I had the money to have someone else do it at the time You need either pre-drilled bars or someone who can drill for you. The width of the bars is measured across from bar end to bar end, not including the shape and pullback of the bars so 26" might be fine for you (though you are going to have some serious issues keeping the turn signals in their original places with such narrow bars) but that is way too narrow for my taste. And yes, the stock risers are fine if you want a low slammed look and aggressive riding stance (which I did), if you want higher sitting bars or want to increase pullback, getting higher risers would work too.

Quick Reply: What drag bar length and risers can use stock Nightster cables?