Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOCAL Riders read this!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 12:48 PM
socalmoe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOCAL Riders read this!!!!

Isee this guys on their ST1300 scoping out riders, speciall on week-ends.
WATCH OUT!
Guess where me and my boys wont be going any more.
We will spend not a penny in that area.

Anaheim police have gotten serious about loud bikes.

California - The thundering roar of motorcycles racing up and down Imperial Highway could be reduced to a whisper, thanks to a crackdown by Anaheim police and a little-known federal law.

Motorcyclists with illegally loud exhaust systems began receiving citations on Imperial Highway in Anaheim Hills after weeks of warnings.

Anaheim Police Sgt. Mike Zigmund gave a final notice to about 60 bikers at Keno's restaurant the weekend of July 14.

"We told them that this was the last warning," he said. "They were pretty cooperative."

Armed with a decibel meter, resident Ellie Oliver measured the sound of passing bikers. "The noise was deafening," she said. "I recorded readings of 115 to 135 decibels," – 34 to 54 points above the city's 81-decibel exterior noise limit.

This month, Zigmund and his crew took their own readings and began citing bikers.

"The meter really isn't necessary," he said. "The courts have said that most cops can tell which pipes are legal and which aren't."

Anaheim resident Todd Hamo, a representative of Noise Free America's Orange County chapter, said decibel meter readings "have been called into question in court."

"But," he said," there is an Environmental Protection Agency system that removes all ambiguity when enforcing (illegal exhaust pipe) noise."

Known as the label-matching system, the federal regulation requires manufacturers to place two labels on every motorcycle they make – after it has passed a noise emissions test, at the factory. One label is on the chassis, the other on the muffler. Each contains a code that is unique to the make and model of the bike. By comparing them, officers can determine at a glance whether the vehicle has the appropriate exhaust system.

If it doesn't, or if there is no label, the motorcycle is in violation of Section 4909a(2) of the Noise Control Act of 1972.

Zigmund had been unaware of the EPA regulation, but looked it up on
www.noisefree.org.

"This might explain why some of the bikers have said that dealerships will not put after-market pipes on their bikes anymore," the police officer said. "They have in the past. Just because the dealer installed them, doesn't mean they are legal, though."

Tustin resident Gordon Pearson has a noise problem in his neighborhood, too.

"Our whole society would be so much better," he said, "if we would just enforce the laws we have."

Source: The Orange County Register

Taken from bainbucket.com

Old 01-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SOCAL Riders read this!!!!

California is gonna save the world...

Old 01-05-2008, 02:02 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

What if the cop uses his siren when he pulls you over? can you give him a ticket?
I'm sure my neighbours dog barks louder than 81DB, can I kill it?, the local news chopper is pretty loud too,maybe we should shoot it out of the sky and some of the boats at the lake are pretty noisy, better sink those too.
Sad!

Old 01-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Rodent
Road Master

Damn. This has been posted six times in the same day within minutes of each other.
SOCALMOE, we realize this has you upset, as well as other riders, but one post would have been enough.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:02 PM
agedwards63
Road Master

I think it's time to take california out... IL enacted its damn no smoking laws this week... thanks california

Old 01-06-2008, 12:02 AM
Batley
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

California has enough problems to be worried about this.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:40 AM
cultfreak
Intermediate

wow. thats insane. hope that never comes to florida.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:00 AM
gambler109
Cruiser

The guy in the article from Noise Free America needs to read the law. It only requires the exhaust to match on new equipment leaving the factory. It also cannot be enforced by state or local law enforcement. However states and locals can enact their own noise limits.

Remember that our local elected officials are VERY receptive to hearing from residents in their town. Let them know your thoughts in a reasonable manner and you may be surprised.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:02 PM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually they have the upper hand if they get enough areas on board.Lets say I live in town A without a noise restriction.I work in town C without a noise restriction.Wouldn't you know it though I need to go through town B to get to and from work and they have a noise restriction,What then since my voice will not be heard where I am not a resident?I wish I had the resources to snag all the stock exhaust I could find.I would be a rich man in a few years from now.People won't stop riding so they will have to pay whatever the cost may be to repair the bike back to stock exhaust.By the way I am running V&H with my baffles removed just so you don't think I am one of the supporters.There is a town close to me trying to pass a 40db noise law.You wouldn't even be able to fart there.Lawmakers could also make a law that only pertains to motorcycle exhaust and excludes lawnmowers and chain saws for example.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Screwdriver
Intermediate

I live is SoCal and avoid these areas....they call all **** off.