Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportys & Battery Tender Installation.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Hidalgo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportys & Battery Tender Installation.....

I just installed 2 Bettery Tenders on our Sportys. Just a few notes (that may have already been listed) about this. Hope it helps someone who is contemplating doing it.......

First off...it ain't no big job. The side cover swings down out of the way, and the battery strap is easy to get off.

One thing that I had already been warned about, is that the negative battery cable has to run IN FRONT of the battery on re-installation. This is a difficult maneuver, because the battery won't come out but just enough to get to the post on the negative side.

Here's what I found out......

My 13-yr-old likes to "help" when I do anything around the house, so he was "helping" me with this. After I took out the battery, hooked up the Tender harness, and was attempting to put the battery back in it's box (with the cable in front of the battery) it must have become obvious that I was getting frustrated. My son was sitting on the other side of the bike looking over the frame as I was getting more & more aggravated. Suddenly, he said "Dad...does this cable that you're having trouble with run out from under the battery and out this side and hook onto the top of the engine?"

Hmmmmmmmmmm.........................

If you remove the negative cable from the top of the engine where it is strapped down, it creates a whole new outlook on life. You suddenly have enough cable to pull the battery on out, and then when re-installing the battery you can lay the cable in front of the battery, and pull it out the other side while you push the battery back in (don't pull it all the way through on removal, though)

A little creativeness is required afterwards in relation to where you are going to put the 3 feet of harness (you only need about 8 inches) but if you stuff it under the frame in the seat area, it tends to work pretty good.

I know this is simplistic work to you seasoned "wrenches" out there, but for some of us rookies it is an adventure into new territory. Hope this helps someone later on.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:50 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Sportys & Battery Tender Installation.....

Also, the 'negative' connection from the tender doesn't have to be installed to the negative terminal of the battery.

I always hook it to the battery, but it's not essential.

It can be 'ground' to the frame, just like the battery cable.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Hidalgo
Tourer

But with the extremely mild output of the Tenders, would you get an effective charge & maintenance capability without it hooked directly to the battery?

Not trying to be argumentative.......just trying to learn.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:59 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hidalgo

But with the extremely mild output of the Tenders, would you get an effective charge & maintenance capability without it hooked directly to the battery?

Not trying to be argumentative.......just trying to learn.
The 'charging output' is delivered through the positive connector of the battery tender, which must be hooked directly to the battery terminal.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Hidalgo
Tourer

Thanks OFG......

I learned TWO things today. [sm=lol.gif] [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 01-04-2008, 03:32 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

Next time you should leave those frustrating jobs to your 13 year-old. Sit back, pop a brew and supervise.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:06 PM
bigtop1
Road Master

I have to disagree with cHarley on this one (which is rare). There is no substitute for working on your own bike. Scrapped knuckles and chipped finger nails, along with a small cut or two make for increased feelings of pride and joy. There can be no other way. Ride safe.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:20 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

No need to disagree Bigtop1, I really wouldn't let anyone use my bike as a training ground either. If you want it done right, you do it yourself.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

13 is a good age. By 15 though, he will know everything.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:31 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My tender is hooked to the neg terminal wire from the battery were its grounded to the engine. Came that way from the dealer no problemsyet.

Quick Reply: Sportys & Battery Tender Installation.....