Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

kickstart, side stand and other questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 03:19 AM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default kickstart, side stand and other questions

Can an engine be modified to have a kick start system? My guess is no, alot of work would need to be done on the cases and inside the tranny. but, then again, I don't know so I'm asking you guys

How much weight can the sidestand support? i find myself leaning on the bike while its parked against the sidestand sometimes and i feel it tilt a little more and sometimes i get on the left peg and swing myself over the bike to get on before i start it and I worry I might bend something beyond repair or something.

Also, are there center stands made for sportsters? Maybe aftermarket bolt on kinda things?

What is the BEST way to spraypaint chrome? I usually scuff the surface with 220 grit sandpaper, primer, and then paint it normally, and even though the finish comes out well, its delicate and will break off if touched by anything harder than your fingernail, leaving the scuffed chrome showing.

Finally, how durable should leather gloves be? I bought a nice pair for $50 from my dealer just 2 months ago, the palms and undersides of the fingers are a really nice grippy leather and the topside is a nice material with leather knuckles. I use them all the time, but only normal use, I dont have any unusual rubbing, but on the palm right near the thumb the leather seemed to rub through and the hole is getting bigger, can I sew this up? or is there some kind of patch? the hole is about a half an inch, and is bothering me. I didnt think $50 gloves should start ripping this early.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:17 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: kickstart, side stand and other questions

I guess I dont know the answers to most of your questions, but might give you some insight...

I'll agree with you that you won't find a kick start for your bike at any price.... I come from the days when that was the only way to start a Harley other than pushing... except an ElectraGlide.... anyway... that little button you push, thank your lucky stars for it... you know those mornings that your bike takes more than a couple revolutions to start... well each one of those is a kick... There was a many a time I broke sweat trying to start one... a real b!tch sometimes...

Chrome is one of the hardest things to get paint to stick to... except maybe glass... The only thing I can think of is maybe a 2/3 part self-etching primer and still I wouldn't bet my life on it... I don't know anything out of a can that would truely work...

Your glove problem is where you'd expect there to be wear... When working the front brake most of pressure is at the base of the thumb... then there is the twisting of the throttle and the reaching with the thumb for turn signal button, starter etc...The two pair of gloves that I do own are reinforced in that area and haven't had any problems with them... that being said... I very seldom wear gloves.... but over the many years of riding I can't say I've ever wore a pair of gloves out... I either replaced them because of dry-rot or lost....

Last time I had a center stand I was 15 years old... so I won't be much help there either.... but knowing my bike and from what I can recall.... where you would think a center stand would be mounted all my rear braking lines and cylinder are mounted....

Wish you luck...

Charlie D.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:16 AM
FandA M
Road Captain

I'msuppose a kicker COULD be done somehow(anything can be done)but I really don't think it would be worth the money or effort.There would have to be a ton of fabricating and again probably not worth it.

I have to agree with a self etching primer.Duplicolor makes "Self Etching Primer" in a rattle can.Good stuff and that may work pretty good after it's been sanded.What are you painting?I painted a set of chrome pipes.I sanded them pretty good and used Ace hardware gloss black high heat paint(no primer)and they're holding up great.Could be because the high heat paint bakes on.They have chipped a little over time but thats because of their location.
What you could try is painting your parts in a high heat paint even if they don't need it and baking it on(I use my grill)With that type of paint a primer is not recommended.

Everything that's painted black on my bike is "rattle can" (Except the oil can and frame)

[IMG]local://upfiles/36280/FFECFE2F333A4BD289650E5F6DDCD928.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-02-2008, 10:22 AM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member

I use high-heat on the parts I did so far, I painted the center of my air cleaner

it held well, there isn't enough heat from it to cure the paint, but it doesnt see alot of wear so im good.

i was thinking of painting the heat shield of the cross tube of the exhuast black so it would be less visible from afar.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:38 AM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: dbleagle

I guess I dont know the answers to most of your questions, but might give you some insight...

I'll agree with you that you won't find a kick start for your bike at any price.... I come from the days when that was the only way to start a Harley other than pushing... except an ElectraGlide.... anyway... that little button you push, thank your lucky stars for it... you know those mornings that your bike takes more than a couple revolutioose is a kick... There was a many a time I broke sweat trying to start one... a real b!tch sometimes...

Chrome is one of the hardest things to get paint to stick to... except maybe glass... The only thing I can think of is maybe a 2/3 part self-etching primer and still I wouldn't bet my life on it... I don't know anything out of a can that would truely work...

Your glove problem is where you'd expect there to be wear... When working the front brake most of pressure is at the base of the thumb... then there is the twisting of the throttle and the reaching with the thumb for turn signal button, starter etc...The two pair of gloves that I do own are reinforced in that area and haven't had any problems with them... that being said... I very seldom wear gloves.... but over the many years of riding I can't say I've ever wore a pair of gloves out... I either replaced them because of dry-rot or lost....

Last time I had a center stand I was 15 years old... so I won't be much help there either.... but knowing my bike and from what I can recall.... where you would think a center stand would be mounted all my rear braking lines and cylinder are mounted....

Wish you luck...

Charlie D.

I had a kick-start bike before this, I liked it. Plus im young I can take it for awhile haha. I was thinking some kind of ratchet lever could be mounted where the starter connects but then you don't have a starter. I want to have electric start in the mornings and when its cold, and kick start to use during the day when the bike is warmed and starts easier.

My glove is wearing on the left hand, clutch hand. when i pull in the clutch more pressure is on the other side of my palm as well, not the thumb side, and I thought my gloves were rubbing on the button console to the side of the shifter, but thats not the case.

I thought leather was more resistant to simply tearing at little use, and this is a reinforced area of padding too. Oh well, I'll run them down and get a new pair If i have to.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:07 PM
FandA M
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: JosephGarcia

I use high-heat on the parts I did so far, I painted the center of my air cleaner

it held well, there isn't enough heat from it to cure the paint, but it doesnt see alot of wear so im good.

i was thinking of painting the heat shield of the cross tube of the exhuast black so it would be less visible from afar.

I've used the high heat on regular parts.I just curethem by bakeingthem on the grill[sm=smiley20.gif]Seriously!

Old 01-02-2008, 03:17 PM
Bryan53
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think if you took some sand paper to the chrome and some self etching primer then high heat and bake the parts in a grill you will be good.

Definitely paint the cross piece between the pipes that will look a lot better. I was trying to envision your bike with all black pipes but I am not to sure of that.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:37 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member

Just a thought on the gloves. I get a nice set of work gloves for ~$8-10 at the hardware store. They last good, give excellent protection and look good.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:09 PM
FandA M
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Bryan53

I would think if you took some sand paper to the chrome and some self etching primer then high heat and bake the parts in a grill you will be good.

Definitely paint the cross piece between the pipes that will look a lot better. I was trying to envision your bike with all black pipes but I am not to sure of that.
Black pipes(wrapped),black wheels, black and polished rocker boxesand 11" shocks and that bike would be BADA$$ !!(for under $200.00)

Old 01-02-2008, 04:35 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: DeJavu

Just a thought on the gloves. I get a nice set of work gloves for ~$8-10 at the hardware store. They last good, give excellent protection and look good.
Been there done that. Hate work gloves, every brand is terrible. plus most shredded quickly. I use them only if I have NO gloves at all.

Quick Reply: kickstart, side stand and other questions