Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OCC Pics 1_2006

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 08:47 PM
travisd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OCC Pics 1_2006

I agree with most of you. I too, get caught up in thinking that these guys would not be nearly as famous if they hadn't started "hamming it up" for the cameras, with their fighting and whatever. The other thing that seems to have become way too common on their show is the fact that most all of the parts of the bike are ordered in. The start with a frame from one source, decide on a motor/trans combo from another source, same with the wheels, assemble the bike, tack weld some artsy fartsy crap and send it out for paint. I also agree that they fill a niche and admit to watching a little when I find the time, but have to say that I was way more impressed and interested in Jesse James' early shows when he was pounding out his own fenders and tanks on a stool.

Old 01-10-2006, 10:47 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

JKDJose,

Thanks for the tip with TIVO! I guess I'll have to dive into how to do that, but then there's always the chance there may be a re-run I haven't seen that I can delete very quickly. Hmmmmmmm................

I watched the first "Fantasy Bike" show this morning and was sorely disappointed in the way they couldn't even give Greg his CHROME corporal stripes on his tank, gave him a stock 80" EVO engine, and had to "sneak" the fabricated footpegs past Paul, Sr.

Greg got a nice bike, no doubt about it, but they could have gone that extra mile for him. Discovery pays so why keep the "Fantasy Bikes" as much off the shelf as possible? Discovery and the Teutles are making a fortune on the show and a few grand more on that bike would have made all the difference. The only thing unique for Greg was the paint job (and maybe the footpegs) with an anemic engine. Good for Greg, boo to OCC and Discovery!

Thumper26

Old 01-11-2006, 10:11 AM
JKDJose
Advanced

I agree they cheaped out BIG TIME! Like they don't make enough money! Sr was being really cheap with Jeff's bike. I felt the bike they built the guy was very bare bones. They must be doing good, because the senior and best sales guy at our local Harley dealer just went to work for OCC.

You are correct too. Everything seems so scripted now. Everytime they guys run into any issues, Sr comes through the door to yell at them.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:52 AM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Thumper26

JKDJose,

Thanks for the tip with TIVO! I guess I'll have to dive into how to do that, but then there's always the chance there may be a re-run I haven't seen that I can delete very quickly. Hmmmmmmm................

I watched the first "Fantasy Bike" show this morning and was sorely disappointed in the way they couldn't even give Greg his CHROME corporal stripes on his tank, gave him a stock 80" EVO engine, and had to "sneak" the fabricated footpegs past Paul, Sr.

Greg got a nice bike, no doubt about it, but they could have gone that extra mile for him. Discovery pays so why keep the "Fantasy Bikes" as much off the shelf as possible? Discovery and the Teutles are making a fortune on the show and a few grand more on that bike would have made all the difference. The only thing unique for Greg was the paint job (and maybe the footpegs) with an anemic engine. Good for Greg, boo to OCC and Discovery!

Thumper26
Could it be it was for a one show segment?[X(]

Old 01-11-2006, 11:13 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: jerseyjeff62

ORIGINAL: Thumper26

JKDJose,

Thumper26
Could it be it was for a one show segment?[X(]

Maybe it was for a one-show segment. To me that's just further proof of doing the new "Fantasy Bike" episodes on the cheap...

Thumper26

Old 01-11-2006, 03:00 PM
DMSC
Road Master

I liked the fantasy bike a LOT better than the theme bikes they normally do...from a "everyday rider" perspective. That bike still cost a chunk of change, I'm sure.

As for OCC bikes being "assembled" instead of "custom built"...They aren't the only bike builders who use other vendors parts. In fact, OCC has been making a LOT more of the stuff they build their bikes out of.

They CNC their wheels, they have the flowjet machine (way cool!) to make what ever out of. Yeah, they buy motors and frames...though they do have the ability (tool wise at least) to build a frame (they showed them do it on an old episode). They couldn't build a frame and motor and then do all the other stuff under the insane deadlines they have for these theme bikes time after time.

I'm not defending OCC...their bikes speak for them...either ya like them or you don't. I do think, however, we should be fair in our criticism of them...

Old 01-11-2006, 03:58 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member

DMSC,

QUOTE: "I do think, however, we should be fair in our criticism of them..."

My criticism is really more pointed at The Discovery Channel since they foot all of the bills. It is THEIR budget that dictates the money spent on the Fantasy bikes and given what they're making on the show, I thing they are stingy. Unfortunately, Paul, Sr. is the "front" man for the show and it falls on him to do the dirty work. I don't think anyone who has seen a lot of their shows could call the Teutles anything less than really good, humble, appreciative, and giving people. (OK, maybe a little dysfunctional - LOL!)

I also agree that the Fantasy Bike episode was much better than their run-of-the-mill-hurry-up-and-knock-it-out typical show. I just think they could have been more creative than building a bike with 99.9% of the parts off the shelf with a stock EVO engine and a nice paint job (the only thing IMO that stands it apart from the majority of their bikes, sans the theme bikes). I can't help it - I was disappointed.

Agreed, a man now has a unique bike, and likely one that he could never have afforded. I think he was a worthy recipient of the first Fantasy Bike and that's a wonderful and good thing - I am thrilled for him. I'm just upset that they couldn't even give him his longed-for chromed corporal stripes on the tank, nor take another day to give him something just a little more creative and unique (and powerful).

Thumper26

Old 01-11-2006, 04:54 PM
DMSC
Road Master

I'm just upset that they couldn't even give him his longed-for chromed corporal stripes on the tank, nor take another day to give him something just a little more creative and unique (and powerful).

Thumper26
Keep in mind that most of the bikes they build aren't paid for by OCC or Discovery. Most of those are paid for by other comapnies/charitable organiztions, etc..., who wnat a bike to promote themselves. At least that's the way it's been of late...