Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highway pegs, who has them

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 05:53 PM
The Patriot
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Highway pegs, who has them

I like the idea that the can be adjusted.

How would they hold up if the bike was droped?

Old 01-01-2008, 06:31 PM
JimBob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed them when I got my '07 XL 883L. Had been off of bikes for 20 years, but always had highway pegs when I rode before. These mounts were straightforward to install and seem like they would accomodate about any size rider in one of their three positions.

Don't know how much protection they would provide if the bike drops. Hope to remain clueless about that. I did not want to put crash bars on the bike. Just don't like the look on the Sportster. But, some prefer the look and protection of full crash bars and I don't doubt that they would provide much better "lay down insurance".

Old 01-01-2008, 08:21 PM
crazydave
Advanced

Being short (5'6") the foward controls are too far for my feet to reach. The mid pegs work fine for me most of the time. I installed engine crash bars and highway pegs and they are priceless when my legs start cramping on long runs.

And don't overlook the value of crash bars and saddle bags when you eventually drop your bike (because you eventually will). I was riding on a road last spring and dirty water covered the entire road. I eased down into 1st and slowed down and rode slowly through the dirty water. Next thing I knew, the bike and I were laying to the right on the pavement due to a huge hidden pot hole. As it was, I had a heck of a time getting my foot out from underneath the sportster. If I hadn't had the engine guard and saddle bags I probably would have ended up with a shattered ankle. That would have sucked for my riding season!

Old 01-01-2008, 08:26 PM
mrb302
Road Master

That looks like the same location as the factory forward controls on the C models. I could not live with mid controls, so I would have to have them to strecth out on longer rides.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:33 PM
GLewis
Intermediate

You can buy the same highway pegs from Iron City Cyles for about $85.00 and the pegs come with them.

GLewis

Old 01-01-2008, 09:53 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

I wanted to get them for my wife this past year. She wanted to wait has she is still a new rider, but she complained on long trips her legs would sometime feel cramped and she found herself pushing on the pegs to stretch out. I think after reading these post I will go ahead and get them for her. I just really think she will be ready this year and will like them.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Batley
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am 6' and have a custom. I actually stretch my legs all the way out, and my ankles rest on the foward pegs when I am on the hwy. Nice to be able to change position a bit on long rides.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:42 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Those wouldn't do me any good... I'm cramped with forward controls... I need something even further forward...

I have my eye on a barthat mounts forward of the forward pipe and is curved so that it is adjustable for maximum stretch... I'll probably go with that...

I just have to get off my A$$ and get it....[8D]

Charlie D.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:11 AM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am short - about 5' 3-1/2" ... but I have highway pegs and LOVE them. Because I AM short, the mid controls are not bad for me, but I do like stretching out at times, especially on longer highway trips. I tend to keep my feet on the mids when doing twisty turnies ... I personally just am more comfortable doing that. BUt having the option of different leg positions is a must becaus I found even I would get leg cramps at times, before I got them.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:59 AM
outdoorgirl57
Road Master

ORIGINAL: The Patriot

How would they hold up if the bike was droped?
Unfortunately, I can answer that question. They kept me from doing damage to mine when I lost the back end in some mud and dropped it. I think they worked as well as crash bars would have.

Quick Reply: Highway pegs, who has them