Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive shock ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 07:49 PM
pab
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progressive shock ride quality

I've read nothing but praise for Progressive shocks on this forum, so I'm considering a set for my 05 1200C, but first I'd like a little advise, and/or a few testamonials.
[ul][*]Can I get by with rear shocks only, or is there a noticeable difference with or without changing out the front springs at the same time?[*]What are the riding/handling characteristics after adding Progressive shocks/springs?[*]Is installation really as easy as some have said? I'd like to do the wrench work myself.[/ul]
Thanks in advance for all responses.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:20 PM
simonknight
Novice
Default RE: Progressive shock ride quality

Installation of rear shocks is easy.

The ride of the rear shocks (regular 412s, lowest preload, 185lb rider) is firmer but much more controlled. I rode for a few hundred miles with the just the rear shocks and found that the bike (08 1200L) dived a little over big bumps, i.e. the front suspension was exposed as too soft. When I fitted the progressive front springs, the overall balance was much better. I'm very happy with the setup.

Fitting the front springs isn't complicated but is more of a pain - getting the fork caps back on is a little awkward.

Overall the handling is much more solid through the curves and better controlled over bumps.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:25 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Put 412's on the back. They stop the bottoming out and are firmer...more solid in thecorners. Don't have the front done yet, so it still dives.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:29 PM
BigBen
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2005 1200C so I can give you my impressions. I changed to 13.5" progressives, standard, not heavy duty. The difference in ride is immediately apparent. I am 6' 5", and weigh 230. With the standard shocks, I would boddom out on everything but the highest setting. The ride was very rough. The handeling was of the charastic high rake motorcycle, that is to say, VERY stable straight line, but it took a lot of effort to turn. I also could not ever go over a speed bump without scraping the frame. Cornering was likewise severly limited, and with the 05, it is hard parts that scrape.

I changed to the 13.5" progressives because I preferr the quicker turning capabilities over the slammed rear look of the custom. I got the custom because I preferred the chrome. The ride was much improved. I can get a very cushy ride by putting the shocks on the lowest setting, without ever worrying about bottoming out. If I want more corning clearance and a firmer ride/handeling, I put them on the middle setting (out of 5).

I can't comment on shorter shocks, but I very much like my 13.5" shocks.

I didn't change the front springs, although I didchange toSE oilwhen the front fork oil was changed. Prior to oil change, front end diver was noticeable, but I never bottomed out. After the change, less noticeable. I couldn't detect any other change in ride or handeling.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:08 AM
hogsport
Road Master

I put the 412 HD 12" on my '05 1200C, easy instal, raised rear 1/2 " or so, eliminated bottoming out, absorb road bumbs much better, cost $189 / Eastern Performance.

I had rear upgrade only for a couple weeks, so no problem doing rear only, but for 1 hr & $70 I would recomend puting the Progressive front springs on as well - Benefits were less diving on stops & much better control crossing the gentle curbs (stock woud bounce the front end as crossing large bumbs, curb cuts.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:09 AM
pab
Tourer

Thanks to all for your responses.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Doug45601
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may be the only one on this forum to have changed back from Progressive shocks to the stock shocks.. Reason being, they set the bike too low and presented a little harsher ride when riding 2-up.... Otherwise really nice in the twisties and solo riding but not worth the price. resold them on ebay for half the cost. Experment cost me around 75.00 in all.

Not saying they are bad shocks, they were just not for my needs and riding style...

For some reasons unknown to man.... When we buy something we are inclined to "rave" about how wonderful it is and how everone should have it and like it... but in reality, we all have different opnions and taste. Yes I'm an impulse buyer and buy lots of things being suggested after extensive reviews but in all honesty I found very little difference between Progressive and Stock shocks that would warrant their cost. It's a matter of trial and error as to who makes a better mouse trap and for me it usually back to basics where I end up.Suttle improvements only in my opnion.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:06 AM
pab
Tourer

Doug45601
I hear you, and appreciate your view. Frequently I'm guilty of wanting, expecting &/or hoping for magic fixes, and sometimes it happens.

And to all other posters, thanks again.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:30 AM
rx3732
Advanced

Pab, how much do you weigh? I weigh 150. I put 412's on back and standard springs up front. I can not tell a difference. In fact, before having to 'tweak' the forks, the ride was much stiffer than factory. I think I'm using 5w fork oil up front now and cut down the spacers about 1/2" before I got the front end where I liked it. I got 11.5" 412's in the back (I have an '06 Custom) and it did lower my bike a bit (factory is 11.75") with the shocks on the softest setting. I think weight plays a big part in if you're going to see a difference or not.
As far as the install goes, it was a piece of cake. Did the front and back in about an hours time w/ a friends help. Having a jack to lift the bike makes it TONS easier.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:39 AM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: pab

I've read nothing but praise for Progressive shocks on this forum, so I'm considering a set for my 05 1200C, but first I'd like a little advise, and/or a few testamonials.
[ul][*]Can I get by with rear shocks only, or is there a noticeable difference with or without changing out the front springs at the same time?[*]What are the riding/handling characteristics after adding Progressive shocks/springs?[*]Is installation really as easy as some have said? I'd like to do the wrench work myself.[/ul]
Thanks in advance for all responses.
IMO, as with most twin-shock bikes and non-adjustable forks, you'll likely see more bang-for-the-buck replacing the front springs, preloaders and going with thicker oil if you only want to, or can only afford to, do one end of the bike. Best solution is to do both ends at the same time. The only real time you need to change *just* the rears is when you're just plain at the spring's limit.

Quick Reply: Progressive shock ride quality