Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Then Came Bronson" (Pilot To '69-'70 TV Series)

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 12:53 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default "Then Came Bronson" (Pilot To '69-'70 TV Series)

I was snooping around, and noticed that someone has placed the full Pilot Movie on YouTube, in a 10 part series...

Thought some of you might be interested in watching it as well.

As most know, "Then Came Bronson" was the pilot movie (Michael Parks on his Sportster) for the 1969 - 1970 television series.

Been a long time since I was the full movie, and it's as good now as it ever was....

Anyway, for those interested, here is Part 1. Each segment is about 9 minutes long, and if you click on the guys User Name it will list the other 9 segments...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4ebZsLrG3lQ

Old 12-25-2007, 04:58 PM
liddown
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "Then Came Bronson" (Pilot To '69-'70 TV Series)

Thanks OFG!!!

I was a young one this was one of my favorite movies... For some reason it was only on late at night but the folks were cool with letting me stay up to watch the movie... A couple of months ago I saw it on one of the free movie channels... I remember being so Pissed when the doof rode his bike into the lake!!! I think between watching this movie and looking at the pictures of the choppers on the Jame Gang Rides Again album got me hooked....LOL

Old 12-25-2007, 06:01 PM
flpops
Cruiser

Thanks! The rest are here.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=ThenCameBronsonFan

Old 12-25-2007, 08:42 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, thanks.

Been many years since I saw that.....I just watched it again courtesy of you.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:34 PM
agedwards63
Road Master

The hill climbing sporty gotta love it how many times was that bike dropped in that episode???

Old 12-25-2007, 10:00 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: agedwards63

The hill climbing sporty gotta love it how many times was that bike dropped in that episode???
The actual bike used for the hill climbing wasn't a Sportster, but a CZ...

Here is information on the various bikes used for the pilot movie and the television series.

TCB Motorcycles:
The motorcycles used in the series were supplied by Harley-Davidson (according to the closing credits of the episodes); Sportsters were used for the road shots and close-ups, with a Harley-Davidson Sprint SS350 and a Czechoslovakian CZ, and possibly a Harley Rapido 125, used occasionally for hillclimbs, beach scenes and other rough-terrain riding.
According to Bud Ekins, the stunt coordinator for the movie and the series, MGM bought two or three Sportsters for the pilot movie (which was filmed in the fall of 1968; the bikes were probably the 1969 model XLH). The bike used in the hill climb and beach scenes was a CZ, provided by Bud, who was a CZ dealer at the time. The bikes were sold after the movie was completed.
After the movie proved popular, and the series was scheduled, Harley-Davidson provided three Sportsters, one of which was customized with a side-car for close-up shots. H-D also provided a Sprint 350 and later a Rapido 125 (used in the moto-cross in the episode entitled Mating Dance For Tender Grass). The Rapido crashed before the shooting of the episode was finished, putting the stunt rider into the hospital. In that episode, the race's first prize was a green 1970 H-D Sportster, with the new "boat tail" seat/fender assembly. (It was first prize for a real race that was actually held for the episode, and was donated by Harley - even though it had been previously promised to another, paying customer of H-D! The customer did get his bike a week or so later.) In the episode entitled The Great Motorcycle Fiasco, the motorcycle, a "1937 Rudge Ulster with a bronze head," used by actor Keenan Wynn, was owned by either Keenan or Bud Ekins, who recommended Keenan for the part.
Bud said he was the one who customized the Sportsters and other cycles, and said the sissy bar came off of a Schwinn bicycle. He also said that no Triumphs, Yamahas or other cycles were used in the movie or episodes in place of the "Bronson" Sportsters, except the CZ (in the pilot movie) and the H-D Sprint and Rapido (in the episodes).
Bud said he trained Kurt Russell, who appeared on one TCB episode, to ride a cycle with a sidecar for the movie Swing Shift, which also starred Goldie Hawn. Click here for a look at a lobby card from that movie.
One thing Bud said was that, toward the end of the series, one of the Sportsters was dropped repeatedly in a studio to create sound effects of a crash. I tend to think it was for "THE FOREST PRIMEVAL" episode (aired in March 1970), where the bike crashes down the hillside.
In place of the Harley-Davidson logo on the gas tank, the bikes had a decal of a pyramid with an eye in the center. (When asked where the design idea came from, Michael Parks said to look on the back of a dollar bill. Bud Ekins thought it was designed either by someone in MGM or by one of the show's producers.)

The following comes from Cycle magazine for February 1970:

"The Bronson Bike"
MGM Press Release
[i]For afficionados, the changes are as follows. The front wheel was replaced with a 21" aluminum rim carrying a 3.00 x 21 ribbed tire. The front fender was changed to a chromeplated, bobbed piece and the headlight nacelle, or housing, was removed and a chrome sports light(*) replaced it. A Harley-Davidson CH gas tank replaced the standard tank, and the oil tank and rear shock springs were chrome plated. A kickstarter was added although the Sportster carries an electric starter. (W

Old 12-25-2007, 10:13 PM
agedwards63
Road Master

Wow many thanks for that OFG Ihave always really dug that bike I always wondered how it got the chrome front fender on it (and why it almost always started on the first kick )

Old 12-26-2007, 02:20 AM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

first time im seeing this, i LOVE it

hahahaha, he made the sportster look bad *** until he dumped it in the sand

lol only on part 2, ill spend all night watching this though

thanks

Old 03-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Out of curiosity, does anyone know where we could get the series on DVD?

Old 03-16-2008, 10:17 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just Google it! It was my favorite show!!

Quick Reply: "Then Came Bronson" (Pilot To '69-'70 TV Series)