Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ready to buy, but what?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 11:45 PM
templar
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ready to buy, but what?

Here it is. I am going to buy a Harley, no doubt about it. However, I am not sure what model. I am 215lbs and 6' tall. I have thought about either the nightster or 1200 custom, but my wife wants to ride eventually. She is 5'10" and140 All my friends are telling me to get a dyna or bigger, but I really don't want alot of bulk. So, any suggestions?

Old 12-24-2007, 12:52 AM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: ready to buy, but what?

I suggest that you sit on as many bikes as possible (within your price range).... This willhelp to narrow down the options (some won't feel right and some will). I am obviously a big fan of the Nightster... But it is NOT a good two person machine. The 1200C can be outfitted slightly better for two... But Sportsters will never be the most comfortable two person bikes.

Dyna models are only slightly better two person bikes. To get any realimprovement in two-up comfort, you have to go with aRoad King or other touring class bike IMHO... Softailscan be modified to be reasonably comfortable two-up bikes also.

Is your wife going to be riding with you a good portion of the time?.... Long trips? If you answered yes to either of these questions, the Sportster might not be the right bike.... Keep in mind that this is coming from a guy who is a die-hard Sporty fan. Now, if your wife might be interested in getting her own bike.... Bingo!... The Sportster is back in play.

If you go with theNightster, you will definitely need forward controls (anyone over 5'8" probably does). The 1200C has the comfort advantages of pre-existing forward controls and more travel in the suspension. Comfort was not my primary concern in buying the Nightster, and I do believe it is the coolest thing going.

If you are going to be riding two-up on a regular basis, you might consider a Softail Heritage or Road King (Harley's two best selling bikes).These bikes are considerablyheavier and more expensive than Sportsters... They are probably just as easy to ride though, once you get used to them.

I hope this info. helps... Good luck and MerryChristmas!

Old 12-24-2007, 03:52 AM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member

I couldnt have said it any better than HDK.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:52 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Correct! I ride a 1200 C but I have the bike only because I ride solo. My wife doesn't ride behind me anymore which is o.k. The Sportster is a great solo bike but is too small for any extended two up riding. The last Harley I had when we both rode together was a Heritage Classic and that was a very comfortable 'two up' bike.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:37 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 5'8", and 148 (the Mrs. about 130) and though we ride together some on my 1200C for short trips, its my opinion that cost-wise the Dyna would be better (Road King better yet) for lots of 2-up riding. The sporster takes a bit of trial and error with comfortable seats and different shocks to make it a tolerable 2-up or long haul ride. I love the 1200C and its fun to ride, fast and nimbe but far from a touring machine.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:39 AM
txoval
Road Captain

I also agree with everything HDK said, sit on all of the different models and you will be shocked at how some of the "bulky" bikes don't feel that way. For example, for me the Deluxe is the most balanced bike HD makes and feels lighter than my Nightster. I would never buy a sporty for a two-up bike...

Old 12-24-2007, 08:44 AM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: templar

Here it is. I am going to buy a Harley, no doubt about it. However, I am not sure what model. I am 215lbs and 6' tall. I have thought about either the nightster or 1200 custom, but my wife wants to ride eventually. She is 5'10" and140 All my friends are telling me to get a dyna or bigger, but I really don't want alot of bulk. So, any suggestions?
Get a super glide. They are not really bigger then a sportster, but they are wider and sit lower. They are not bulky at all and are very easy to handle. A sportster is a sport cruiser...slim and tall.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:04 PM
HDHornet
Road Warrior

If your choice is between a Dyna and a Sportster and you can afford the Dyna then go ahead and buy it. It is a better two up bike and eventually you will move up anyway.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:49 PM
thekidnkaren
Tourer

Bought a 1200C new in 02' Loved the bike for poppin around town but Had a surgery to my spine in 05 and found I could only handle it for about 30-45 min rides at a time. Bought an 05 electraglide police this year and can ride all day. Gave my wife the sporty and when I take it for gas or a short trip to the gas station it feels like I am on a minibike. The bigger (Bulky bikes) don't seem so big after a short time riding them. These folks are giving you sound advice, I am 6'3' and 250, everyone always made fun of how I looked on my sporty but, after I was done building it they only saw it from the back!

Old 12-24-2007, 03:21 PM
hogsport
Road Master

All good advice above. I have been really happy with my 1200C, I am always looking fr a war to get more legroom (6'4 ) Rented a WideGlide for a tour up the Fla coast last week & thought it handled very easy (only 60 lb heavier than the 04+ sporty anyway) This one was stock and rode better than my 1200C with upgraded seat & shocks. The advantage of the sportster is you can get a 2-3 yr old nice bike for under 6k this time of year. Extended 2-up cruising wouldbe muchmore comfy with the BTs.

Quick Reply: ready to buy, but what?