Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XL 1200N Performance mods give me your opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 05:36 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: XL 1200N Performance mods give me your opinions

The biggest boost out of all my mods was the 2into1 pipe and the forcewinder. Drag pipes are not going to boost your performance
they aregoing to cause you to lose 15-20% of your midrange torque. Thundermax is a great idea.I would do those and see if you arent more than happy without cams or big bore kits. The 6 speed is way unneeded unless you like cruising over 110 mph(maybe you do but not me)I am a speed junkie and I am well pleased with my bikes mods...
ORIGINAL: Necromancer

Thanks for all the replies,

First off thanks Mark g, for all the help you have given me so far.

Let me say that I love the sound and looks of the V&H pipes I got on my bike right now, but dam those side shots are plain and simply sweet!

I plan on getting the Thunder Max EFI with auto tune (I think she needs it!),

I plan on going with the ForceWinder, I threw the other out there for input to see what others thought of them.

I haven’t got any input regarding either a cam kit, top end kit, or a stroker kit (not that I have found one for an EFI EVO). Any one know of reliability issues with a stroker kit? I still want to be able to tour cross country and not worry if my scoot is going to die on me.

The whole 6 speed trans is getting a LOT of grief.
Let me just clarify, that I do not plan on doing this mod, I was just saying that I know they exist, and was not sure if there were any issues with the factory trans holding up, say if you stroked the motor, in which case I would probably need a better clutch, internals, etc.

Thanks again,Robert

Old 12-17-2007, 08:28 PM
Stefan
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Let me say that I love the sound and looks of the V&H pipes I got on my bike right now, but dam those side shots are plain and simply sweet!
Then stick with them.

I haven’t got any input regarding either a cam kit, top end kit, or a stroker kit (not that I have found one for an EFI EVO). Any one know of reliability issues with a stroker kit? I still want to be able to tour cross country and not worry if my scoot is going to die on me.
Stroking the engine you're looking at over $5K.

Let me just clarify, that I do not plan on doing this mod, I was just saying that I know they exist, and was not sure if there were any issues with the factory trans holding up, say if you stroked the motor, in which case I would probably need a better clutch, internals, etc.
The stock transmission is very solid. If you are looking to lower rev on the highway, then buy a 30 tooth sproket instead. At worst, you'll just need a clutch kit.
As stated by others. 2 into 1 exhaust is a performance imporvement. If you want looks and sound and performance then go 2 out of 3 and keep your looks and sound everybody else does.

Cams and top end (heads) can give you a screaming 1200. You keep reliability if you keep stock stroke and rpms under 7k. Such mods should not cost over $5k.

The problem is the piston speed with the single crankpin design at 45 degrees. The force of the pistons against the cylinder walls at high rpm is what ruins strokers (synthetic oil does not stop the basic force/friction problem). Most of the stroker/big borekits also need the piston skirts to be trimmed at BDC (bottom dead center) to keep the skirts from colliding, this adds to the imbalance of the pistons and lack of engine life.

Your stock 1200 should be good for speeds over 100 mph. My 883 goes 90 easy, 100+ if there is a straightaway long enough. A2006 1200c I borrowed was good for 120 mph. If you don't need to go 120 andwant more punch off the line get the 26 tooth front sprocket from Baker drivetrain. Your top speed will then be ~107mph.

The six speed transmission from Baker does not advertize fitting bikes 2004 and newer. Check with them before ordering it.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:19 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard a lot of folks say that 2into1s dont sound good but mine sound better than the SE slip ons or the cycleshack slip ons I
have ran before, they also sound better than V&H pipes (to me) They arethroaty and rich with a real nice sound on decell.
I coundnt be happier.
ORIGINAL: Stefan

Then stick with them.

Stroking the engine you're looking at over $5K.

The stock transmission is very solid. If you are looking to lower rev on the highway, then buy a 30 tooth sproket instead. At worst, you'll just need a clutch kit.
As stated by others. 2 into 1 exhaust is a performance imporvement. If you want looks and sound and performance then go 2 out of 3 and keep your looks and sound everybody else does.

Cams and top end (heads) can give you a screaming 1200. You keep reliability if you keep stock stroke and rpms under 7k. Such mods should not cost over $5k.

The problem is the piston speed with the single crankpin design at 45 degrees. The force of the pistons against the cylinder walls at high rpm is what ruins strokers (synthetic oil does not stop the basic force/friction problem). Most of the stroker/big borekits also need the piston skirts to be trimmed at BDC (bottom dead center) to keep the skirts from colliding, this adds to the imbalance of the pistons and lack of engine life.

Your stock 1200 should be good for speeds over 100 mph. My 883 goes 90 easy, 100+ if there is a straightaway long enough. A2006 1200c I borrowed was good for 120 mph. If you don't need to go 120 andwant more punch off the line get the 26 tooth front sprocket from Baker drivetrain. Your top speed will then be ~107mph.

The six speed transmission from Baker does not advertize fitting bikes 2004 and newer. Check with them before ordering it.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:24 PM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is a link to the engine kit I will eventually have. http://www.zippersperformance.com/ca...&prod=2031
be sure to check out the dyno charts!

I've heard alot of good things about 2 into 1 pipes. The one's i've heard didn't sound bad either. I hate the look, but that's just me.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:49 AM
joakim
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Mark g
here is a link to the engine kit I will eventually have. http://www.zippersperformance.com/ca...=865&prod=2031
be sure to check out the dyno charts!

I've heard alot of good things about 2 into 1 pipes. The one's i've heard didn't sound bad either. I hate the look, but that's just me.
Hey Mark - have you talked to Zipper's at all about pricing? Have they given you an idea about the 88" kit?

Old 12-18-2007, 07:34 AM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

I have not gotten the price of the 88 kit. When I talked to them last ,I was asking about the 100" kit , complete that kit will run about 16,000.00. But after talking with John at Zipper's, he convinced me that the 100" kit is not feasable for daily driving. They did send me all the info for each of the sportster kits. They recommended the 88 hammer kit.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:46 AM
txoval
Road Captain

$16,000!!! I love my Nightster, but for that much I would trade it in for a screaming eagle dyna.

Honestly, for me(Just my Opinion) anything over the Stage 1 Upgrades is a waste on a Sportster, but I also plan on trading mine in in the near future for a softail or street glide. By waste I mean you will never get your money back

Old 12-18-2007, 11:02 AM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

You'll never get your money back out of any motorcycle or upgrade. For me it's not about worth, it's about personal satisfaction.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 12-18-2007, 11:12 AM
lamp24
Intermediate

Mark g
I have been thinking of getting a thunder max EFI kit.
Exactly what came in your thunder max EFI kit?
Also where did you end up purchasing yours?
Is there anything that you do not like about it?

Thanks
Matt

Old 12-18-2007, 03:16 PM
txoval
Road Captain

Mark g, I agree that you will never get your money back and I'm sure our situations are different. Meaning I plan to trade-in my Nightster in a few years for a bigger bike. If I planned on keeping it forever that 88 kit would be tempting.

I have no idea how much that value that 100" kit would add to a potential buyer, but I'd bet it wouldn't be much

Ofcourse my bike is plenty fast for me

Quick Reply: XL 1200N Performance mods give me your opinions