Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too Cold to Ride Safe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 05:21 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts
Default RE: Too Cold to Ride Safe?

I've never been stopped from riding by snow, sleet, ice, road salt, or sub-freezing temperatures. But then, we don't see any of that stuff in S. Florida.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:31 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ride when its real cold too to keep my bike charged up and to feel it purr. But if you have to wrap up too much it really is less fun and prolly more dangerous as to restricting your movements and such, I dont ride in ice but I rode in snow before.
ORIGINAL: Dallastx

I don't ride at freezing. I usually don't ride under 38, but I rode at 37 today.. Tomorrow looks like 30. I have cabin fever, I gotta ride!

Old 12-19-2007, 07:20 PM
TestFlyer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm tired of cHarley always bragging about his nice warm Florida riding climate..geeze, give us poor ****** up here in miserable new england a break already!

To answer the original post, the key is dressing warm enough but retaining as much flexibility to move your arms, neck, etc. I wear a hat under my half helmet, a fleece (Polar Tek) neck warmer, Under Armor thermal pants and shirt, HD winter gauntlets (also Polar Tek lined), sweatshirt under my insulated leather jacket and jeans. A windshield is a must. For me, low 30's is doable, for a couple of hours.

But, the roads around here are a mess - icy spots at sundown and early morning, slush on the edges all day, TONS of salt, - - no way is it rideable in my estimation, at least here in CT. What a shame.

Hmm, maybe cHarley is on to something..........

Old 12-19-2007, 10:07 PM
yomomma22
Road Captain

Coldest I have rode in was 23 out. Rode 20-25 miles all hwy doing 65-80mph with no shield. I had chaps,sweat shirt, leather jacket, gloves,face mask and 3/4 helmet. I did spend half the time holding my crotch with my left hand though. Had to keep moving my fingers to keep them warm and had some frozen snot. Other than that not to bad.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:34 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

33 out and getting ready to head out for the ride to work. At least it's above freezing.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:35 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

PIB, I had the same problems last year in the cold. Just couldn't keep my fingers warm. This year....HEATED GLOVES!!! They work great.

www.gerbing.com

www.cozywinters.com

Old 12-27-2007, 02:26 PM
MosesJJN
Cruiser

Hypothermia has the same effect as being drunk. Your vision gets blurry, you begin to slur your words and your reactions slow down.

Once I rode about three hours to visit someone in college and it was like 40 degree F when I set out. Sun went down and it quickly dropped to high 20's F. When I got to where I was going, Iwas so chilled my coordination was so shot I could barely walk. I kept dropping my keys and nearly fell over trying to pick them up. I realized I had hypothermia - fortunately there were showers in the dorms so I immediatelytook as hot a showeras I could standuntil I returned to normal.

So...how well can you dodge cagers and other road hazards in that condition?

PS On the ride back home it was a lot warmer but rained the whole way...

Old 12-29-2007, 04:14 PM
hawaiibound
Tourer

There's still hope for a New Years Day ride here in Boise.... The snow and iceis melting off the roads! [sm=bounceybounce.gif]

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...n/IMG_0155.jpg

Old 02-06-2008, 06:06 AM
docbulldog
Intermediate

I typically don't ride below 40. That means that I am pretty sure there won't be ice and the windchill won't be much below freezing. The biggest problem that I have run into is that (like has already been stated) your reflex time slows down due to the muscles becoming stiffer and the brain functions slowing down. Then the effects of a little tail wiggle from loose rock are greatly increased. Of course mynormal cold rides are about 90 miles one way so I have to be extra careful. I try to take a few stops on the way.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Stefan
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I forgot to check the temp yesterday riding to work. 13*F and 9*Fgoing to work and 12*F going home.
Safe, yes.
The thumbs of my gloves are not as insulated as the rest of the gloves and I would tuck them under fingers to warm the backs with heated grips.
The HD heated grips still put out noticable heat at temps arround 10*F and speeds over 60mph.

Quick Reply: Too Cold to Ride Safe?