Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too Cold to Ride Safe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 06:43 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Too Cold to Ride Safe?

ORIGINAL: RokkinOut

Meanwhile, a friend of mine at work gave me an old set of chaps that he doesn't wear anymore. Now, some people might think that chaps are "gay", and I never considered myself a "Chaps Man", but I must say that they are very effective in the cold. I tested them out in the cold about two weeks ago and they did their job flawlessly.

The only problem was that after I returned home I had a strange desire to listen to a Liza Minelli album while sipping on a white wine spritzer. Go figure.
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

I've never owned chaps and I am sure they work pretty good but I'll stick with thermal underwear because while also goofy looking no one can see how goofy I look in them. Also my legs stay pretty warm anyways so the thermal underwear seems to work just fine.
The things that get cold on me the most are my face/neck and hands. I think I took care of the cold face and neck problem with a neck warmer fleece thing and a face mask made of neoprene. The cold hands problem was minimized some by putting some wool glove liners inside my leather gloves butlast Saturday I went on a ride with my local PGR group for the Wreaths Across America and my hands were freezing. I really need to do something about that beforeI lose a couple of fingers.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:02 PM
Stefan
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

is that why my bike runs like crap on the interstate when it's this cold? I'm sure it was under 20 when I hit the wide valley on I-75 this morning by the Georgia Welcome Center...it's always coldest there....and it'll cough a couple of times until I get outta the bottoms through there.
I dunno? My machine runs & idles fine at cold temps. My fuel mileage gets to as low as 45 mpg, I blame that on the time to warm the engine than the cool intake air. I get more than 60 mpg on over 80* & humid days. Judging on fuel efficiency, my machine likes it hotter than colder.

50 mph is the slowest speed at which the butterfly has frozen. The easiest way to freeze it is to go 75 mph, for more than 1/2 hour, on a humid below 20* day. I have no idea why I don't get frost bite. My commute to work is 50 miles on roads with speed limits from 30 mph to 55. For those with maps, Manchester to Portsmouth, NH via route 4. Taking route 101 is a sure way to freeze the carb.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:47 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stefan

At temps below 20*F and speeds over 50 mph the carbuerator freezes. If I had EFI I would get heated gear and go to lower temps. As it is I figure I can go as low as the machine can go.
I didnt think a carb could freeze, i mean on a harley its sitting right between both hot cylinders and at least on my bike its almost completely blocked from wind, the aircleaner is pretty big and surrounds it and bolts onto the engine heads.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:49 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Biker Trash

ORIGINAL: JosephGarcia

nights here in LA have been low 40s to high 30s, lowest temps ive ridden in so far. 5 minutes on the road and im shivering, my arms and thighs are cramping, i can barely control the bike. i gotta pull over, keep the bike running, and hug the engine for awhile, haha

i dress with 2 pairs of jeans on at once, thick over ankle boots that seal pretty well, long sleeve shirt, full leather jacket, 2 pairs of gloves, beanie covering ears and forehead and neck, goggles, and face mask covering the rest of my face. the cold just gets through everything!

A pair offleece lined jeans will do wonders for the legs crampin' from cold.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=7695020

I got mine from the local Wal Mart store but for those in the not so cold climates like California who want em you can order em online.
Wow, i never knew about that. thanks, im going to buy dedicated cold weather riding jeans tomorrow then.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Stefan
Road Master

I didnt think a carb could freeze, i mean on a harley its sitting right between both hot cylinders and at least on my bike its almost completely blocked from wind, the aircleaner is pretty big and surrounds it and bolts onto the engine heads.
At temps below 20*F go 50 mph for ~20 miles and you can put naked fingers on the fins of both heads without burning. That's just fun trivia. I don't have thermal programs and don't know exactly what the temp profile is of the engine.

This would happen to VW buggies with the engine exposed. Without a hood things get cold quickly, like riding without a widnshield.

There is not enough heat at the mouth of the carb, the air sucks in, picking up lots of velocity, cooling the air tremendously, picks up more moisture from the fuel and goes past the butterfly, freezing it open. 50 mph on a 883 is ~27k rpm, 65 mph ~35k. It's too late at night to do volume fill/air velocity equations.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:38 PM
Batley
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Biker Trash

ORIGINAL: JosephGarcia

nights here in LA have been low 40s to high 30s, lowest temps ive ridden in so far. 5 minutes on the road and im shivering, my arms and thighs are cramping, i can barely control the bike. i gotta pull over, keep the bike running, and hug the engine for awhile, haha

i dress with 2 pairs of jeans on at once, thick over ankle boots that seal pretty well, long sleeve shirt, full leather jacket, 2 pairs of gloves, beanie covering ears and forehead and neck, goggles, and face mask covering the rest of my face. the cold just gets through everything!

A pair offleece lined jeans will do wonders for the legs crampin' from cold.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=7695020

I got mine from the local Wal Mart store but for those in the not so cold climates like California who want em you can order em online.
Yep..I wear the fleece-jeans and they work great. I have a hat under my 3/4 helmet with a fleece face mask, and a leather jacket. Big gloves for the hands.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:34 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member

At temps below 20*F go 50 mph for ~20 miles and you can put naked fingers on the fins of both heads without burning. That's just fun trivia. I don't have thermal programs and don't know exactly what the temp profile is of the engine.

This would happen to VW buggies with the engine exposed. Without a hood things get cold quickly, like riding without a widnshield.

There is not enough heat at the mouth of the carb, the air sucks in, picking up lots of velocity, cooling the air tremendously, picks up more moisture from the fuel and goes past the butterfly, freezing it open. 50 mph on a 883 is ~27k rpm, 65 mph ~35k. It's too late at night to do volume fill/air velocity equations.
Alright I see what your saying.

I thought I saw an accesories for engine guards/crash bars. it was like a leather sleeve that stopped wind from passing the sides of the bike and up the riders legs, possibly these could keep an engine warmer on colder days? Basically a sheild fit around the crash bars pipes so its a flat wall not an open space for air to pass.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:44 AM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Go 20 miles at 50mph in 20F and you will most likely not be able tomove your fingers/arms/etc to give a ****.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:28 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Buddy, I just have to disagree with you on that. I've read your other posts, and highly respect your experience with Sportys. But, I've rode my bike several hundred miles on the interstate at 70 mph or higher (temps well below30, and a couple of times below 20)with no problems. At least no problems with the bike.

You've got to protect the skin. Keep it from being exposed to the wind and cold.

Chaps for good for that PIB!! I hate the things also...but surprisingly...successful professional type chicks find them sexy..

Old 12-19-2007, 04:52 AM
Stefan
Road Master

But, I've rode my bike several hundred miles on the interstate at 70 mph or higher (temps well below30, and a couple of times below 20)with no problems. At least no problems with the bike.
Lets see if I can get away without tons of flame for this statement.

Perhaps it's just some higer powers way of saying it's too cold out. [sm=bangbang.gif]

Quick Reply: Too Cold to Ride Safe?