Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too Cold to Ride Safe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Stefan
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Too Cold to Ride Safe?

At temps below 20*F and speeds over 50 mph the carbuerator freezes. If I had EFI I would get heated gear and go to lower temps. As it is I figure I can go as low as the machine can go.

ps: The new salt mixes (calcuim chloride) eat machines quickly. I try to avoid salted roads.

This spring I got HD heated grips. They are worth the $$$ if the temps are below 50*F for 1/2 of the year.
A windshield is also very nice in the low temps.
As for legs I wear leather pants with wool blend underneath.
I have yet to find a windchill chart that covers speeds over 40mph. I have no idea what the windchill temps I ride in are.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:24 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If the temp is above freezing and the roads are dry then I will ride.

The only problem I have is a red nose when I get there.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:49 PM
gmerr2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Stefan...is that why my bike runs like crap on the interstate when it's this cold? I'm sure it was under 20 when I hit the wide valley on I-75 this morning by the Georgia Welcome Center...it's always coldest there....and it'll cough a couple of times until I get outta the bottoms through there.

Rev. George.....Chattanooga, Tn

Old 12-17-2007, 01:56 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Batley

I know where your coming from living in Wisconsin. I ride in temps as low as 20 when I can, but due to the snow right now I can't. I will if the roads get any better soon just because if I don't i have to wait until at least the end of March. I have gear that works for me so the temp isn't the issue only the road conditions and the ice spots are the most dangerous. I think as long as you ride with a little more caution and pay attention to how the bike is handling and performing you'll be ok.
+ 1 On the Wisconsin winters. 34 degrees was my lowest riding temp.
The roads are terrible as far as riding goes in the Milwaukee area. I've put my bike away until it warms up, the snow melts, and the salt is washed away by the first good rain of the year.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:01 PM
Dale Franks
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Down here in San Diego, it's been in the mid-30's or so in the morning when I make my 30-mille commute to work, about 1/3 of which is on the interstate. I have fur-lined boots, tourmaster jacket and pants, a polyproylene headover, and full face helmet.

I've been very comfortably warm every morning. The only problem has been the face-shield on my helmet. It has a tendency to fog up at low speeds or stoplights, but if I crack the visor, it's fine.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: JosephGarcia

nights here in LA have been low 40s to high 30s, lowest temps ive ridden in so far. 5 minutes on the road and im shivering, my arms and thighs are cramping, i can barely control the bike. i gotta pull over, keep the bike running, and hug the engine for awhile, haha

i dress with 2 pairs of jeans on at once, thick over ankle boots that seal pretty well, long sleeve shirt, full leather jacket, 2 pairs of gloves, beanie covering ears and forehead and neck, goggles, and face mask covering the rest of my face. the cold just gets through everything!

A pair offleece lined jeans will do wonders for the legs crampin' from cold.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=7695020

I got mine from the local Wal Mart store but for those in the not so cold climates like California who want em you can order em online.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:35 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've never had a problem with my carb freezing when riding faster than 50mh and temps below 20. I've only done that a couple of times, but the bike did fine. I was pretty darn cold, but the bike was fine.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:37 PM
brian falcone
Tourer

i ran to get milk last week. it was 27 degrees. i couldnt breath and allmost had to pull over, call me a wuss but if i cant inhale then i cant ride, the bike is now sitting in my heated basement room. ill go again this spring, that and theres 2 feet of snow here. brian

Old 12-17-2007, 06:07 PM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Follow the 30-30-30 rule. If it is 30F degrees out, and you ride 30minutes at 30mph, anything exposed can get frostbitten. Go over 30 mph and that time decreases exponentially.

I rode last year when it was 28F out about 10 miles doing between 30-55mph. I was wearing jeans, leather/lined jacket, half-helmet, a balaclava, leather/lined gloves. There were little spots around my balaclava the air snuck into that burned like a ***** with an STD. I also had headaches for about 3 days afterwards. That was my limit.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:28 PM
RokkinOut
6th Gear

I'm no fan of riding in the cold, but sometimes, when it has been weeks since I've heard my bike run, I like to get all bundled up and go for a blast. I've ridden in as low as 19 degrees (in my younger days) here in Long Island, N.Y. Bikes run better in the cold. I guess it's the dense air.

I considered taking my bike out just the other day, when it was about 30 degrees and sunny, but when I was driving my car I noticed spots of ice here and there. I considered that a deal-breaker. There is no use winding up in a hospital (or even worse) because of some stupid patch of ice that I didn't see.

Meanwhile, a friend of mine at work gave me an old set of chaps that he doesn't wear anymore. Now, some people might think that chaps are "gay", and I never considered myself a "Chaps Man", but I must say that they are very effective in the cold. I tested them out in the cold about two weeks ago and they did their job flawlessly.

The only problem was that after I returned home I had a strange desire to listen to a Liza Minelli album while sipping on a white wine spritzer. Go figure.

Quick Reply: Too Cold to Ride Safe?