Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike goggles vs Ski goggles

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 10:43 PM
Skull_XL883
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike goggles vs Ski goggles

Hello,

I'm not very impressed with the GOGGS motorcycle goggles that I got a few months back. They were under $50 and seemed to work fine for awhile. But these days it's a 50/50 chance that I will have sealed well enough on a ride. I have them over prescription glasses so maybe that's part of the problem. The bad rides involve tons of air shooting through the unsealed area's of the goggles straight into my eyeballs, then the watering becomes non-stop. It sucks. The other day I had to pull over after a few miles because my eyes were almost numb. No matter how much I tried, they would not seal. I then reversed my course for home and put on my helmet.

I have seen ski goggles at local stores (Big 5, Sports Authority, Ski Chalet) and have wondered if they'd be worth a try. They are larger and look better sealed than the biker goggles.

Have you tried ski goggles on the bike at all? Are they a hit or miss for riding? Since they are cold weather goggles I'd think they'd be perfect for cold weather biking too.... or maybe not. What do you look for when you are buying "great goggles"?

I'm always trying new things to save money while trying to get themaximum benefit.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:56 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Bike goggles vs Ski goggles

I don't wear glasses and I love my GOGGS. Which ones did you buy? I have the Flexors.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:56 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found some great goggles forabout $40at one of the metric Indy stores. I only wear readers, but a lot of their dirt bike goggles looked like they might work over prescription glasses.

If you want to spend some money, take a look at the Halcyon goggles ( www.classicpartsltd.com ). Santa's bringing a set my way this year. They're a bit retro looking, but, hell, I'm pretty retro myself.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:30 PM
Skull_XL883
Novice

Maybe I got what I paid for in the GOGGS... they were super cheap when I found them on sale...
GUARD-DOGS Commander 2 Over-the-Glasses Goggle Set CLEAR & SMOKE LENSES (#8336) http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=CGC_ 051-19-01&tier2=3114

They were on sale back then and I wanted to experience riding the way I saw everyone else riding... perhaps ifI spend more $$$ then I won't have the "sealing" problem anymore.

Before I ride I always make sure that the middle seam of the goggles is equal between both eyes but then I do a guesstamation in my head as to how much "too tight" is before I take off on the ride. Sometimes it just takes the opening and closing of my eyes on the rode before things start to look weird and the air creeps in.

I'm looking at a THH T-69 half helmet tomorrow and and maybe the Dragon MDX Gunmetal goggles too. They were both made for street riding so I might have luck on both.

Ihave thought about trying out my Desert Storm goggles (sun wind dust) but theyseem toodark for the road in daytime and near blackout at night.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:30 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have the same ones, they same GOGGS on the elastic strip but have Guard Dogs - Aggresive Eyewear on the soft cases.

cost me 50 bucks too

about the sealing, the foam is glued onto the plastic frame and after awhile it deteriates, some areas were coming off so i reglued them. also, if you wear the glasses wrong the goggles might seal at first, then change shape over time to fit and then not seal anymore.

i have to bend my prescription glasses frames outward at the nose part, so the edges bend inwards, this allows me to put the goggles on tighter without them pushing my glasses into my nose. and if you tighten the goggles, you make a better seal

try messing with the goggles you have now before you get a new pair

i hate the air blasts, when i get them i pull over and adjust, im impressed that you actually took rides and dealt with that, i couldnt.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:07 AM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

These are Great, I use them over my glasses http://www.shopxr.com/showproduct.as...&aid=10050

Old 12-16-2007, 12:40 AM
VanIslander
Stage III

I bought some nice ski goggles cheaplast Spring after the ski hill had closed and the local ski shop was closing out their stock. They work really well over my prescription glasses and I have no more problem with watering eyes.

The only problem might they don't have much protection from flying rocks or road debris.

[IMG]local://upfiles/46647/73EB8664357247779449F13289B55909.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-16-2007, 03:32 AM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Panoptx are the best thing going... Zero wind entering the lens (even with no strap)... And they have the transitional day/night lens... Spendy... But far less dorky looking than ski goggles.... good stuff.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:33 AM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

P.S. If you want some at a discount, pm me.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:17 AM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What he said...Panoptx are by far the best. They ain't cheap either but they are the best and you can get 'scripts made for them. As for ski googles, you'd probably be better off trying motorcross goggles. Oakley makes some sweet ones.

ORIGINAL: HighDesertKid

Panoptx are the best thing going... Zero wind entering the lens (even with no strap)... And they have the transitional day/night lens... Spendy... But far less dorky looking than ski goggles.... good stuff.

Quick Reply: Bike goggles vs Ski goggles