Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster,what a BLAST

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 09:31 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sportster,what a BLAST

Every chance I get I take the wife's sportster out. Love to ride the twisties on it. We call her Pearl cause she's got that raspy roar and then smooths out with a little lovin.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:31 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HAHA! Mine kicks butt! I love it.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:44 PM
twisty571
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: espacef1fan

I dont know Kieth..the 883 sportster seems pretty easy to handle..and the power isnt overwhelming....atleast not any more so than most other starter bikes....unless you are THAT hamfisted..and at that point..if you have hand eye coordination problems that severe..I bet it would be fun to watch you eat..lol

I knowsome folks whogo straight to the big twin because some of those are lower and not so torquey if you get what I'm sayin'? You must since your sig says your rollin' an Enduro. I have let a couple learn on my Shadow and glad I did because I won't let any of them learn on my Sporty.Yes it maybe 1 of the easiest Harleys to ride but there is plenty of better options for a first ride. I bought Dawn 1 to learn on because she thought that's the only bike she wanted till she got on it by herself. LOL now she is learning on the Shadow because it's lighter & lower & she sold her Sportster.[&:]

Old 12-13-2007, 09:53 PM
espacef1fan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I ride an Enduro at the moment..but I was on a Sportbike for awhile...
The Sportbike was actually easier to handle clutch and throttle wise than my enduro....especially at parking lot speeds...

Any other situation..all bets were off...

As long as a bike FEELS light and small..its a good beginners bike(So long as poweris predicatable and SMOOTH)..oh yeah and you have to be ok with it if it falls over..it WILL happen..lol

Old 12-13-2007, 10:01 PM
twisty571
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: espacef1fan

Yeah I ride an Enduro at the moment..but I was on a Sportbike for awhile...
The Sportbike was actually easier to handle clutch and throttle wise than my enduro....especially at parking lot speeds...

Any other situation..all bets were off...

As long as a bike FEELS light and small..its a good beginners bike(So long as poweris predicatable and SMOOTH)..oh yeah and you have to be ok with it if it falls over..it WILL happen..lol

lol no doubt,I just got rid of my RM250,don't go off roading much anymore[8D]

Old 12-13-2007, 10:02 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It was a long time secret from me. I'm sure glad I bought my 1200 C a over a year ago. What a turn on!!

Old 12-13-2007, 10:11 PM
Batley
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel a sportster is what makes a motorcycle a "motorcycle".
Raw, pure, yet simple and bad. You can make it what you want. Throw a few bags, and a seat on it for a longer ride or keep it bare bones for a badass cruise in town or a country road with curves.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:23 PM
dano1200R
Cruiser

you're absolutely correct. the higher center of gravity of the sporty can make it more difficult for a new rider.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:24 PM
dano1200R
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: YodaddyKeith

Harley don't make a "starter" bike. Anyone who thinks they do is sittin themself up for road rash first time they fork a Sporty and get aggressive with it. Sportys are a full-grip,knee-clampinhandfull for even experienced riders when/if they get brave enuff to really challenge one.

I've got both, and I have the most respect for the Sporty.....No, actually I have the most respect for anyone who can hang on to it when wrung out.....When it comes to baggerstho,I respect most those who can ride one really slow and twisty.
was referring to this.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:27 PM
espacef1fan
Cruiser

"badass cruise"? lol..sorry i'm on pain meds..and it jsut struck me as funny...

I agree with ya Batley...The Sporty is an example of a "pure" motorcycle...

No frills...everything you see has a function..and the bike is OK at everything at a minimum,....not a racer, not a gold-couch, not a dirtbike...but it'll do anything you want as lnog as you have some skill and patience..and a little determination....

Oh yeah..doesnt hurt that the Sporty has some Retro style to it...much like the new bonnevilles and scramblers from triumph.

Quick Reply: Sportster,what a BLAST