Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats a long ride on a sportster?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 07:09 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts
Default RE: Whats a long ride on a sportster?

HI wedwards..
With the stock seat, I cant go more then 100 miles, but with a Sundowner or a Mustang seat,I can just keep on going. Most of my rides with my friends are around 100 up to 300 miles a day.
On weekend trips 500-800 miles over 2-3 days I put on my Windshield and Saddlebags. As you can see from this thread, your Custom is good for a lot of miles and long trips, just make sure your comfortable on it.
Be safe and have fun...

whaap, '73' that, is cool...

Old 12-12-2007, 07:16 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: wedwards

The seat is standard, and to me I feel like I can ride and ride and ride.....but from others' experience, is there such a thing as a trip that might be questionable to make on a sportster based on the distance one intended to travel? My dad lives about 2000kms away from me on the top end of australia, and I feel like I could ride there no probs,
Thanks in advance.
You answered your own question. You can ride as far as your butt will take it. Us old guys go for a more comfortable seat, some young guys have an iron butt and can ride 500 miles in a day.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:43 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm looking forward to my longest ride yet on my Nightster, this coming May .. going from Massachusetts down to Myrtle Beach. We're going to do it in 2 days going down. I will be buying a detachable windshield, as I have found on longer trips, I don't do so well without one, and so I'll have to do with the stock seat because I can't afford both. So far I have had no problems with my stock seat, but the longest straight stretch I've done on it is only a little over 200 miles, with just a quick gas stop along the way.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dorkman

ORIGINAL: wedwards

The seat is standard, and to me I feel like I can ride and ride and ride.....but from others' experience, is there such a thing as a trip that might be questionable to make on a sportster based on the distance one intended to travel? My dad lives about 2000kms away from me on the top end of australia, and I feel like I could ride there no probs,
Thanks in advance.
You answered your own question. You can ride as far as your butt will take it. Us old guys go for a more comfortable seat, some young guys have an iron butt and can ride 500 miles in a day.

500 a day is my max with the sundowner seat.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:32 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Alittle over 1000 miles in 18 hours was the longest 1 day ride.we went from Portsmouth Virginia to Savannah Georgia and back this past May.
Longest multiple day trip was 1750 miles in 4 days this past June. We went from portsmouth Va to Atlanta Ga then to Birmingham Alabama and back to Atlanta then on to Myrtle Beach SC and back to Portsmouth.
I had a Mustnag seat on it for both trips and my butt was fine, the windshield was a definate plus too although it looked like ***.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:41 PM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: capttawes

One of the members here Dale Franks took his on an 11,000 mile ride from PA to Alaska in about a month. All depends on the rider, the seat and other functional necessities.
I agree that it all depends on the rider... If you believe you can ride that distance with no issues... Odds are that you can.... One of my customers rode his 883L from Idaho to Pennsylvania and back in a weeks' time... The guy looks like your average businessman... When he returned and I asked him how the trip was, he replied: "It was awesome man!" He's a steely eyed missile man and a part time Rockstar [8D]

Old 12-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Stefan
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

2002 XLH883

Longest ride. 600 miles, 12 hours. Portsmouth, NH to Slippery Rock, PA. Rested for a day and went back. I've done that twice.

I have yet to ride the Iron Butt 1000 with the sportster. 1000 miles in 24 hours. I've done it with a Honda Shadow750ACE.

If you are accustomed to rides of 400 miles (8 hours) then doing long rides is not a problem. If you have not ridden for a month and jump on your *** my remind you that you are not accustomed to sitting for that long.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:10 PM
SikRyd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on the rider and how bad you want to get where you are going.
My buddies and I went to Myrtle Beach from Central N.D. this May. It was 5,000 miles round trip in 2 weeks. We got there in about 5 days due to some troubles with 2 of the bikes, so my buddy and I rode while they trailered a couple days later. On the way home my buddy wanted to get there, so we did 2400 miles in 2.5 days. It was fun and boy we saw a lot of sunrise and sunsets! From 5am to 8-10pm everynight. A different kind of journey.
I did 12,000 miles this year from different trips to Yosemite, Red Lodge, Beartooth pass (chilly at 12,000ft), Billings in 110heat, Sturgis (airbed died first night - had to stay overnight at a farmers hunting cabin in lemmon, sd after almost dying from a bee sting!), Easy Rider bike show - Chillicothe, Ohio (craziest rally out there bar none!!!)Tennesse HOG rally (Bike show-good excuse to go for a trip), Deals Gap - Tail of the Dragon(wore down my pegs and sides of my boots!), Pigeon Forge(met some cool guy that invited the wife and I to his log cabin-crazy trip), Chicago(beatiful place to cruise downtown at night)...ect.
I think alot depends on finances and families too. Thankfully I have an understanding wife of 13 years and no kids yet (trying).

The best part isn't the amount of miles you put on the odometer...it's the memories you make while your there...

Old 12-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Batley
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Set the bike up with a good seat and depending on how you feel on the bike you can go all day.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:09 AM
sgt joseph
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: whaap

When I bought my 05 1200 C it was 1700 miles away in Cookeville, Tn. Two of the days coming back to Tucson were 10 hour days. I had no problem with the stock saddle and infact it's still on my bike. I'm 73 years old. I don't understand why people think they would have a problem traveling with a Sportster !!
Hey whaap i am curious, how many miles do you think you have logged on motorcycles over your life time ? Just a rough estimate ?

Quick Reply: Whats a long ride on a sportster?