Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats a long ride on a sportster?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 11:19 AM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Whats a long ride on a sportster?

i just did 160 on sunday, my longest ride on the sporty so far. the bike loved it! me...not so much..

when you strap that bag onto the bike, put it behind you and make it into a backrest.. i wish i did.

i windsheild would be nice unless you got a really strong neck.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Solo I've done 350 miles in a day with out an issue on the stock seat. 2 up for 270 miles... with stops.... was hell.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:45 AM
gmerr2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've yet to find out how far was too far....I've rolled 10 hours from Wilmington NC to Chattanooga TN.....and from Chattanooga TN to Jackson MS to Vicksburg MS and back in a couple days....comfortable easy ride with a cool ride around the Vicksburg battlefield. =-) In the spring I'm probably rolling from 'Nooga to Syracuse and back to get my boy. =-)

Rev. George.....Chattanooga, Tn

Old 12-12-2007, 01:21 PM
valveguide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done 16 hours , stopping for gas only.

The only problem really was that I could not blink my eyelids.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:23 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the stock seat on mine is quite comfortable as well. I've done a 4 hour straight stint so far with no problems.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:51 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I've pulled many 400+ mile runs on my 1200C, and the stock seat is just fine.

People ride 800+ mile days, from South American to the Artic Circle on their 'dual sport' KLR650's, and most never complain.

Sportsters ride and handle like a luxury car compared to many bikes some take on round the world tours.

Any bike can handle as manymiles you want to travel.

It's the person sitting on a bike, and the amount of comfort they require that is the limiting factor, not the bike itself.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:30 PM
1200babe
Tourer

With my shaved down Corbin hollywood solo seat I have done 6500 miles in 16 days or about 450 miles per day and been fine iwth it. Just depends on what your butt can handle.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:32 PM
tplyons
Tourer

Sore back, but a few hundred miles in a day isn't too bad.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Far 3ast
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a superglide not a sportster, but I think I can make my point anyway. I bought used and the bike came with a sundowner touring seat, and a badlander seat. Since then I added a Mustang wide solo seat to the mix. With the Badlander my *** is killin' me after about 40 miles. The Sundowner is good for about 200 (and then my chronic backpain kicks in, not the seat's fault). The Mustang has the optional backrest, and I've done 400 mile days on it and could have went longer. Bottom line is any bike can do long miles, you just have to have it set up right to suit you.

On a related note, a Sportster placed in the top 3 in the Iron Butt Rally this year, doing over 11,000 miles in 11 days.

http://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2007.cfm?DocID=43

Old 12-12-2007, 05:15 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

83,000 miles? Some folks need a bagger or thier candyarse gets a blister, then there are the riders. Thats not said in jest, hence no emoticon...
http://www.davebarr.com/
ORIGINAL: wedwards

Hi, I am new here and have just picked up an 08 custom a few weeks ago. This is my first harley and i have to say I am impressed having come from learning on a yamahahahahahaha xvs250. Comments from this forum are basically what helped me decide to go with the custom, rather than a bigger bike (I love the lines and styling better than the bigger bikes). The seat is standard, and to me I feel like I can ride and ride and ride.....but from others' experience, is there such a thing as a trip that might be questionable to make on a sportster based on the distance one intended to travel? My dad lives about 2000kms away from me on the top end of australia, and I feel like I could ride there no probs, but would be interested to hear from anyone who has done such a ride and what dramas they faced in doing so. I dont have bags or anything, and would probably just take a fairly largeish weatherproof satchel type bag that would carry my crap and a few changes of clothes. I dont care about racking up distance on the bike as I intend to keep it and buy a bigger tourer when I have space for it, but just interested on the many and varied views of people here.

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Whats a long ride on a sportster?