Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight blub replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 12:05 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Headlight blub replacement

My low beam filiment burned out last night. I went with the stealer replacement the first time it burned out, and that seemed to be the typical routinue from the dealer. Overpriced, marginal quality. I'm looking for suggestions for a replacement blub, other than just the bulb from the stealer.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:13 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Headlight blub replacement

I like Sylvania Silver Stars. You can get them at any autoparts store. Any H4 bulbs will work. Some guys will tell you that you have to get a motorcycle" bulb due to vibes or they won't last. I have never found that to be true. I have ran regular H4 bulbs in my Ironhead for nearly 20 years and have never had to replace one.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:14 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Sylvania silverstar h4st. They don't last as long but are a lot brighter. About $20 each. I'd rather be seen by all the cages anyday.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:39 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks guys. The HD blubs don't seem to last either. This will be the second one replaced since I bought the bike new 19 months ago.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Booey424
Grand HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a replacement on ebay.I got 2 bulbs for cheaper then 1 from the dealer.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:01 PM
sugaree23663
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use PIAA's in my Sporty.Expensive, but nice bright, white light. I use them in the car too. But then I get things cheap because I run an auto parts store.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:50 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

Thanks guys. The HD blubs don't seem to last either. This will be the second one replaced since I bought the bike new 19 months ago.
Something ain't right. My original in my Twin Cam had 60+k miles on it when I swapped it. I've never had one burn out in my Ironhead, either, and I've owned it for 15 years.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:19 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

Something ain't right. My original in my Twin Cam had 60+k miles on it when I swapped it. I've never had one burn out in my Ironhead, either, and I've owned it for 15 years.
Normally I would tend to agree. But, the first bulb was obviously crap from the factory. The high bean went out on it at about 2,000 miles (stealership said that was "normal wear and tear"). I said second blub replacement in 19 months, but I didn't mention that was 29,000 miles. I also have the garage door opener that uses the high/low switch to operate. I'm sure that all of those flips from high to low beam to get the garage door to open/close contributes to this issue.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:07 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

I triedthe Silverstar bulbs for 6 months and I loved the extra bright light over the stock bulb. But, in the six months (7,000 miles) I burned out 3 of them. Each bulb went right at 2 months and then blew the highbeam element. I do however always run the highbeam during the daytime. The highbeam element legs in the Silverstar bulb are quite long and I suspect that that makes them suseptable to vibration damage under heavy usage.

If you are counting amps on your bike, like for powering heated clothing, the Silverstar has another disadvantage. The stock bulb draws about 60 watts on highbeam, the Silverstar draws about 100 watts.

I solved the problem by switching to a PIAA Xtreme White bulb. It has the same bright light as the Silverstar but draws the power of a stock bulb. Also, unlike some of the other H4 bulbs that claim a vibration rating, the PIAAbulbs come in both standard & vibration rated units and are listed under different part numbers. These bulbs also run much cooler because of the lower power draw.

The only downside to the PIAA is the cost. A single PIAA runs about $49 or a 2 pack for $75. ( I found a MC friend and split a 2 pack). That compares to about $20 for the Silverstar, but with Silverstars blowing every 2 months, the PIAA's are cheaper for me in the long run.

The PIAA's can be hard to find in local auto stores. I ordered my online. Just do a Goole search for "PIAA H4xtreme vibration".

More PIAA info here: http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products...?Item=PIA-BULB

Old 12-10-2007, 05:27 PM
ryback
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pretty much had the same experience as cHarley. My Silverstar lasted 3 months. I liked the extra brightness at night but not having to replace it after 3 months. I went to the PIAA Xtreme White bulb 18 months ago and will never go back. Twice the light as as astock H4 bulb for no more amps.

If you ride at night, go with a PIAA.

Quick Reply: Headlight blub replacement