Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for UK members regarding helmets

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 07:15 PM
Pitts2112
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question for UK members regarding helmets

when I was buying my helmet this summer, I was advised by an experienced biker mate NOT to buy one in the States (for half the price) because of the DOT/EC thing. I think Customs won't have much of a say in anything if you get a problem.

Any problems you're likely to have are going to come from either of two sources, I reckon:

1. The cops. They'll write you up if they don't believe it complies (low threat, I would guess)
2. The insurance company. They won't pay a claim if you were wearing a non-EC helmet.

As long as both of them agree (and get it in writing), the the DOT spec meets EC standards, then you'll be covered. I would guess anything else is likely to be a case of one UK government agency not talking to another one and you'll be stuck in the middle trying to make the case.

For me, for the sake of a £250 helmet, it wasn't worth any future hassle, but if there is something written somewhere that DOT=EC2205, then I'll buy my next helmet in the US (for half the price!)

Not helpful, I know, but my .02 worth.

Shawn

Old 12-09-2007, 05:06 AM
raym87
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pitts2112 wrote.......As long as both of them agree (and get it in writing), the the DOT spec meets EC standards, then you'll be covered. I would guess anything else is likely to be a case of one UK government agency not talking to another one and you'll be stuck in the middle trying to make the case.

I think that the problem lies here....How many times do we hear about conflicting government agencies not being able to make up their own minds.

SimonUK wrote....The problem with your interpretation of the requirementsis that you are quoting from a simplified general information page on a website, not from the legislation itself.

I think you are right..BUT I have trawled the net for weeks and can not find anything more definitive than the DSA site. How the hell are we supposed to be able to get the information we need to be able to make a good decision.

Lets just drop this in for the fun of it.............maybe you watch some of the holiday programs on the tv....how many times have you seen someone on the continent wearing a shorty helmet. I am sure that they must be able to use them simply because of the numbers that you see. Back to the law again which states that if a helmet is authorised for use in a EU member state than it is OK to use in the UK. Once again though I can not find out any info on the net.........

Dont know if I will get into trouble for this but check this out on Fleabay....110201597678.
That helmet meets current standards and is legal to wear on UK roads........although I wouldnt want to...... check this link if you are in doubt
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehi...dgo4563?page=2

Old 12-12-2007, 02:32 PM
Blackhawk
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was browsing through the Harley Davidson Motorclothes catalogueand I noticed that all their helmets had an "EC" code against them whichaccording to their specare EC 2205 Approved. I guess for HD there's no point in producing helmets for one market, you may as well make sure they comply in all markets.