Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New pipes scraping ground-Help this Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 10:51 AM
fasthorse
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New pipes scraping ground-Help this Newbie

I recently had a set of Samson Big Gun 3, Street Sweepersinstalled on my "07" 1200 custom. They were installed by a professional motorcyclemechanic.

My issue is that I turned right, kind of tight on a slightly, very slightly mind you uphill grade and heard the bottom pipe scrape on the road very slightly on the underneath side near the turn-out of the pipe.

I don't feel that I laid the bike over too far on the turn. You can't see any mark or hardly even feel where it rubbed the ground.

I know the pipes are installed correctly. Does anybody have any experience with this issue. I'm unsure ifIlay it over on a turnany tighter will it rub even more? Any comments or experience with these pipes would be most helpful.

By the way, I love how they look and sound.

Please help,
fasthorse

Old 12-01-2007, 11:41 AM
hogsport
Road Master
Default RE: Staggered exhaust pipe help question

Don't know about your Street Sweepers (except they do look nice)
My V&H Short Shots are the first thing to scrape on my right side. Haven't noticed it since adding the Prog 412 and front springs which raised the bike 3/4 t 1" (slightly more lean angle?). I think the better (Heavy Duty) springs also helped in turns by reducing compression from centrifugal force? I am sure others may weigh in with better info here. BTW I am 225# before I add the gear.

I have noticed I need to be mindful of reverse banked turns (turning left off a downsloping road of right onto upsloping road of left onto a highly crowned road). I guess thelean we need to turn does not care aboutgrade of the road, so the only option is to slooow down.

No one is going to look at the bottom of your pipes anyway

Old 12-01-2007, 12:06 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

I occasionally scrape my lower pipe when riding agressively on the twisties. Fortunately my pipe tips are replaceable so I don't worry about it much.

[IMG]local://upfiles/25013/A413255FB47D43AEB40865896E8ACC6C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I scraped my Bassani pipes a few times, but then i do tend to ride just a bit agressivly. To answer your question, no problem unless you don't want a scratch on your scoot. i'm familiar with those pipes and yes, they will scrape in a turn. You just need to be mindfull of that fact. Question, has your scoot been lowered? That will make them more susecptable to scraping.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:15 PM
fasthorse
Cruiser

Question, has your scoot been lowered? That will make them more susecptable to scraping.
It's never had the rear shocks lowered. That's why it freaked me out a bit. Like I said, it was very slight and on aslight upgrade. It has been icey where I live so I can't ride right now to see if its going to continue to do it. Just thought you good people might have some knowledge regarding this.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:13 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Those pipes do hang a bit low, especially with the down turn on the end. I've seen the lower pipe bent half way shut from being scraped on the road on some sportys that had them.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Elvis Nixon
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dragging my pipes is something I don't have to worry about anymore...[sm=escape.gif]

Old 12-02-2007, 07:57 AM
fasthorse
Cruiser
Default Samson BG3 Street Sweepers exhaust???

Somebody please help with this question cause I spent alot of money putting these babies on. Does anybody have these on their 1200 custom sporty?

Those pipes do hang a bit low, especially with the down turn on the end. I've seen the lower pipe bent half way shut from being scraped on the road on some sportys that had them.
If the lower pipe was bent half way shut, don't you think it may have been dropped? Just wondering.
Thanks for any comments.
fasthorse

Old 12-02-2007, 06:48 PM
fasthorse
Cruiser
Default RE: New pipes scraping ground-Help this Newbie

Will setting the pre-load higher on the rear shocks help prevent your pipes from dragging? [align=right]
[/align]

Old 12-02-2007, 06:57 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: New pipes scraping ground-Help this Newbie

ORIGINAL: fasthorse

Will setting the pre-load higher on the rear shocks help prevent your pipes from dragging? [align=right]
[/align]
Higher preload will keep the shocks from compressing as much when cornering hard and may keep you from dragging pipes but the ride will suck unless you're heavy and need a more firmer preload. Stock shocks are rough anyway and most of us have changed them for a better ride, taller or shorter shocks and such. Taller shocks will certainly keep you from dragging
I'm pretty mindful when cornering as I have 11.5" shocks but I still scrape stuff left and right unless I increase preload so for a better ride and more clearance I'm probably moving to 12.5" shocks. When your pipes are low on an already low bike with 4.5" or lessclearance depending upon your wgt. and shock preload there's no majic fix.

Quick Reply: New pipes scraping ground-Help this Newbie