Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Ride a Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 12:04 AM
Dale Franks
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why Ride a Harley?

I see a lot of people in the various HD forums making a lot of complaints about their bikes. Now, some complaints are good ones. "I just got a new bike, and the farble shaft was incorrectly aligned," or "I was just riding down the road, and my transverse shim bearing snapped," or "I just noticed spots of hydraulic fluid on the floor of my garage." Those are good complaints because they relate to the quality of the machine. As consumers, we have the right to demand that Harley manufactures a quality product. To make those complaints, are to judge the Harley on its own merits.

But I've noticed several complaints about the various Harleys in relation to other bikes. "My Aprilia was so much faster." "My BMW steers much better." "My Gold Wing was so much smoother." "My Vulcan had way more torque." That, I think, is a different kind of complaint.

Because if those are your complaints, I have to wonder why you would buy a Harley in the first place. Maybe it just isn't the bike for you.

Harley attempts to do one thing and do it well. They make cruising motorcycles and touring motorcycles. That's it. They don't have the biggest engines, the highest speed, or the most torque. They aren't designed to be high-performance speedsters, and they aren't mean to be smooth or tame or ultra-quiet. They are intended to be--and are--the personification of motorcycle cruising.

That's a different style of riding. It's not about aggressive maneuvering, or fantastic speeds. It's about the freedom of hitting the open road, feeling the sun on your back and the wind in your face. Hearing the basso profundo throbbing of the pipes, and feeling the throb of that V-twin between your knees. You don't have to scrape the pegs at every corner, of blast through every sweeper with a hard turn of the thottle. Oh, sure, you can do those things--and often do--but it isn't esssential to the ride. Because for a cruiser, the ride's the thing. It's the journey itself that matters.

Second, the Harley is simply beautiful. There's a reason why the Boulevard, and the Stars, and the Vulcans look the way they do. It's because they take their styling cues from Harley-Davidson. The Harley is the standard for the cruiser look. When Squarejohn Citizen thinks about motorcycles, he thinks of Harley-Davidson. The Harley is a work of art, visually. It retains a classic look that speaks to you in a way that the copies don't. You can stick a batwing fairing on a Midnight Venture but it just doesn't look the same.

Finally, when you buy a Harley, you are buying something more than just a mototrcycle. You are buying into a mystique; a tradition. You are buying into a style of motorcycle--and motorcycling--that is different. The Harley speaks to a life-style of independence, freedom, and yes, rebellion, that others may try to copy, but can never quite duplicate. To own a Harley-Davidson is to participate in a particluar life-style and culture, even if only at the periphery. It carries an aura of danger-whether that's individually true or not of the rider--that other bikes don't. No one's clutching his wife a little closer, or getting that nervous feeling in the pit of his stomach when group of BMW riders pull into the parking lot.

If you want the quiet, smooth, "I can hardly tell it's running" feeling, then get a Gold Wing. If you need to just tear up the streets at all times, get a Speed Triple. Thre's nothing wrong with a Boulevard or V-Star. They're great bikes. Lots of people love them. And if that's what you want, you should get it. There's nothing wrong with getting what you want. No one should put you down for it, or disdain riding with you.

But if you get a Harley, judge it on its own terms,

The following users liked this post:
El Kanemi (12-07-2019)
Old 11-29-2007, 12:29 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Why Ride a Harley?

Simple answer...

During the past 10 or so years Harley's have becomethe ultimate 'must have, fashion statement'.

Numerous people purchase a Harley for that reason alone, even if they prefer other makes and bad mouth Harley at every opportunity.

Not long ago most looked down at Harley's and didn't want to have anything to do with them.

Now many people want them for no other reason than to 'play the part' and slip intoa fantasyweekend warrior role.

Now

Old 11-29-2007, 12:32 AM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought my bike cause it fits me.

If a Honda or a Yahama made a bike that fit I would have bought one of those.

but they dont.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:37 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The best answer.............

http://bigbearbikers.com/bbhr/reasons.html

Old 11-29-2007, 12:48 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Well said Dale. The right tool for the right job so to speak...

Old 11-29-2007, 12:52 AM
schumacher
Club Member

I had the right tool before I bought a harley anu...
[8D]

Old 11-29-2007, 12:54 AM
Nick
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TUNDRA_schumacher

The best answer.............

http://bigbearbikers.com/bbhr/reasons.html
That was good, thanks

Old 11-29-2007, 12:59 AM
SteveInCA
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my Harley because it's a Harley. I've owned Aprilias, CBR's, Suzuki sport bikes. There's nothing like a Harley. I view all the Blvds/VStars/Goldwings as wanna be Harleys. Once i decided i wanted a non sport bike i looked at no other option than a Harley. The rumble of the motor, the styling..there's just nothing like it.

Whenever i see someone riding a japanese/metric cruiser I always ask myself "why did they buy that?" Not saying i'm any better than the next guy, it's just a natural subconscious reaction.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:24 AM
schumacher
Club Member

Yanno...if u guys feel u have to explain it....yer missing the point
I have wanted a Harley since I saw them on the dealership floor with cake pans under them to catch the leaks.....lol

and hence, i bought the xlcr the owner was basically giving away. No one wanted the museum piece..........lol
hard to fathom now.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:49 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My dad put me on my first bike... yeah....eeer a Honda....

I wanted a car... I got a bike...

But since that time its been all Harley and yes even through the AMF years...

Never thought much about leaks or other complaints people have made over the years...

I usually ride until I start working on them more than riding... then I get another one...

I've got over 40 years now on a Harley and never think of purchasing anythng else...

It is an American tridition... especially for me...

When I think of Harleys I think Bald Eagles, Apple Pie and America... or how she use to be anyway....

Charlie D.

Quick Reply: Why Ride a Harley?