Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jiffy Stand question on XLH and Hugger

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Doug45601
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jiffy Stand question on XLH and Hugger

Bought a used 99 XLH 883... Just your standard XLH as indicated by the VIN# with the CAM in it.. The bike was lowered with little chrome rear shock that were 11 inches between upper and lower mounting holes. Also the front fork tubeswere lowered by about an inch. This of course made the bike set real low.

I'm not much into the low ride so I installed stock shocks that were 13 inches between the mounting bolts and re-adjusted the fork tubes back to the stock position.

My question now concerns the really low lean the bike has when on the jiffy stand. Does anyone know if Harley has more then one jiffy stand size for their Sportsters? In other words, is the "Hugger" equiped with a shorter stand then on the standard XLH ?

I don't have a parts manual or I would check it myself so if anyone has a Hugger to compare the length of there stand to a standard XLH it would be greatly appreciated.

BTW if someone need these little shocks they can have them for the cost of shipping.

Thanks for your comments

Old 11-17-2007, 10:18 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: Jiffy Stand question on XLH and Hugger

I know you can get 1" shorter Jiffys on eBay along with standard length stands.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:39 PM
Doug45601
Road Master

Thanks for your reply... I also noted that but didn't know if they were Harley stock or aftermarket.. I believe the previous own of this bike, since he lowered it with shocks and fork tube adjustments that he may have also put on a shorter Hugger style stand..... If the Hugger actually uses a shorter stand that is.

That's why I'm seeking measurements of the stands on the Hugger and Standards..

Thanks..

Old 11-18-2007, 02:09 AM
agedwards63
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Warrant Ex-Navy Cruiser sailor here perhaps this will help from the Harley Parts Catalog

Low-Suspension Fork Kit

This Low-Suspension Fork Kit will shorten an '89-'03 standard Sportster® front fork by about 2 inches. Use along with the 11.75-inch rear shocks to create the same saddle height as the Sportster® Hugger®. This kit includes components required to lower the Sportster® front end in addition to a shorter jiffy stand; '89-'93 models require the separate purchase and installation of two Slider Tubes P/N 45395-92

So yes a hugger came with a shortened kick stand probaly putting on a standard kick stand would solve your problems hope it helps

BTW,XLH is the model designation for a Hugger so I think you may have inadvertently changed it into a standard

Old 11-18-2007, 07:57 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, the hugger has a shorter kickstand than the other XL models. I know, I had to get the shorter hugger stand when I lowered mine. The "H" in XLH does not stand for hugger.The H use to stand for"Hot" and the"CH" use to stand for "California Hot". Basically, any standard sportster is an XLH.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:57 PM
agedwards63
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: WVHogRider

Yes, the hugger has a shorter kickstand than the other XL models. I know, I had to get the shorter hugger stand when I lowered mine. The "H" in XLH does not stand for hugger.The H use to stand for"Hot" and the"CH" use to stand for "California Hot". Basically, any standard sportster is an XLH.
H used to stand for hot cams in the iron heads true... what I was referring to and you are correct huggers and standards in 2003 last year of the rigid mounts both were called XLH's (now they are called XL883's) is that possibly he had a "hugger" all along and converted it back to a standard

Old 11-18-2007, 06:31 PM
Doug45601
Road Master

Just to confirm up things a little, the bike I have is not the Hugger version, It was just lowered with shocks and fork tube lowering to give it a Low-Rider feel and look... I do believe however a shorter Jiffy Stand was put on it as the stock stand may have held the bike up to straight after it was lowered..

I have sice put on the stock harley shocks and raised the fork tubes back up and now the Jiffy Stand is too short and the bike leans WAY over...

Looking at the Jiffy Stands, both stock and hugger style on ebay it does appear that they are of different lengths.

Thanks for your help guys..