Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

synthetic oil question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 11:33 AM
roadster rider
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default synthetic oil question

I'm ready for my first oil change and I've heard alot about the advantages of going to synthetic oil, specifically mobil 1. I've read where operating temps are about 25 degrees cooler when using this. Has anyone switched over and how are you finding the differences? I've also heard that changing over to synthetic makes the bikes more cold blooded when warming up. Thanks, Mike

Old 12-23-2005, 12:15 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: synthetic oil question

Just did my 1000 mi service and went synth for engine - trans and primary share oil and already are synth stock.
Service explained engine will run 20-25 degrees cooler in summer. Trade off was a little increased engine noise but that lubrication improvements far surpass any concerns there.

My personal experience:
* Bike runs a lot smoother since I got it back. Have to assume that part of that is the new oil.
* Cold blooded starting problems? No more than normal. It doesn't like cold either way - its been in the low 30's at night and not topping 50 during the day lately. It just takes a while to warm up and be happy. Me too.
* Noise? Nothing noteworthy. Maybe it gets loud in the summer.
* Drawbacks? Only one I can think of is it will cost about $24 more to get oil changed.

I recommend the switch. I can't speak to one brand over another. I've seen a lot of threads debating brands and performance. The common theme is that any MC synthetic blend is a better performer than petroleum-based oil.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:33 PM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you change your oil regularly, sinthie or Barney oil will do the job - this always cracks me up - IF you maintain the bike, any oerl will do. GOing to go 10,000-12,000 miles between oil changes? - if not, then go with Barney oil and buy us a beer

Old 12-23-2005, 12:35 PM
LordVngr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Amsoil 20w50 in my 2005 1200R in both the crankcase and tranny and so far no real issues that I know of. Bike seems to shift better then with the standard harley oil. I made the switch at about 1200 miles I guess. Amsoil Or Mobil 1 and you cant go wrong. Those would be the Only 2 Synthetics I would recommend.

LV

Old 12-23-2005, 01:03 PM
Tim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use Amsoil 20w50. I change it every 5k or 6 months. I noticed a 10 degree drop in overall operating temps. I haven't been brave enough to use in my tranny yet, but love it in the crankcase. Tim

Old 12-23-2005, 01:16 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I went from Dino to Mobile 1 20/50 Syn in my 2005 EG Classic. I did not notice any difference in sound, smoothness, or temp. Maybe it was just me.

I plan to go back to the dino. I change my oil every 2,500 miles so I don't worry about breakdown. I often change on the road if that is when the change comes due, and I have found that HD dino is easier to find, and cheaper than Mobile 1 Syn.

I have nothing against the Syn. oils, I just don't feel that I need the extra expense and the aggeravation of being sure I can find the Mobile 1 on the road.

Just an opinion. Use what fits with you comfort level and maintainance schedule.

Regards,

Bill

Old 12-23-2005, 02:02 PM
1200c
Road Warrior

Biggest benefit on an air-cooled engine is that it can protect up to 300degrees while dino oil protects up to 250 degrees. The twin cam engines run on the hot side especially the balanced motors and that's where the biggest benefit comes from (they run real damn close to 250 degrees). Good idea if you live in a very hot climate and don't want an oil cooler. The other big benefit is laziness. You can go twice or triple as long between an oil change. If you do that, then you aren't really paying much more for synthetic oil as the change interval is twice or triple times as long.

On a new bike it will help you discover any problem you have with seals as well. Synthetic oil is polarized; it has a negative end chain while steel has a postive end chain. Due to that fact the oil wants to stick through metal and if you have a bad seal will actually migrate through it to get to the metal. Good on a brand new engine where you still have the warranty and they are responsible to fix it. Bad on an old engine where you will have to replace all the seals that start leaking that may have not with dino oil.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Old 12-23-2005, 06:27 PM
Tim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Billnourse, I've heard that once you use synthetic if you go back the engine will leak. Not really sure if it is fact or fiction, but I'd check on it. Tim

Old 12-23-2005, 08:33 PM
1200c
Road Warrior

I've heard that once you use synthetic if you go back the engine will leak. Not really sure if it is fact or fiction, but I'd check on it.
That has to do with synthetic oil being polarized and attracted to metal so it will migrate through bad seals. Yes, synthethic is more likely to leak through BAD seals and only BAD seals. It will not leak through good seals.

Old 12-23-2005, 11:03 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just had my bike in for its 1000 mile service and I wanted to switch over to synthetic. The service techs there told me I could but they would wait until at least 2500 miles. They said the seals, bearings, rings, etc still have not fully seated and that the engine is not fully broken in. There take on it was that synthetic is so darn slippery and doesn't allow for the proper expansion of the rings, etc. I have read different views on this on this forum and I have read posts that claim the same thing as these service techs. I've also read about many people dumping the synthetic oil on the bikes Harley ships them with and replacing it with conventional until they are fully broken in.

Harley claims its ok to use synthetic right out of the box. I'm not sure what's best but I stuck with the conventional stuff since it's cool here anyway in the winter and I wont be running as hot. I figured in the spring when I have more miles, I'd make the switch to synthetic. In my 2002 Trans Am WS6, I have always used Mobile 1 synthetic right out of the box and the car runs great. Im sure auto engines require a similar break in as our bikes do.

Also, I've read that even though synthetic oils can last longer without suffering from viscosity break down, it's still wise to change the oil every 3 or 4000 miles. The claims are, the engines still get small particles in them that can cause damage whether it's synthetic oil or not. The 5000 mile oil changes are supposedly just for the viscosity break down which is a true claim. I read this in Motor Trend a year or two ago, so it was from a reputable source.

I guess the best bet is to keep clean oil and a filter in your rides regardless of whether its synthetic or not and you should be problem free.....

PS..I do a lot of reading...lol....Im an engineer

Quick Reply: synthetic oil question