Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

synthetic oil question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 10:41 AM
Slumpys1200c
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: synthetic oil question

Amsoil, Mobil 1 or HD syn oil. Okay, let's really rock the boat. Which one is best or they pretty much all the same?
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

!!! RIDE SAFE !!!

Keith in Pa. (and stuck at work today)
05 1200 custom "Lava"

Old 12-24-2005, 04:15 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From what I've read, Amsoil is supposed to be the best. It's the hardest to find but it's a true synthetic. My brother has been using it for years in his cars and many race car teams use Amsoil also. The techs at my HD dealership all say Amsoil is the best stuff. Mobile 1 is a really good alternative and that's what I use in my cars since it's a little easier to find than Amsoil. Plan on using it in my bike as well once I switch over to synthetic.

Old 12-24-2005, 05:22 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Looking at it in a different light, Mobil doesn't do half the advertising that amsoil does and doesn't try to push the product on you. The product sells itself and leaves no foul taste in your mouth either

If you do a search on synthetics, all you come up with for the most part is those damn amsoil bottles plastered all over the place.

Old 12-25-2005, 01:34 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The only major advertising I know that Mobil 1 does is on the # 12 Nextel Cup car driven by Ryan Newman. They are the primary sponsors along with Sony who is an associate sponser. Guess that 10 million or so they pay a year for their rolling billboard in front of millions of people is enough for them...lol.

Old 12-26-2005, 11:00 PM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1200c
Biggest benefit on an air-cooled engine is that it can protect up to 300degrees while dino oil protects up to 250 degrees. The twin cam engines run on the hot side especially the balanced motors and that's where the biggest benefit comes from (they run real damn close to 250 degrees). Good idea if you live in a very hot climate and don't want an oil cooler. The other big benefit is laziness. You can go twice or triple as long between an oil change. If you do that, then you aren't really paying much more for synthetic oil as the change interval is twice or triple times as long.

On a new bike it will help you discover any problem you have with seals as well. Synthetic oil is polarized; it has a negative end chain while steel has a postive end chain. Due to that fact the oil wants to stick through metal and if you have a bad seal will actually migrate through it to get to the metal. Good on a brand new engine where you still have the warranty and they are responsible to fix it. Bad on an old engine where you will have to replace all the seals that start leaking that may have not with dino oil.

I hope this helps somewhat.
till now, never considered syntetic's as I had a Brand new'86 Toyota basic model pickup truck and when I finally sent her on to other drivers, I had over 500,000 Extremly rough miles into her - all with Valvoline - but religously changed.

The temperature protection has me considering synthetics now - but with only a couple hundred miles on her and this god forsaken snow keeping me staring out the window - I guess I'll have time to ponder the decision.

Old 12-29-2005, 12:32 AM
vette5050
Advanced

I run Mobil 1 in my 03 Vette. I usually change it when the monitor tells me too (or slightly sooner)....Anyway, I've gone to almost 10K on an oil change before. I figure if it's good enough for GM to warranty the motor with that stuff in it.....and for that long.......it's probably OK because as many of you probably have found out thru the years......The General ain't in the habit of fixing something they absolutely don't have to!

I'm going to Mobil 1 this summer and I ride my 1200 R "fairly" aggressively!

Old 12-29-2005, 11:00 AM
LOTHAR
Cruiser

I went all synthetic at my 1000 mile checkup. I have an oil temp dipstick and noticed about a 15 to 20 degree drop in oil temp. This was in 90+ degree dusty conditions driving 75 to 80 mph.

Old 12-29-2005, 12:44 PM
CntryFun
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: WarriorHD
that's what I use in my cars since it's a little easier to find than Amsoil.
Amsoil can be drop shipped to your door step for about the same price you can pick it up in a store, and if you use it in all your vehicles then I'd recommend going w/ the "dealer" program. Its $30/yr. but you get great discounts (like $3 off a quart of oil pretty much) its shipped to your house, and you can make a little money w/ it as well. That's the route I took, however I did it just for myself, and don't try to sell it. I'm in the process of putting a big order together for my brother and his friends however, and that should make me about $100 profit, and that's w/ me cutting them one heck of a deal. I could make about $250 off of it w/o a problem in the world if I really felt the need to. (keep in mind they're ordering over $1000 worth of oil and products.)

I use Amsoil cause its convenient, the warranty your motor/tranny by completely standing behind their product, if I have to I can go longer between changes because it suspends the contaminents better and keeps them from causing problems, and it reduces the temp.

Old 12-29-2005, 01:43 PM
LRonHoover
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mobil 1 V Twin 20/50 in the engine, Redline Shock Proof Heavy in the Tranny, and good ol HD Primary fluid in the primary.
Runs great, I'm happy.
I had an E-84 FXRP that I used nothing but Penzoil 20/50 in. At 88K miles, I popped the jugs off and they still had the cross hatching marks in the cylinders. I'm a 2500 mile oil changer. There is NO CHEAPER insurance.