Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Injector Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Barley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injector Tuners

It seems like there are all kinds of choices for fuel injector tuners and the price range goes from 200+ to 800+. There's Thundermax, Harley, Vance and Hines, Arlen Ness, etc... Can we get a discussion on the Pro's and Con's of each?

Old 11-12-2007, 02:41 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Injector Tuners

I can't speak for all the units. I do know that the Thunder Max, one of the most expensive, has a unique advantage in that it is capable of "auto tuning" itself. Unlike the others which require a dyno run for proper calibration, the Thunder Max does not. This can be an even bigger advantage if you plan on making changes to the motor down the road which would then again require another dyno tune as is the case with the other units. It adapts automatically to both changes to the bike and changes to the environment.

I don't have the Thunder Max, I'm carbed, but know a couple of people that do use them and they are very pleased with it's performance.

Hope that helps.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:45 PM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have heard nothing but good things about the T-Max... I would love to have the Auto Tune feature with mySERT. If you do have access to affordable dyno time (as I do) then I think the Harley SERT is probably the best for maximizing performance.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:55 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tmax and any others that 'auto tune' are going to be expensive.....very expensive

Biggest consideration with all auto tuners is they require you remain 'closed loop' which needs 02 sensors installed and working properly.

The best compromise cost and performance wise is the PCIII USB that lets you disable the 02 sensors and offers "canned" maps free of charge for most any mod you install......AND it also lends itself instantly to the dyno guy for full tweeking with or without 02 sensors installed and working properly....+ it allows full tweek for each cylinder and also access to ignition timing onHarleys without buying their separate ignition module.

The DynoJet PCIII USB is the best buy for many reasons even if you own your own dyno.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:06 PM
nevets61
Road Master
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I have heard good things about all options, but can only speak of the V&H Fuel Pak. Other than a pain in the **** to install, once installed the programming is easy. I have V&H ShortShots, open back breather and K&N high flow air filter. FuelPak came with canned program which worked beautiful as is, had dyno'd and it can't be any closer. You choice will depend on what you want to do and what your options will be, ie. pipes, air cleaner, ect.... Good Luck.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:15 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, don't forget the fuelpac is closed loop and locks you in with EPA mandated curves.....YOU CANNOT ACCESS much of the map cells on a fuelpac like you can with PCIII USB.....

Dynojet also offers their PCIII-EX for you poor guys who have to suffer sniff tests. It is like the fuelpac in that it locks you out of most cells on the map......Both are EPA compliant.

If you are subject to sniff tests and all you ever do is V&H stage 1 with SEAC then save a hundred bucks and go with the fuelpac. But if you want the freedom to try different pipes and intakes, go with the PCIII USB designed for off road use only.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:26 PM
dhc8guru
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, V&H Fuel pak is unmmappable below 3000(?) rpm. Which probably in reality below 3K it won't really matter if your only planning on doing pipes and an SE aircleaner.
Pony up fora reality check on aftermarket programmable F.I.boxes, I read an articlethat the EPA is cracking down on the manufactures to only provide products that keep bikes EPA compliant. Most manufactureswho provide fully adjustable F.I. boxes are planning on bailing outand areonly going to providecanned MAPS to comply with the EPA. I thinkV&H won't let you map below 3k rpm because itwouldnotremain EPA compliant butthe new map will not keep the bike Euro 3 compliant (not that we care riding our bikes in the US)

ORIGINAL: YodaddyKeith

Well, don't forget the fuelpac is closed loop and locks you in with EPA mandated curves.....YOU CANNOT ACCESS much of the map cells on a fuelpac like you can with PCIII USB.....

Dynojet also offers their PCIII-EX for you poor guys who have to suffer sniff tests. It is like the fuelpac in that it locks you out of most cells on the map......Both are EPA compliant.

If you are subject to sniff tests and all you ever do is V&H stage 1 with SEAC then save a hundred bucks and go with the fuelpac. But if you want the freedom to try different pipes and intakes, go with the PCIII USB designed for off road use only.