Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster "Low" for Ladies?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 10:22 PM
newrider
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster "Low" for Ladies?

Hi all - I'm new to this page..I'm getting ready to buy a Sportster because I really want a Harley... I like the "Low" model, it looks cool...but- - I just read a big article in the "Thunder Press" about the Sportster Low -- and what I get out of the article is that it was built to appeal to "Ladies"...now I'm confused about this, because I like the bike, but I'm a guy...should I not be looking at the low? I'm 5'7 and 190 pds..

Old 12-21-2005, 10:40 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Sportster "Low" for Ladies?

I am just 5,8 , get a Dyna But, Sporties are for everyone they are not just for girls...You'll just ride the sporty and before the season is out you'll just want a bigger bike.

Old 12-21-2005, 11:03 PM
harleyxlc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Woah....get a Dyna? Get a Dyna if you want one. If you want a low Sporty, get it!

Owning a Sportster is a unique experience that is in addition to the Harley experience and it has good and bad. There are those that mistakenly think that a Sportster is a girl's bike. Then there are those who know that the Sportster is an incredible bike and is not just an entry level Harley.

If you want a Sportster, get it and be proud. If you care more about what others think...well, let them make the decision for you.

No offense meant to any Dyna riders, I have ridden a 2003 Dyna many times and bottom line is any motorcycle is a blast!

Old 12-21-2005, 11:11 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: harleyxlc

No offense meant to any Dyna riders, I have ridden a 2003 Dyna many times and bottom line is any motorcycle is a blast!
No offense taken, riding any bike is a blast, I just couldn't get through an entire year on the smaller bike I had, before the Dyna I almost bought a 1200 custom, now have both and the sporty is awsome but the Dyna Hell I want a bigger bike than the Dyna now, more for huge rides, able to pack more and get a pull along camper. It just all depends on what type of riding you'll be doing.

Old 12-22-2005, 02:52 AM
TennRider
Tourer

ORIGINAL: newrider

Hi all - I'm new to this page..I'm getting ready to buy a Sportster because I really want a Harley... I like the "Low" model, it looks cool...but- - I just read a big article in the "Thunder Press" about the Sportster Low -- and what I get out of the article is that it was built to appeal to "Ladies"...now I'm confused about this, because I like the bike, but I'm a guy...should I not be looking at the low? I'm 5'7 and 190 pds..
Yo dude... I have an 05 883 Low because I like the low sleek look.
Are you more worried about your image or your manly ego ?
A bike is a bike and a Harley is a Harley !

BTW, I'm 190 @ 6'

Does this look like a Gurly bike ?

Something you might want to consider...
The seat is hard and is designed for shorter people. I resolved this by getting a sundowner, sits back further and is a softer/wider more comfortable seat. $265
The bike has center controls, I'll be replacing this with forward controls if I keep the bike this next riding season. $375 +/-
Exhaust, stock makes the bike sound like a Jap bike... SE or V&H long shots will resolve that issue in short order. $500 +/-
Engine guard is nice to hang some highway pegs on to strech out $300 +/-
Quick disconnect windshield $350

Then if you don't have any Leathers... If you got an inside track $275 for jacket and chaps to as much as $500

Buying a bike is the cheap part, its everything else that cleans ya out... lol

Old 12-22-2005, 03:14 AM
ozaiss
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know I hear that more often than you would believe even from harley sales people. That a sporty is not for the long hual, grap a bigger bike. Well I have taken my sporty on plenty of long huals (over 300 miles). I do not find that it can not perform at all I think it does a pretty good job. In this world ride what you can afford as long as you ride. I personally would like to, one day, move up to an ultra classic. That would be the day that I would perfer a full dresser versus a naked bike, the day that I take a hotel room versus camping out next to my bike.
live to ride my friend! Life is too short way too short to worry what the other guy thinks.
remember all men DIE few LIVE

Old 12-22-2005, 03:27 AM
RAJ
Tourer

Hey, I had a 05 883 Low...........and loved it. I have a 1200 Custom now, and love the extra power. I thought the 883 L was a great 1st Harley. Just make sure you want the 883, because the 1200 also comes in a Low. I also would love to have a Dyna, and I will have one in a few years, but until then I will have fun on the 1200 Custom. Good luck in whatever you get.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:33 AM
cornell
Intermediate

My girl rides a low and to tell you the truth, it's perfect for her at 5' 5" and her feet reach the ground rather well.

Old 12-22-2005, 04:11 PM
Shift_4lo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cornell

My girl rides me low and to tell you the truth, it's perfect for her at 5' 5" .
TMI j/k i had to do that

Old 12-22-2005, 04:38 PM
Iron Legend
Cruiser

It might appeal to the lady riders because it is lower to the ground, but as for myself I like 'low'. I recently bought an 883 Std. (used and good price) and will be lowering the back end of it this spring with lower shocks (Progressive probably) and am looking forward to the lower riding position. Would I like a Dyna...sure, they are nice machines no doubt, but for the type of riding I do and the extra $$$ they cost and increased insurance premium the Sporty suits me just fine and I'll put some of the extra money into goodies for my XL.

Tom

Quick Reply: Sportster "Low" for Ladies?