Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster "Low" for Ladies?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 06:16 PM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sportster "Low" for Ladies?

it was built to appeal to "Ladies"...now I'm confused about this, because I like the bike, but I'm a guy...
Didn't we just get a thread like this locked?

MAAAAAC - where RU?

Old 12-22-2005, 07:57 PM
mpemulis
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might also want to check out the new 1200 Low. My girl (sorry) just got one in black pearl and let me tell you, with all the stock chrome on it, it looks badass. She had them rotate the bars back a little bit for comfort and it really gives it a lot of style - it looks like a powerful beast with its ears pulled back, ready to fight.

It sits in our garage next to my 1200R (also in black) and I have to admit the Low looks cooler. I'm 6'2" so it's not an option for me, but other than that it's a beautiful bike. (It's also got some nice features like the larger gas tank.)

Old 12-22-2005, 08:15 PM
Tim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello newrider and welcome to the forums. I have a 1200 and am 5-10" and love it. The Sportster is to Harley as a Corvette is to Chevy. Around here I see more ladies driving Corvettes than guys do. A Harley is a Harley. Test ride one and if you like it , buy it, whether it is a Sportster, Dyna, Softtail or a Bagger. If its a Harley you can't go wrong. Merry Christmas, Tim

Old 12-22-2005, 11:43 PM
Shift_4lo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the look of the new 1200Low but i think they do get the bad rep of being a girls bike and there are some people that think every sporty is a girls bike and i have talked to people that think a v rod should be a honda everyone has there opinions so just buy on your opinion you will make the right decision.

Old 12-23-2005, 02:06 AM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I say get what you want. A lot of people are under the misconception that you will get bored with the Sporty rather quickly and want a bigger bike. Personally, I believe many do this because of an ego thing and not that the Sporty is too small or vibrates too much, etc. The new Sporty's are very very solid and ride very nice. They are also not much smaller than a Dyna and it's easy to mistake the Custom models for a Dyna. I personally have no problems with mine and for the kind of riding I do, it fits me perfect. In no way is the Sporty a "girls" bike, if there is a such a thing. I havent seen them selling in pink with flowers on them.

Seriously, if you like the low Sporty, and it feels comfortable to you, then get it. I like what Tennrider said in his post and his bike is BAD. Looks killer and it's a low. And I know for a fact those V&H pipes he's got don't sound girly. You know, there's a alot of talk about the Dyna's in this post, but personally, I feel they appeal to women more than the Sporty's do. The seem a little better balanced and less top heavy which makes them easier to ride. They also come in a low version....I wonder if thats also a marketing strategy to appeal to women...Makes ya think....Girls bike or not, I love all Harleys!

Old 12-23-2005, 02:09 AM
ecvjohn
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: newrider

what I get out of the article is that it was built to appeal to "Ladies"...

Apparantly the writer of the article is not very PC, the low sportster should appeal to all vertically challenged people not just the ladies.

I'm 6' and I like'em low also.
As others have said- get the bike YOU want, who cares what others think.

Old 12-23-2005, 08:25 AM
Tim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like the fact that I am riding a piece of history. First came out as a KR in 1952 I think, became a Sportster in 1957 and is still in production today. Sportsters have weathered the test of time and come in two engine sizes and 4 or 5 different models to suit everybody. They have been raced, chopped, bobbed, triked, you name it. You know I just thought about it, ALL Harleys are second to none! Just ride! Merry Christmas, Tim[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 01-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sportsters are top heavy compared to other models. The engine sits Higher in the frame and ground clearance is basically the same. Not very girly

Old 01-05-2006, 11:20 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We've had a couple of conversations on this forum about wether or not the sporty models should be considered as a "girls" bike. I think most of can concur that's just not the case. All Harley's are just great bikes...period! They can appeal to girls and guys and everything in between. Don't get hung up on this stuff. Life's too short. Get what your heart dictates, get out there and enjoy the ride!

Old 01-05-2006, 11:28 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Amen, bikergirl, The only reason to ever respond to this is to a newer member, as a courtesy. Damn I hate this s***. My New Years resolution has changed. It is now to be, NEVER RESPOND TO A POST ABOUT SPORTSTERS BEING GIRLS BIKES.
Tim, I absolutley love your analogy about the Sporty being the Harley Vette, great comparison.
MAC!!!!
ORIGINAL: bikergirl40

We've had a couple of conversations on this forum about wether or not the sporty models should be considered as a "girls" bike. I think most of can concur that's just not the case. All Harley's are just great bikes...period! They can appeal to girls and guys and everything in between. Don't get hung up on this stuff. Life's too short. Get what your heart dictates, get out there and enjoy the ride!

Quick Reply: Sportster "Low" for Ladies?