Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are stock exhaust/mufflers worth keeping?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 01:44 PM
SteveInCA
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are stock exhaust/mufflers worth keeping?

Hey guys,
just had some black VH short shots put on my Nightster. My stock exhaust is at the Harley dealer. It's a bit of a pain in the *** to drive out there and grab them. You think it's a bad move to just let the stock exhaust go? Meaning, not pick it up and store it. Thanks

Old 11-07-2007, 01:48 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior
Default RE: Are stock exhaust/mufflers worth keeping?

ORIGINAL: SteveInCA

Hey guys,
just had some black VH short shots put on my Nightster. My stock exhaust is at the Harley dealer. It's a bit of a pain in the *** to drive out there and grab them. You think it's a bad move to just let the stock exhaust go? Meaning, not pick it up and store it. Thanks
You know, I am buying a new set of stock mufflers for mine.I had the baffles punched out at my 5K service, and I'm now having issues with the engine just quitting. I'm not sure but it may be related. So, a guy locally said he'd sell me the mufflers and I'm going to just keep them around.

The other consideration is, if the State of Washington gets wind that other areas are getting fines for loud pipes you can bet the idiot we have as a Governor will be jumping on that. She's seen to it that we pay higher gas prices that Hawaii...GGGGRRRR.

Anyway, if that ever becomes an issue, I'll have the slip on mufflers for any emissions testing or whatever.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:56 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why wouldn't you keep them? You paid good money for them. Mine are sitting in a box in my attic. I would say you should go pick them up. If you ever get hassled about a loud exhaust or fail an inspection, you could throw your originals back on for a while. Also, the dealer could turn around and sell the parts you gave them for free and make even more profit.Plus if you ever sell your scoot, you can include the original exhaust and possibly increase the selling pricedue to all the extra/originalparts you have available. I have one of those large storage binsin the attic that has my original seats, exhaust, shocks, pegs, etc. Just my $0.02

Old 11-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

GO GET 'EM! States are beginning to clamp down on exhaust notes from bikes and you may need the stockers some day to show on your bike that the exhaust has not been altered, or worse yet, you might need them for an inspection. In NJ the cops have been made wise to loud pipes and are now giving out tickets for violating the EPA law of 1979. One friend of mine, running a 1973 Triumph Bonneville, was refused NJ State Inspection because he had megaphone pipes on his bike (and they are really not as loud as my SE II's). He's looking for a stock pair to throw on to get through our state inspection now. So, GO GET 'EM!

Old 11-07-2007, 02:26 PM
BCguy
Road Captain

They're yours. Go get 'em.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:30 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

ORIGINAL: Thumper26

GO GET 'EM! States are beginning to clamp down on exhaust notes from bikes and you may need the stockers some day to show on your bike that the exhaust has not been altered, or worse yet, you might need them for an inspection. In NJ the cops have been made wise to loud pipes and are now giving out tickets for violating the EPA law of 1979. One friend of mine, running a 1973 Triumph Bonneville, was refused NJ State Inspection because he had megaphone pipes on his bike (and they are really not as loud as my SE II's). He's looking for a stock pair to throw on to get through our state inspection now. So, GO GET 'EM!
Ditto, the stock pipes have an EPA approval stamp on them.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:25 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you sell your current ride the new owher may want the stock exhaust.

Tom

Old 11-07-2007, 06:36 PM
XLH1200
Cruiser

I would go and pick them up for sure! You just never know when you may need them or it is a good idea if you ever sell.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:49 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I would get them, you never know when you will need them.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:37 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 160 Posts

yea, hold onto them if you need to get thru a state inspection, you can sit there lookin all honest and legal and get your sticker. go home and put the ear bleeders back on.,,,,

Quick Reply: Are stock exhaust/mufflers worth keeping?