Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"No tach" is a drag for Sportsters.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 10:33 PM
bertmccarrthy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "No tach" is a drag for Sportsters.

Has anyone figured out at what speed each of the gears red-lines, since there is no tach.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:55 PM
dano1200R
Cruiser
Default RE: "No tach" is a drag for Sportsters.

if your going to ride andits a concern you should add a tach. or just get a roadster

Old 11-05-2007, 11:00 PM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You must be a "pot-stirrer" with these ridiculous posts....okay.... I'm on to you now.... So .... In answer to your most recent stir.... If you need a tach on a Harley, then you aren't listening

Old 11-05-2007, 11:04 PM
bertmccarrthy
6th Gear

Look, I totally love my new Sportster; I am just trying to get around the small number of short-comings. I do not think it is unreasonable to wonder how close I am coming to red-line. I do not care enough to add a tach, though.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:10 PM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like the new picture man!!! That one actually is an '08! [8D]

Old 11-05-2007, 11:12 PM
McNighster
5th Gear

Just shift it when your silver filling start rattling and you'll be fine. Men don't look at gauges any more than they do the instruction sheet.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:15 PM
ColonelAngus
Stage II

ORIGINAL: McNighster

Just shift it when your silver filling start rattling and you'll be fine. Men don't look at gauges any more than they do the instruction sheet.
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 11-06-2007, 01:27 AM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Learn to feel the torque band......Shift when thrust peaks, or just before.

Sportsters are designed to be ridden aggressively, so be aggressive with it.....When you do ride like like that, you ain't got time to look at a tach-your eyes need to be glued to the road and traffic and your ears bent on the pipes.

If your commute to/from work consists of a few red lights and lots of slab, then start taking the long way to/from home/work.......Stay on the back roads and side streets and drive that bitch like you stole her.....It's a sportster and she turns to stone as soon as she hit 5th gear on the super slap. She is designed to slice n dice, not fall in line.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:54 AM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turns to stone? Are you outta your mind? I dont even shift to 5th g till 80 and she will do upwards of 130...., yup a real rock... maybe you DO need a tach...the seat of yourpants may be lying to you...

as for the topic, just wind it out till you think your gonna blow it up then twist it again. If if boggs down your getting near 6.8k unless you got the coil and the module beefed up. Then you better know where it is by feel or get a tach. I know by feel. It feels literaly like its gonna shake your feet off the bike....
ORIGINAL: YodaddyKeith

Learn to feel the torque band......Shift when thrust peaks, or just before.

Sportsters are designed to be ridden aggressively, so be aggressive with it.....When you do ride like like that, you ain't got time to look at a tach-your eyes need to be glued to the road and traffic and your ears bent on the pipes.

If your commute to/from work consists of a few red lights and lots of slab, then start taking the long way to/from home/work.......Stay on the back roads and side streets and drive that bitch like you stole her.....It's a sportster and she turns to stone as soon as she hit 5th gear on the super slap. She is designed to slice n dice, not fall in line.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:53 AM
Budda
Intermediate

A tach is as important to me as the gas tank or tires. Too each his own . I have often wondered why they left them off as well. Good thing I own a roadster.

Quick Reply: "No tach" is a drag for Sportsters.