Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AHHHHHHH THUNDERMAX IS MY NEW NEMISIS!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 06:29 PM
MJStephens
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AHHHHHHH THUNDERMAX IS MY NEW NEMISIS!

I just got done CUSTOM installing my Thundermax with AutoTune. I didn't get the one made for the Sporty so my Dad and I did a nice custom install on it. Anyways, we get done and he's like "fire it up" so I go through the proper procedure to clear the module and install the closest map to my setup. Everything going fine. I switch it on to "run" and fire it........all it does is crank. Then I was like "did my fuel pump cycle on?" So I do it over.......no fuel pump. I know I'm jumping the gun by blaming it on TMax since I havent checked my fuse. But I had to come in because my girlfriend had dinner ready and I'm just about to go back out and check my fuse. I HOPE its the fuse but I have a bad feeling its going to be something else. This is the last thing I needed after a hard day at work, lol.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:44 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts
Default RE: AHHHHHHH THUNDERMAX IS MY NEW NEMISIS!

That's exactly what makes me nervous reprograming automotive computers, if it doesn't work who can you get to figure it out and more importantly, who pays?
Hope you get it figured out without too much trouble.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:57 PM
jeramy
Banned

what is it supposed to go on?

Old 11-01-2007, 07:04 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

From what I've heard, Thunder Max has great tech support people. After you recheck the obvious, give them a call. I don't understand what you mean by not getting a unit made for the Sporty though.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:11 PM
MJStephens
Tourer

Well, my EFI unit and AutoTune unit are connected to each other. From what Ive seen, basically the new one for the sportster has the AutoTune module mounted on the frame rail behind the rear cylinder while the EFI module is mounted under the seat. I have both of my mounted under my seat because I like to have the least amount of things exposed to heat or the elements as I can. But, I'm pretty sure I have a faulty ECM. All my wiring for the fuel pump is good and the fuse looks fine but it still won't cycle. I know these things happen but I'm just super bummed because these next few days are about the last nice days we're gonna have in Michigan and I really wanted to put some miles on. Ah well, maybe its time to start the winter upgrades. I'm going to call Zippers tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:29 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Have you tried undoing everything you have done since it last ran?, it's hard to believe that your ECM just happend to quit working by itselfat the same time you installed the thundermax.
I would try putting the electronics back to stock & see if it runs.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:41 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Agreed, you should be able to go back to the stock configuration, with the Thunder Max out of the circuit.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:51 PM
MJStephens
Tourer

One step ahead of you guys. I threw my stock ECM (Thundermax actually replaces the entire stock ECM) back on really quick and guess what......FUEL PUMP CYCLES ON! So yeah, its a faulty Thundermax ECM.

Ugh, well, there goes my hopes of riding anymore this year. My only hope would be if there was a dealer for TMax around here and Zippers would authorize them to trade me a new ECM.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:01 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Hey, you can always ship the bike south for the winter. Never any of that white stuff here in FL. Just an idea.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

It's the main relay loc in the t max set up. pull up t maxx on your pc(the program you installed) on the left side click map configuration, then click basic settings, you will see main relay loc on the right side ,make sure it is set at 1.

I'll bet when you check it it is set on 2. the sporty won't work that way.

I pm'ed you my cell if you have trouble call and i'll talk you threw it

Quick Reply: AHHHHHHH THUNDERMAX IS MY NEW NEMISIS!