Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle insurance/ riding responsible

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007 | 12:34 PM
dhc8guru
|
Tourer
Default Motorcycle insurance/ riding responsible

Me and some friends had an insurance conversation and came to the conclusion that rates are definitley not based on the "bike" but rather the group of riders.
Sportbike insurance (full coverage) is insane... if want to amaze yourself, do aProgressive insurance quote on anySportbike. I punched in a quotefor a Honda CBR600F2and the lowest full coverage quote I got was $2200 a year for a 38yr old malewith no accidents and no tickets and excellent credit. In comparison, the 07' Sporty is $190 a year.
I concluded that a Honda CBR is no more likely to kill me than any other bike but the difference is amajority of Sportbike riders drive stupid. Case in point on the weekends Icount an average of 15 sportbike riders,riding wheeliesat80mph inheavy traffic on the highway.Even if they survive dumping the bike, the cars behind them are going to run them over.
So I am glad that I ride a bike that puts me in the insurance categoryof responsible riders...So everyone ride safe and smart and keep my insurance low.

Old 11-01-2007 | 12:41 PM
Nightster2007
Advanced
Default RE: Motorcycle insurance/ riding responsible

This is very true. I had an 04 GSXR-1000 and the premium for a year of full coverage was 6500.00. I could have bought another bike each year with that kind of crazy money. I went with just liabilty on the GSXR and it was 1200 a year. Now on the other hand my sporty cost me 450 bucks a year full coverage. I'm glad I'm now in the resposible rider catagory now.

Old 11-01-2007 | 12:46 PM
Budda
Intermediate

You would think the cruiser crowd would have higher rates considering the 45+ rider has taken over the 20 somethings for death and injuries on motor cycles.

Lots of baby boomer out there buying bikes for the first time that the cannot handle them and get in to wrecks. Just because you can afford somethig does not mean you should buy it. I see it everyday Customer is explainig to the dealer how he just loves his full dresser and that its the first bike he has ever ridden. The dealer just smiles and cashes his big fat check. Good luck organ donor runs through my mind as I leave the store.

Old 11-01-2007 | 12:54 PM
Budda
Intermediate

I just ran your bike (gsxr 1000) though progressive here in milwaukee and it spit out $980 for a years worth of full coverage. Must depend on where you live

Old 11-01-2007 | 12:56 PM
Hdbiker1450
Road Warrior

The companies look at 2 things, the rider's age/record, and the type of bike.
This is true of auto companies as well. Quote a Vette versus a Acura Integra.
What's happening is that the sport bike is meant for one thing--speed.
So the companies generally surcharge 100-200% for those type machines.
How do I know? I sell insurance.

Old 11-01-2007 | 12:58 PM
Dale Franks
Road Captain

Must depend on where you live
Absolutely! Try a motorcycle quote for a Southern California zip code from 91XXX to 93XXX.

Old 11-01-2007 | 01:01 PM
cHarley
Club Member

ORIGINAL: Budda

You would think the cruiser crowd would have higher rates considering the 45+ rider has taken over the 20 somethings for death and injuries on motor cycles.

Lots of baby boomer out there buying bikes for the first time that the cannot handle them and get in to wrecks. Just because you can afford somethig does not mean you should buy it. I see it everyday Customer is explainig to the dealer how he just loves his full dresser and that its the first bike he has ever ridden. The dealer just smiles and cashes his big fat check. Good luck organ donor runs through my mind as I leave the store.
I don't know where you live, but seldom a week goes by here that there is not a report of a teenager/20 something on a crotch rocket that buys the farm. The cruiser rider deaths pale in comparison. Maybe maturity overcomes testosterone?

Old 11-01-2007 | 01:10 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member

I just ran your bike (gsxr 1000) though progressive here in milwaukee and it spit out $980 for a years worth of full coverage. Must depend on where you live
I agree since I am in the Milwaukee (Waukesha)area as well. I pay 300yr full coverage on the bike including a $4000 rider for accessories and extra personal injury coverage.WhenI lived in West Allis it was almost double that for the same coverage. The bike has always been insured by progressive.

Old 11-01-2007 | 01:27 PM
Budda
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: cHarley

Lots of baby boomer out there buying bikes for the first time that the cannot handle them and get in to wrecks. Just because you can afford something does not mean you should buy it. I see it everyday Customer is explaining to the dealer how he just loves his full dresser and that its the first bike he has ever ridden. The dealer just smiles and cashes his big fat check. Good luck organ donor runs through my mind as I leave the store.
I don't know where you live, but seldom a week goes by here that there is not a report of a teenager/20 something on a crotch rocket that buys the farm. The cruiser rider deaths pale in comparison. Maybe maturity overcomes testosterone?
I am sure you are correct comes down to demographics and maturity and where you live. I am sure there are 100X more sport bike riders in FL and CA then WI. Here there are more cruisers and Harley riders then sport bike riders ( so it seems) and most articles in the paper are from mature first time bike owners or old biker drunks running their **** into traffic or riding bikes they can afford but cannot handle. Take your pic.

Old 11-01-2007 | 01:29 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member

After having been without a bike for the road for a couple of years, I bought a Honda CB-750C. When I went to see my insurance broker, he rolled his eyes and said, "insurance will cost you a fortune because the rates depend on how long you've had a motorcycle license" (he tought I was in some kind of mid-life crisis mode). When I told him I'd had that license for 27 years (at the time) he called me with a full-coverage annual quote of $182.00. By the time I sold the bike (16 years later) I was paying $78.00 (by then I had dropped all but liability/property damage/theft). I have kept the same insurance company with the Sportster (Foremost) and now pay $138.00 per yearfor full coverage.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle insurance/ riding responsible