Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle insurance/ riding responsible

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007 | 01:29 PM
Nightster2007
Advanced
Default RE: Motorcycle insurance/ riding responsible

ORIGINAL: Budda

I just ran your bike (gsxr 1000) though progressive here in milwaukee and it spit out $980 for a years worth of full coverage. Must depend on where you live
Here in Virginia Beach insurance is crazy. There was something in the news about people crossing the boarder into NC and getting insurance because it is considerably less (almost half of Virginia Beach rates) just 10 miles away, of course its considered insurance fraud. Should have bought my house over there and gained the insurance savings.

Old 11-01-2007 | 01:50 PM
cHarley
Club Member

ORIGINAL: Thumper26

After having been without a bike for the road for a couple of years, I bought a Honda CB-750C. When I went to see my insurance broker, he rolled his eyes and said, "insurance will cost you a fortune because the rates depend on how long you've had a motorcycle license" (he tought I was in some kind of mid-life crisis mode). When I told him I'd had that license for 27 years (at the time) he called me with a full-coverage annual quote of $182.00. By the time I sold the bike (16 years later) I was paying $78.00 (by then I had dropped all but liability/property damage/theft). I have kept the same insurance company with the Sportster (Foremost) and now pay $138.00 per yearfor full coverage.
I think you are right. I've had my MC endorsement for 35 years and really can't believe how low my rates are. I guess it's a good thing I kept the endorsement active during the 20 year MC hiatus while raising the kids.

Old 11-01-2007 | 03:41 PM
dhc8guru
|
Tourer

I have wondered the same myself about the boomers buying bikes for the first time, the amount of accidents. I guess sportbikes are still piling up in greater numbers.

ORIGINAL: Budda

You would think the cruiser crowd would have higher rates considering the 45+ rider has taken over the 20 somethings for death and injuries on motor cycles.

Lots of baby boomer out there buying bikes for the first time that the cannot handle them and get in to wrecks. Just because you can afford somethig does not mean you should buy it. I see it everyday Customer is explainig to the dealer how he just loves his full dresser and that its the first bike he has ever ridden. The dealer just smiles and cashes his big fat check. Good luck organ donor runs through my mind as I leave the store.

Old 11-01-2007 | 03:50 PM
jc_denton
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: dhc8guru

Me and some friends had an insurance conversation and came to the conclusion that rates are definitley not based on the "bike" but rather the group of riders.
Sportbike insurance (full coverage) is insane... if want to amaze yourself, do aProgressive insurance quote on anySportbike. I punched in a quotefor a Honda CBR600F2and the lowest full coverage quote I got was $2200 a year for a 38yr old malewith no accidents and no tickets and excellent credit. In comparison, the 07' Sporty is $190 a year.
I concluded that a Honda CBR is no more likely to kill me than any other bike but the difference is amajority of Sportbike riders drive stupid. Case in point on the weekends Icount an average of 15 sportbike riders,riding wheeliesat80mph inheavy traffic on the highway.Even if they survive dumping the bike, the cars behind them are going to run them over.
So I am glad that I ride a bike that puts me in the insurance categoryof responsible riders...So everyone ride safe and smart and keep my insurance low.
Boy are you misinformed. State Farm does it by the number of ccs only. My 1200 Sportster costs me more than a 600cc crotch rocket would cost me.

Old 11-01-2007 | 05:46 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

Yes, State Farm does base it solely on engine cc's. That was why I started to look around for my motorcycle insurance from other sources after my initial purchase. When I told my State Farm agent (whom I've had everything insured with over over 35 years) that I wasn't going to renew the motorcycle policy, he said that was probably a good idea. State Farm really doesn't want to insure motorcycles. They will, but it's not something they do very well.

Old 11-01-2007 | 08:01 PM
Tango2020
Cruiser

I have state farm and I'm paying $480 a year. I think I'll be looking elsewhere!

Old 11-01-2007 | 08:07 PM
Tango2020
Cruiser

As the maturity thing....reminds me of a joke my dad told me the other day...he's 70. An old bull and a young bull were on a hill overlooking a herd of cows. The young bull said "why don;t we run down there and screw one of those cows". The old bull looked at him and said "why don't we walk down there and screw um all". There are somebenefits to old age.

Old 11-02-2007 | 08:12 AM
Nick
Road Master

Wisdom

Old 11-02-2007 | 12:59 PM
dhc8guru
|
Tourer

You need to start shopping forless expensiveinsurance. State Farm is sticking it too you!

ORIGINAL: jc_denton

ORIGINAL: dhc8guru

Me and some friends had an insurance conversation and came to the conclusion that rates are definitley not based on the "bike" but rather the group of riders.
Sportbike insurance (full coverage) is insane... if want to amaze yourself, do aProgressive insurance quote on anySportbike. I punched in a quotefor a Honda CBR600F2and the lowest full coverage quote I got was $2200 a year for a 38yr old malewith no accidents and no tickets and excellent credit. In comparison, the 07' Sporty is $190 a year.
I concluded that a Honda CBR is no more likely to kill me than any other bike but the difference is amajority of Sportbike riders drive stupid. Case in point on the weekends Icount an average of 15 sportbike riders,riding wheeliesat80mph inheavy traffic on the highway.Even if they survive dumping the bike, the cars behind them are going to run them over.
So I am glad that I ride a bike that puts me in the insurance categoryof responsible riders...So everyone ride safe and smart and keep my insurance low.
Boy are you misinformed. State Farm does it by the number of ccs only. My 1200 Sportster costs me more than a 600cc crotch rocket would cost me.

Old 11-03-2007 | 09:10 AM
mrb302
Road Master

WOW. Some of these rates are crazy...

I'm paying $330/yr for full coverage on my 1200 custom. This is the first bike I have "owned", that is the first one in my name. Also, I don't have the MC endorsement yet, just a "learner's permit".

I hate to advertise for any insurance company, but talk to the gecko if you know what I mean. It was so easy, a caveman can do it.

I shopped my insurance company (Nationwide), Progressive, AIG, and a few others. No one else came close to the rates I got from Geico.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle insurance/ riding responsible