Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vance and hines slipons?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 08:20 PM
utz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default vance and hines slipons?

Do the vance and hines slipons come with baffles if so can they be taken out.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:07 PM
carpet dude
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: vance and hines slipons?

Yes , but i don't think you would want to.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:29 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes, they can be removed, I think my straight shots w/baffles are loud enough.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:42 PM
Tegne
Cruiser

I have the V&H straightshot slip-ons. Yes they come with baffles - if you can call them that. Looking down the inside of the pipe, it is 95%straight through with a baffle design that resembles a spiraling 'worm' down the outer edges of the inside of the pipe. You can clearly see down through the pipe- it's completely open. Clearly the baffles are not designed to offerany resistance to the exhaust gasses, but to probably reduce theharshness of the sound.

I removed and replaced the stock baffleswith the V&Hquiet baffles. Still very loud,but with a lower, less harsh tone.

Nice rumblewhenidling at traffic signals. Always gets a look from pedestrians and other road users.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:57 PM
Dango
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tegne's right. I literally called the company I bought them from and had to ask if they were actually baffles inside. I thought they might be a bit loud but I have gotten used to them. I have an 08 NightRat. I might go with the quiet baffles as well...looking for that "throaty" sound and not so much the "poppy" sound.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:47 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Tegne
I removed and replaced the stock baffleswith the V&Hquiet baffles. Still very loud,but with a lower, less harsh tone.
I did the same thing and think they still sound pretty good. I ran with the stock baffles for a bit but thought it was just a bit too loud.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:38 PM
pwnzilla
Cruiser

I have been going back and forth on whether to get the Slip-Ons with no other mods or go for a full pipe setup, air cleaner, and tuner.

When the 07's were the newest models a couple months ago, everyone was saying you need to have a tuner or new computer for the Slip-Ons but it seams that a lot of people have used them without the tuners and theyre just fine. Now that people have done it and had them for awhile what do you guys think of just running the Straightshot Slip-Ons with the stock EFI settings and A/C(I have an '07)?

FYI: Here's a site that sells the V&H Straightshot Slip-Ons for $209.95 and free shipping.
http://www.gopartsdirect.com/2005/it...;Placeholder=0

Old 11-01-2007, 03:59 PM
jc_denton
Road Captain

They come with baffles. You can also order Quiet Baffles to make them quieter. I would not recommend removing the stock baffles because you will lose performance.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:01 PM
jc_denton
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Dango

Tegne's right. I literally called the company I bought them from and had to ask if they were actually baffles inside. I thought they might be a bit loud but I have gotten used to them. I have an 08 NightRat. I might go with the quiet baffles as well...looking for that "throaty" sound and not so much the "poppy" sound.
Then you should have bought the Screamin' Eagle slip-ons. V&H specializes in harsh/loud. SE specializes in throaty and performance.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:03 PM
jc_denton
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: pwnzilla
Now that people have done it and had them for awhile what do you guys think of just running the Straightshot Slip-Ons with the stock EFI settings and A/C(I have an '07)?
You can run almost any slip-on exhaust without a fuel manager because it doesn't change how the engine works significantly enough that you need one. If you had more air coming in (high-flow air cleaner), then you would want a fuel manager. But the amount of air that exits the bike usually doesn't matter too much.

EDIT: As in, if it's more free-flowing but still has baffles you're probably fine. No baffles, though, causes a loss of performance.

Although you would mainly be doing this for sound, right? You need an a/c and a fuel manager if you want a significant improvement in performance.

Quick Reply: vance and hines slipons?