Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshield cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005 | 12:40 AM
sketch
|
Stage II
Default windshield cleaner

Greetings all,

I just picked up one of those nifty HD quick release detachable compact windshield for my 1200. I cannot say enough good things about it. The clamps they use on these things are so simple and obvious, it makes me wonder why they hadn't done this sooner. My question concerns proper cleaning fluid. I know some fluids will actually streak or even damage windshields so I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations (HD brand or others) on what to use to clean this hard-coated polycarbonate windshield. I appreciate your suggestions.

-sketch

Old 12-18-2005 | 03:22 AM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior
Default RE: windshield cleaner

Sketch: The absolute best is of all things; "Lemon Pledge" furniture cleaner. Spray on and wipe off with a clean soft cloth. About once a year clean the windshield with alcohol/water mixture and start over. In my experience, Lemon Pledge is a better and quicker cleaner than straight Pledge. A commercial pilot flying "fish" in Alaska told me about Lemon Pledge one time when I had my airplane parked at Merrill Field in Anchorage. He said nothing you can put on plastic will make water run off of the windshield faster or clean it better than Lemon Pledge. I found that he was right. The price is right. All of those dedicated expensive plastic cleaners will work, but LP is better and cheaper. ...... BC

I have a Harley windshield and a Memphis Shade windshield on my two H-Ds. I have used nothing but LP on both. Both look great.

Old 12-18-2005 | 01:40 PM
sketch
|
Stage II

Thanks, Big Cholla! Definitely not the answer I was expecting but it sounds like a winner to me. I can't wait to see the look on the wife's face when I tell her I need some Lemon Pledge for the bike.

-sketch

Old 12-18-2005 | 04:56 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member

I also have a friend who is a pilot and swears by lemon pledge.

Apparently it doesn't streak like you would think.

He was telling me to use it on my face shield for my helmet, but I'm not sure I could deal with the lemon scent for too long

Old 12-18-2005 | 08:22 PM
ecvjohn
Banned

Lemon pledge is great. I use it to clean the soft top windows on the Jeep, clear plastic and no streaks or scratches.

Old 12-18-2005 | 10:44 PM
Wolhar
Banned

We use a "generic" furniture polish at work on our production equipment that has plexiglas and lexan windows and doors. Great stuff!

Old 12-19-2005 | 12:20 AM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior

Rhubarb: I should have mentioned that I also use the LP exclusively on both sides of any face shield that I am using. The lemon scent doesn't last long enough to get obnoxious.

I also use it as the cleaner for the area of my front forks that are exposed to bugs and dirt. I have never experianced any weakening of the fork seals because of this use. I'm sure that the manufacturer never invisioned any of these uses for LP when they started making it. .......... BC

Old 12-19-2005 | 12:27 AM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior

Guys: My wife who was raised in Northern Michigan just wandered thru our computer room and read this thread over my shoulder. she told me to tell you that LP was well-known in Michigan for spraying on your snow shovel and into your snow blower to prevent snow from sticking to the surfaces! The miracle product revealed! ...... BC

Old 12-19-2005 | 12:30 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Big Cholla

Rhubarb: I should have mentioned that I also use the LP exclusively on both sides of any face shield that I am using. The lemon scent doesn't last long enough to get obnoxious.

I also use it as the cleaner for the area of my front forks that are exposed to bugs and dirt. I have never experianced any weakening of the fork seals because of this use. I'm sure that the manufacturer never invisioned any of these uses for LP when they started making it. .......... BC
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try it tonight so it can air out overnight.

EDIT*******************

Just tried it, and wow... it worked great.
Smells a bit strong, but hopefully by morning that will be gone. Truth is, its gonna rain for next 4-5 days anyhow, so I doubt it matters.
Took a ton of road grime off that I didn't even know was there. Doesn't seem to fog up anymore either.

Old 12-19-2005 | 01:20 AM
Anniesage
Road Master

living in the Pacific Northwest and riding in alot of rain have to say that using Lemon Pledge on my windshield sure does help get those raindrops off my windshield so I can see the road. Also use it on my helmet and have found that it really helps eliminate (although not completely) those little starburst you see with sunshine.

Quick Reply: windshield cleaner