Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshield cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007 | 10:23 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Default RE: windshield cleaner

Honda Polish.Nothing else my hubby and I have tried takes the bugs off as good. But, then again, we never TRIED Lemon Pledge ........

Old 06-20-2007 | 11:43 PM
ontcanuck
Cruiser

yOUR RIGHT LEMON PLEDGE WORKS GREAT ON WINDSHIELDS BUT DON'T USE IT ON FURNITURE,I KNOW I RE-FINISH FURNITURE.I'TS NASTY STUFF IF USED LONG ENOUGH IT GUMS UP THE WOOD AND WHEN YOU TRY TO REFINISH IT YOU GET CRATORS IN THE LAQUIER FINISH AND ITS REALLY HARD TO GET OUT OF THE WOOD

Old 06-21-2007 | 03:05 AM
Teek
Road Warrior

I've used both the Honda Polish and Pledge. Both work well for getting crusted crustatians off the windshield. Honda no longer makes the spray polish, and I don't know if they have a replacement yet. Something about it being an aeresol. It's also petroleum based. I keep a small can in my saddlebag, but LP is cheap and works great.

Teek

Old 06-21-2007 | 03:31 AM
Zeb
Road Master

ORIGINAL: sketch

Greetings all,

I just picked up one of those nifty HD quick release detachable compact windshield for my 1200. I cannot say enough good things about it. The clamps they use on these things are so simple and obvious, it makes me wonder why they hadn't done this sooner. My question concerns proper cleaning fluid. I know some fluids will actually streak or even damage windshields so I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations (HD brand or others) on what to use to clean this hard-coated polycarbonate windshield. I appreciate your suggestions.

-sketch

Whatever you do, don't use gasoline and a Brillo pad on yer windshield.

Zeb's tip for the day...

Old 06-23-2007 | 10:46 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member

Just a quick follow up here... I tried the Lemon Pledge and it's truly amazing!

Went on a 300+ mile run today, with many bugs up near Lake Superior. I brought the can of LP with me, and used it at each gas stop, and WOW, it really does clean well, and each subsequent cleaning was easier than the previous.

Added bonus: your bike will smell as fresh as the morning dew!

Old 06-24-2007 | 10:27 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

Hummm...interesting. I don't use my wennie shield very often, so it hasn't been clean too many times. I'll tell my "cleaning lady" (aka my wife) about this next time I get her to clean my shield.

Old 06-24-2007 | 10:43 AM
cHarley
Club Member

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

Hummm...interesting. I don't use my wennie shield very often, so it hasn't been clean too many times. I'll tell my "cleaning lady" (aka my wife) about this next time I get her to clean my shield.
I'd suggest you make sure she's not wearing her "Director of War" hat when you tell her. It might cost you the family jewels.

Old 06-24-2007 | 11:24 AM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member

Useing L/P on the faceshield does it make it blury? I would think it has a oily film.

Will try it on the windshield..

Tom

Old 06-24-2007 | 12:05 PM
ride2tires
Road Master

I too have the quick clamp style windscreen and like it.

Couple of notes:
- be sure to check bolts and acorns holding the frame work. Rode a long trip a couple of weeks ago and ended up pulling them all out and putting blue loctite on all of them after loosing two acorns. (Wouldn't be a H/D product if ya did not have to pull it apart and add loctite....)
- watch the gaskets on the fork clamps. lost one of mine from pulling it on and off. without realizing it, lost one and it marked the fork pretty good.

Overall, very happy with it.

Will try the Pledge thing today!!! Sounds like a overall winner!!!

Old 06-25-2007 | 10:18 PM
Evilengineer
Intermediate

I am actually an engineer for a company that makes most of the Lexan windshields in the motorcycle industry. In the factory, and during bike shows, we use Plexus or Honda polish. With all of the years experience the company has, I trust their judgement. We get a huge scrap heap of shields each year because people did not follow the cleaning instructions. Lemon pledge should work just fine because there shouldn't be any chemicals that could react with the coating. We are also about to come out with a cleaner and rain x type combo that is amazing when riding in the rain or when bugs hit the shield.

Quick Reply: windshield cleaner