Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does the turn signal

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Elena P.
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does the turn signal

know when its time to stop blinki8ng? It is not by timer, cause every time different. Not by lean, I tried to move it left-right - iy does not stop. But it turns itself off after I finish the turn.How?
--
Ontario bike places - http://thycomp.com/moto

Old 10-28-2007, 08:35 PM
mrb302
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How does the turn signal

by mileage traveled...

Old 10-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Elena P.
Intermediate

I could be wrong, but I tried to turn on the turn signal on highway and did not change lines - it keeps blinking. Weird
Ontario bike places - http://thycomp.com/moto

Old 10-28-2007, 08:40 PM
indyjeff
Road Captain

calculation of time AND distance

Old 10-28-2007, 08:40 PM
mrb302
Road Master

I tested mine because I was trying to figure it out too. On a long straight stretch, turn it on and just ride. If you keep watching it and thinking about it, it seems like it is taking forever... Trust me. That's how mine work. Either that or it's just plain magic.

"A watched pot never boils"

Old 10-28-2007, 08:46 PM
Booey424
Grand HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's on some kinda sensor in the transmission.Mine stopped going off by itself when the speedometer stopped working.I was told it was a speed sensor.They fixed it at the dealer.Some kinda magnet in there.Atleast thats what I was told

Old 10-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Tegne
Cruiser

For some bizarre reason, my blinkers work perfectly 99% of the time when riding at regular speeds, making turns and changing lanes. When I turn into my condominium car park, however, they keep blinking and I have to cancel manually. Obviously, speed/distance travelled is a factor.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:38 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine blinks 12 times, I usally have to hit it twice.
ORIGINAL: Tegne

For some bizarre reason, my blinkers work perfectly 99% of the time when riding at regular speeds, making turns and changing lanes. When I turn into my condominium car park, however, they keep blinking and I have to cancel manually. Obviously, speed/distance travelled is a factor.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:02 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I can't remember the technical terms for the different computer sensors that make that work at this point, and I'm not gonna drag out the manual to look up all of the specific system names.However, this isn't a highly technical discussion, so I'll try to explain.

The self cancelling turn signals work by taking data from the lean sensor, the speed sensor, and the ignition sensor. Once you have activated the turn signal, you are usually either going to stop and then start, lean the bike and slow down, followed by excellerating, or many other similar attitude adjustments to the bike.

By using these data collection tools on the bike, the turn signals are able to self cancell pretty accurately, I'd say 95% of the time. It will not work for a simple lane change on a straight highway.

Pretty hightech for Harley. Most metric bikes don't have this feature. At least notthat properly functions. It's also part of the technology that allows for emergency flashers, which most metric bikes don't have. Depending on where and how your ride. emergency flashers can be VERY handy.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:42 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the explanation! I noticed on mine when I make a slow, wide turn without upsetting the attitude of the bike that much, it will stay on until I "weave" a little. Sometimes I can get it to self cancel during a quick lane-change, but during most lane changes, I'll cancel it manually. The signals are a heckuva lot different than my typically metric Shadow, but the more I use the turn signals on my Harley, the more I like them! The hazard flashers are a VERY nice touch! I've actually used them once while pulling over to the side of the road to put in some earplugs.

Teek

Quick Reply: How does the turn signal