Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does the turn signal

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 06:43 PM
evilscotsman
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How does the turn signal

It works kinda' like a refrigerator light. When you close the door, a little penguin turns your fridge light off. When you open the door he turns it on real quick and hides. His cousin lives in your turn signals on your scoot and uses the same technique.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:00 PM
ride2tires
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: evilscotsman

It works kinda' like a refrigerator light. When you close the door, a little penguin turns your fridge light off. When you open the door he turns it on real quick and hides. His cousin lives in your turn signals on your scoot and uses the same technique.
LMAO!!!!

Old 10-29-2007, 07:16 PM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

..on an 07,.when you hit the turn signal switch,the system starts a 20 count...As long as the bike is going OVER 7 MPH the signal will self-cancel after 20 flashes unless something changes the equation......if your speed drops to 7 MPH or less the flashing will continue...when/if your speed reaches 8MPH again(before leaning)the 20 count will start again...unless you make a turn...then the turn signals will self cancel within 2 seconds via a 'lean angle sensor'...the LAS self calibrates every time you ride your bike....I used an OHM meter,screwdriver,Crecent wrench,sledge hammer and the HD Electrical Diagnostics Manual to figure this out....(mostly the manual)...:&gt

Old 10-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

I can't remember the technical terms for the different computer sensors that make that work at this point, and I'm not gonna drag out the manual to look up all of the specific system names.However, this isn't a highly technical discussion, so I'll try to explain.

The self cancelling turn signals work by taking data from the lean sensor, the speed sensor, and the ignition sensor. Once you have activated the turn signal, you are usually either going to stop and then start, lean the bike and slow down, followed by excellerating, or many other similar attitude adjustments to the bike.

By using these data collection tools on the bike, the turn signals are able to self cancell pretty accurately, I'd say 95% of the time. It will not work for a simple lane change on a straight highway.

Pretty hightech for Harley. Most metric bikes don't have this feature. At least notthat properly functions. It's also part of the technology that allows for emergency flashers, which most metric bikes don't have. Depending on where and how your ride. emergency flashers can be VERY handy.
Smarter than you ferkin look aint ya?

Old 10-29-2007, 07:44 PM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jc_denton

ORIGINAL: HighDesertKid
I don't understand why the metric set-up would be easier... I have used both types and I definitely prefer the HD set-up.... You can still manually cancel the blinker by clicking it again... You can also trigger hazard lights by holding both switches at the same time... It just makes more sense to have the switches on their prospective sides... I have never had a problem with rolling the throttle after hitting the right blinker... Are you really holding the switch down THAT long?
First off, do you ever ride one-handed? If so, which hand do you take off the handlebars? Your left, correct? That's exactly my point: the left hand is completely useless unless you are shifting, which is why it makes sense to have it be the only hand doing the turn signals. Your right hand should never have to cover anything but the throttle and the brakes if you want the safest bike possible.

Also, a lot of times if you're aggressively stopping to approach a stop, and you want to blip through the gears while braking, it's a fair bit more difficult to hold the brakes, blip the throttle and hit the turn signal at the same time. Not impossible, but it would be much easier to do the signal with your left hand because all it's doing is clutch and nothing else.

As per your question, I just go for a quick tap. Still, if you hit a bump or something while reaching for the signal, and you only have your four fingers on top of the throttle and no thumb on the bottom, it presents a potentialto roll on the throttle when you don't want to. It was more of an issue when I first got the bike, now I'm used to it, but it's much easier to have your right hand fully on the throttle and your left hand, which is currently doing jack crap hit the signal switch.
Still never had that problem... but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:45 PM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can't remember the technical terms for the different computer sensors that make that work at this point, and I'm not gonna drag out the manual to look up all of the specific system names.However, this isn't a highly technical discussion, so I'll try to explain.

The self cancelling turn signals work by taking data from the lean sensor, the speed sensor, and the ignition sensor. Once you have activated the turn signal, you are usually either going to stop and then start, lean the bike and slow down, followed by excellerating, or many other similar attitude adjustments to the bike.

By using these data collection tools on the bike, the turn signals are able to self cancell pretty accurately, I'd say 95% of the time. It will not work for a simple lane change on a straight highway.

Pretty hightech for Harley. Most metric bikes don't have this feature. At least notthat properly functions. It's also part of the technology that allows for emergency flashers, which most metric bikes don't have. Depending on where and how your ride. emergency flashers can be VERY handy.
That's the best explanation I've ever heard... Damn.... I'm gonna borrow that one

Old 10-30-2007, 01:15 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: HighDesertKid

That's the best explanation I've ever heard... Damn.... I'm gonna borrow that one
I still prefer the penguin's cousin doing the signal cancelling!

Teek

Old 10-30-2007, 10:42 AM
JC Rider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does it know ? It just does? Just like a spider knows how to build a web or a duck knows when to fly south, it just does.

Don't try to figure it out, it just does, enjoy it.